The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

Ya I've played with the pivot a bit... Kind of a bummer as I have had it less then a week... But I'll probably see if I can get it sent to the mothership... If I am holding it (pressure on lock bar) there is no lock rock, but if I hold the knife at the back, there is some slight lock rock. The lock bar seems pretty loose..

So just an update... with everything going on in the world I'm going to hold off on sending this back to Russia - but Tom at Shiro has been very helpful and very prompt in getting back to me with questions... they will definitely take a look if I decide to send it back in.

I decided to take it down again and really clean it... it seems better now - I'm finding there definitely is a pivot sweet spot where it can be free falling and have no blade play/rock... over tightening actually seems to make it worse from what I am seeing... also "loose" in terms of the lockbar I think was a poor term... I think shiro's just seem to "unlock easier" then I am used to with ZTs and other frame locks.

So for the meantime - I'm happy... good cleaning and proper pivot tightening seems to have resolved what I was feeling for the most part. May still send it for a spa treatment once the world gets back to normal... but I'm happy for now :)

Hi guys!! I have been hanging around, just not posting much here. :(
How is the new Quantum? Im highly interested, and was wondering if anyone has one yet and their overall thoughts.
Thanks folks!

Hi guys!! I have been hanging around, just not posting much here. :(
How is the new Quantum? Im highly interested, and was wondering if anyone has one yet and their overall thoughts.
Thanks folks!
I was just about to pull the trigger on one as well. Would like to know

I was just about to pull the trigger on one as well. Would like to know

You stay away from my Quantum!! Ahahaha.
Just kidding, all in good fun.
If you decide to pull the trigger, let us know what you think.
At the price of a 95R, it seems like an upgrade in milling and shape.

But it just doesn’t have that incredible slope from the handle down to the tip that draws me to shiros.

my dad is letting me borrow his yamaha LL-45 so i took a pic with a different birth certificate

hP5TQ6A.jpg

IMG_5276.JPG IMG_5956.JPG Acquired my first Shiro recently off the exchange for a sweet deal, the Tabargan, and oh what a smooth action! :cool: Fairly humble materials on this example with 440C and G10 but it definitely exudes fine build quality and has me lusting after a flipper now. :eek:Been eyeing the F95NL since im a sucker for OD micarta and dont own any elmax yet. :rolleyes: Enjoy seeing all the fine examples of bears in this thread and acquiring more knowledge about these knives. :)

I miss my tabargan. Thought about grabbing another then this virus stuff hit. Gonna have on to my case for a bit in case I, or someone close, needs a bail out.

View attachment 1312083 View attachment 1312084 Acquired my first Shiro recently off the exchange for a sweet deal, the Tabargan, and oh what a smooth action! :cool: Fairly humble materials on this example with 440C and G10 but it definitely exudes fine build quality and has me lusting after a flipper now. :eek:Been eyeing the F95NL since im a sucker for OD micarta and dont own any elmax yet. :rolleyes: Enjoy seeing all the fine examples of bears in this thread and acquiring more knowledge about these knives. :)

Nice one, Edge, and exactly like mine. I'm fine with the humble materials as Shiro's 440C takes a wicked keen edge and the G10 has just the right bite to be really solid in hand. I really like the coarse stonewash on the blade too, as mine became a work user right away and that finish is extremely wear-hiding. I got some scuffs on one side of the blade and you really have to hold the knife just right to see 'em. Yours looks brand new and I know you good a real good deal on it. Great pick-up! :thumbsup:

I miss my tabargan. Thought about grabbing another then this virus stuff hit. Gonna have on to my case for a bit in case I, or someone close, needs a bail out.

I know where you're comin' from, SVT. I've got some extra dough coming my way soon and was thinking about treating myself to an expensive new blade, but with everything that's going on right now it's a good time to lay low, be conservative, and see where we are when we come out the other side of this.

What? You got a problem with CF?
Lol. No if the mail ever delivers. The carbon fiber pic is next. I actually like my carbon 111 the best.
Thought about grabbing another then this virus stuff hit. Gonna have on to my case for a bit in case I, or someone close, needs a bail out:
Same here.Picked up the doctor death just before the virus hit big. Wife is now out of work without pay. No more toys for a while. Plus I am retiring in October so need to conserve funds till we figure out the financials.

Last edited:
That is nice CPP!
Question for the group please. The Doctor Death is a 300 series custom run. What box did they get shipped in? The normal dark brown or the custom lighter brown?

Mr.sig239 Mr.sig239 , I don't know what a "300 series custom run" is. I would describe the RDD as a "collaboration" and, to my knowledge, each of the Dr Death versions was produced in a run of 100. I may be incorrect, but I believe the light brown boxes are more recent than those used for the earlier collaboration runs including the first two versions of the RDD.

Forgive the lousy pics, as it's another dreary day in a weeks' worth of them here on the Cape, but here's what came with my RDD.

Edit: Slow on the uptake here, as I was writing while CPP CPP posted. Funny how our cards have the same number. ;)
56V2kpT.jpg

6lCoqO7.jpg

Back