The Best Movies You've Never Heard Of

Bumppo said:
"Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" The story of two lesser known characters in "Hamlet". A young Gary Oldman, and Richard Dryfuss are in it, very clever and wry.

Holy Crap! It's out on DVD!!! I was talking with someone about this movie about a year & a half ago & knew there was some buzz about a release but it's actually out! This is going on my list of DVDs to buy, I loved the dialog, very fast & witty, Tom Stopard at his best. Thanks Bumppo, I'd fogetten about this one.

p.s. You forgot to mention a very young Tim Roth playing opposite Gary Oldman.

Just rented a good one, The Jacket. I'd describe it as The Ninth Configuration meets The Butterfly Effect **** four stars out of five.

-Bob

Though I don't know if The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is obscure to most, I'm recommending it. I remember getting about an hour into it and thinking "I can't believe I spent 5 bucks to rent this, but I'm damned well going to finish it."

Then the ending, and I'm thinking it's one of the best films I've ever seen.

"Heathers" Very good very dark comedy about teenage angst. Winnona Ryder and Christian Slater.

As far as documentaries or docudramas go, stay with me here. Disney is putting out a movie called "Eight Below" which is based on a true story. I understand the story it is based on is about a team of "Eskimo" dogs who were on a failed mission and tried to make it back to camp by themselves. In real life, all of the dogs died, but what made it into a tragedy worthy of telling was one of the dogs was found almost home, and they rest of the team was tracked backwards from there. They did not find all of the bodies, but filled in the questions with likely scenarios. ( I am fairly certain Disneys version will be, well, Disney) Anyway, The story was made into a docudrma released in the late eighties or early nineties. I believe it was Japanese dubbed in english. I have been looking for it for some time, but do not recall the name. If someone knows or hears a reference, I would be greatful.
Bubbacatfish- yep, Tim Roth is in Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. I have been tracking that movie for years. It is and was greatly underappreciated.
Heads....Heads....Heads....Heads....Heads....Heads....Heads....Heads....Heads.

"Apt Pupil" a Ian Mckellean (?) film. Great mental chess being played in that film.

And "Lilies in the Field" with Sidney Poiter was pretty good as well. As was "In the Heat of Night" with Poiter.

How did I forget "Big Trouble". What a sleeper. Tom Sizemore should have won an Oscar for his performance. He and Johnny Knoxville were two of the funniest criminals ever. An absolutely hilarious movie with great performances from just about everyone.

Directed by the former cinematographer for the Coen Bros.

" The Last Valley" with Michael Caine, and Babette's Feast (subtitled),look them up at imdb.com.

braddy said:
" The Last Valley" with Michael Caine, and Babette's Feast (subtitled),look them up at imdb.com.

I really enjoyed The Last Valley, Caine has done some amazing movies (and some not so amazing). Nigel Davenport is in it too, anybody ever seen No Blade of Grass? Maybe not a good movie but an interesting story & would benefit from a remake - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066154/ - unlike most of the ones Hollywood has butchered in the last few years.

You clearly know about movies , I truly believe "Evil Roy Slade", with John Aston would become a favorite of any weapons forum, once it was seen.

braddy said:
You clearly know about movies , I truly believe "Evil Roy Slade", with John Aston would become a favorite of any weapons forum, once it was seen.

I checked IMDB as it didn't ring any bells. It's 1972 & made for TV, who knows, I may have seen at least some of it at one time or another (spent a lot of time in front of the tube in the late 70's early 80's), kinda sounds like a "Support Your Local Sheriff" / "Support Your Local Gunfighter"... Looks like a great cast, Henry Gibson & Dick Shawn are ALWAYS good & I loved Astin on The Addams Family so if i ever see it anywhere I give it a go, thanks braddy.

savagesicslayer said:
Boondock saints!!!!F***ing love that flick.

Suprised this wasn't mentioned earlier.... awesome flick.

I also like:

The Jacket
Samurai Fiction
C'était un Rendezvous (short)
Kung Fu Hustle
Following (if you like Memento)
Seven Samurai (Kurosawa)
Swingers
Bottle Rocket
Four Rooms
Rushmore

I wish I hadn't packed my DVD collection, I could check the shelf for more...

ccryan said:
Suprised this wasn't mentioned earlier.... awesome flick.

I also like:

The Jacket
Samurai Fiction
C'était un Rendezvous (short)
Kung Fu Hustle
Following (if you like Memento)
Seven Samurai (Kurosawa)
Swingers
Bottle Rocket
Four Rooms
Rushmore

I wish I hadn't packed my DVD collection, I could check the shelf for more...

Ditto on Boondock Saints.....

Four Rooms is an interesting pick. Never saw it dvertised or heard of it by word of mouth. Searched on Tim Roth in imdb.com and decided to give it a try. Never guessed Marisa Tomei as the wasted friend of the hotel manager until the credits rolled. Bruce Willis, Quentin, and Roth were superb in the final act. Oh yeah....and Banderas, Roth, and the kids with dead hooker....LMAO. This ain't your Jerry Lewis The Bellhop remake.

Memento is awesome! I'll check out Following based on your rec. :thumbup:

Still have a soft spot in my funny-bone for The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Accross the 8th Dimension! Never heard or saw adverts but it well deserves it's cult status. Peter Weller just couldn't pull off the same tongue-in-cheek coolness in Naked Lunch

There's a sequel to Boondock Saints in the pipeline, hope they don't screw it up, the first one's brillant.

Buckaroo Banzi played at a local 2nd run/art house theatre for a year or two back when it first came out, a bunch of my friends & I saw it in double or triple bills regularly. Can't for they life of me remember any of the other films it played with but I sure got my money's worth out of that flick...

Whorfin: 'Where are we going?' All: 'Planet ten!', Whorfin: 'When?' All: 'Real soon!'

Two odd ball films come to mind, one is an old John Carpenter film "They Live" that film also has a really cool fight seen in it played by "Rowdy" Roddy Piper. And "Eric the Red", a funny Tim Robbins film.

And a strange one is "Aracnaphobia" with John Goodman, and "Run silent run deep" with Robert Mitchum that pits a destroyer captain against a German submarine captain. I may be wrong about the title, but it is a great film.

Has anyone ever heard of a film named "Mari Bunta"?

I'll add a quirky indie film starring Steve Buscemi - "In the Soup" 1992. Offbeat and entertaining. With Stanley Tucci and Sam Rockwell.

bubbacatfish said:
I checked IMDB as it didn't ring any bells. It's 1972 & made for TV, who knows, I may have seen at least some of it at one time or another (spent a lot of time in front of the tube in the late 70's early 80's), kinda sounds like a "Support Your Local Sheriff" / "Support Your Local Gunfighter"... Looks like a great cast, Henry Gibson & Dick Shawn are ALWAYS good & I loved Astin on The Addams Family so if i ever see it anywhere I give it a go, thanks braddy.

It is that, but Aston is so very evil and so inseparable from his weapons ,it is a crack -up. I just ordered the movie from "thesmallscreen.org", they have a small selection of never put on DVD, DVDs. Don't know where they get the DVDs, but they are legal, and if one comes out from the mainstream industry smallscreen will discontinue it.

Two oldies that I have recently revisited:

Sleeper: Diane Keeton/Woody Alan - probably the only Woody Alan movie that I have ever seen more then once. An ordinary guy checks into the hospital for minor surgery and awakes on the most wanted list 200 years later.

Black Day at Black Rock(1955): Spencer Tracy, Robert Ryan, Lee Marvin, and Ernest Borgnine - Kind of a combination High Noon meets First Blood. A soldier left handicaped by the war travels to a remote jerkwater town to pay his respects to the family of the man who saved his life. The town makes it clear that they don't want him there from the minute he steps off the train. He is only visiting for the day; that may prove a few hours too long; the question is for whom. Spencer was nominated for a third Oscar for his performance in this one...

n2s

Back