The Best Movies You've Never Heard Of

Henry: Portrait of a serial killer. A movie that every woman should watch. Think of it as a training aid to the dark side of man. Dark, very dark. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099763/

Pi. An indie film at it's best. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138704/

Meet the Feebles. Too much for some. You better have a good (slightly twisted) sense of humor. Peter Jackson at his finest. I laughed until I cried. My stomach muscles were actually sore after this one from laughing so hard. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097858/

River's Edge. Classic Dennis Hopper as Feck. His best role ever IMHO. Brought back memories of my youth, ha, ha. Well, except for the part about murder of course! :D http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091860/

Drugstore Cowboy's. A great film on so many different levels I don't even know where to begin. Great dialogue and if you don't feel for Matt Dillon by the end of the movie you have NO heart. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097240/

As for ones already mentioned, I have to say the following were great:

Memento.
Bad Lieutenant.
Taxi Driver.
Death Hunt.

All classics!

Oh yeah, I forgot to add a documentary.
Waco: The Rules of Engagement. A sad comment on the state of our Federal law enforcement in the 90's. Why didn't they just pull Koresh over on a felony stop during one of his many foray's into town. Oh yeah, the ATF wanted a big publicity raid right before their budget went before Congress. :mad: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120472/plotsummary

I wouldn't quite consider Ong-Bak to be a martial arts movie. It's more of a stunt movie with lots of unrealistic (but fun to watch!) fights thrown in.

Shao

Tanto Fiend said:
Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior is IMO the best obscure martial arts movie out there. Tony Jaa does his own stunts and is a mix between Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, and Jet Li. There is one scene where he is doing some acrobatic flips in a chase scene and in the background written on a wall reads "Hey Spielberg, lets do it together." No sexual innuendo there, I'm sure it has to do with Tony Jaa taunting him about the special effects Spielberg uses or something along those lines. A good example of "Engrish"-bad translation

Some of my personal favorites that you've probably never seen or heard of:

1. Flag of Iron - Shaw Bros. kung-fu starring the Venoms! Awesome weapons handling and fighting.

2. A History of Violence - pretty new Cronenberg film. Amazed no one has heard of this movie. Brutal!

3. Impostor - Film based on Philip K. Dick story starring Gary Sinise - highly underrated slice of sci-fi action.

4. Naked Lunch - Pure weirdness from Cronenberg.

5. Born Invincible - virtually unknown Carter Wong kung-fu flick. Pure fun.

Shao

Oh my gosh, I had no idea this thread was still going strong! After everyone is in bed I'm gonna sit down and read each post and make some netflix notes.

Btw, I saw a good one the other day - "Kinsey"

It was mentioned above, but bears repeating - Repo Man - one of the best movies ever in my opinion. Every single line of dialogue is perfect.

Miller: A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Otto: You eat a lot of acid, Miller, back in the hippie days?

Miller: I'll give you another instance: you know how everybody's into weirdness right now?...​

Although not a movie, the DVD release of the TV show 'Firefly" is out and is really good. A very fresh approach/alternative to the Star Trek sci fi model. A mix of cowboy westerns and sci fi with very approachable characters.

'Style Wars" about graffiti and break dancing in NYC in the 80s
Awesome public arts film...

brewthunda said:
It was mentioned above, but bears repeating - Repo Man - one of the best movies ever in my opinion. Every single line of dialogue is perfect.

"Duke, let's go do some crimes." Always loved that line. Or the variety store where the beer is labelled simply "beer", black lettering on a white can. Haven't seen the movie in over a decade but it's still a favourite.

shao.fu.tzer said:
I wouldn't quite consider Ong-Bak to be a martial arts movie. It's more of a stunt movie with lots of unrealistic (but fun to watch!) fights thrown in.

Shao

I doubt there are many 'realistic' martial arts movies.

You really think Jackie Chan fights like that in real life? As in jumping everywhere, using chairs and all?

Even Bruce Lee in real life fought slightly differently than in his movies.

Ong Bak is great 'cos you know he doesn't use any wires.

One I've recently watched again.

Eraserhead - one of the most original and bizarre movies I've ever seen.

fixer27 said:
....., and "Run silent run deep" with Robert Mitchum that pits a destroyer captain against a German submarine captain. I may be wrong about the title, but it is a great film......

That was: "The Enemy Below."

"Run Silent, Run Deep" featured Burt Lancaster and Clark Gable. Both good yarns.

I just picked up "To End All Wars".Keifer sutherland,Robert Carlyle(?) as pows during the secod world war in burma.Really great flick.
And "Fifty-Fifty.An old shoot-em-up from way back.Prety funny.

Tampopo, from Japan, recounts food related stories that mesh the lives of different folks together, and another food related movie, Eating Raoul, where two resturaunt owners find a unique way of disposing of their victims.

How about Army of Darkness with Bruce Campbell at his hammy best? It's always good to see what big-time movie director Sam Raimi used to direct before he did Spider-Man.

m_calingo said:
How about Army of Darkness with Bruce Campbell at his hammy best? It's always good to see what big-time movie director Sam Raimi used to direct before he did Spider-Man.

sci fi channel watcher? That was on today and to use the word "campy" would be an understatement.....:D

there was a old horror flick named "Asmodeus" featuring Robert Culp that was great for the time.

As is "The man who would be King" good films

Try "The Bridge" from http://www.warshows.com/. It is a profoundlymoving story of a group of teenagers drafted into the German Army in the Spring of 1945. They are left to defend the bridge into their home town when the rest of their militia regiment is ordered off to the front. This is not an easy film to watch, nor is it a happy film, but it is one of exceeding power.

Another great film of which almost nobody has ever heard is "The Warlord" with Charlton Heston, Richard Boone, and Guy Stockwell in the major roles as a Norman knight in the 11th Century given a holding by his lord to uphold the authority of that lord when his predecessors had failed. Heston is Chrysagon, the knight, Stockwell is his oh so competitive younger brother (as Normans were trained to be), and Boone is Bors, the seneschal to Heston's knight. Very dark and very gritty. Not at all romantic, Very realistic. And very, very well done.

FullerH said:
Another great film of which almost nobody has ever heard is "The Warlord" with Charlton Heston, Richard Boone, and Guy Stockwell in the major roles as a Norman knight in the 11th Century given a holding by his lord to uphold the authority of that lord when his predecessors had failed. Heston is Chrysagon, the knight, Stockwell is his oh so competitive younger brother (as Normans were trained to be), and Boone is Bors, the seneschal to Heston's knight. Very dark and very gritty. Not at all romantic, Very realistic. And very, very well done.

I saw The Warlord years ago on TV & remember liking it. I wouldn't mind seeing it again, don't know if I'd buy it though.

Back