The Best of The Best

eveled

Gold Member
This thread is a place for people to post things that they have found to be “The Best”. Maybe we can save others from the junkie versions.

So if you have used more than one brand of something a lot and have found one that in your opinion is the absolute best of the lot. Post it up here.

Klein is well known for their electrical tools. A product they get little attention for is their adjustable wrenches.

Klein adjustable wrenches far exceed any other brand I have used. They are smoother and more precise. The jaws are actually parallel! They hold up better to abuse and the screw that holds the worm gear in place doesn’t strip out.

they cost about 4 times as much but are worth it.

Last edited:
Oakley glasses. I am very hard on glasses, very hard. The only time I take them off is to sleep and to look at thing up close, like a phone or when tinkering. I've been wearing them for 15 years. Normally I go through glasses every year or two. I've had my current ones (airdrop) for 3 or 4 years with no signs of wear.

My previous pairs I usually got 3 or 4 years but I bent the metal so much they warped. Being their proprietary polymer, these current ones retain their shape well, and are near indestructible.

I'm usually not a brand loyal guy, but some experiences make me so.

Lucky Brand jeans, Harman/Kardon and it's derivatives JBL and Infinity, Sharp TV, KIA, a few others.

I used to love Craftsman tools, but now, not so much.

There are more brands I will not buy than there are I will specifically buy.

I'll add to this later when I'm not half asleep.

Tilley hats are pretty awesome https://www.bladeforums.com/account/th-attachment-manager/999563/view
view

Last edited:
For the average Joe Channellock pliers are king.
Sure Knipex is supposed to be the top of the line but I've had zero problems with anything Channellock from my grandfather's 1933 #420 to the second new pair of #420 I just bought last week.
The value for dollar ratio is unsurpassed.

And the last line of Craftsman pliers made by Western Forge, they're more expensive than Channellock but when you can find them NOS "and they are still pretty available " are excellent pliers.
I know guys who will put them up against anything, especially the flush rivet slipjoint and tongue & Grooves.

Last edited:
Fisher space pen refills. Their pens are a little goofy, but their refills are worth every penny. Especially if you write on a lot of hang tags. Or against a wall a lot. I get the cross style. Been using them for years.

Last edited:
Echo anything. I've had an Echo straight shaft weedeater for over 10 years. I winterize it by running Stabil thru it AND running it out of gas. When it starts to die, I hit the primer bulb until it officially dies. I leave the gas cap off for a few hours and let the tank dry.
In the spring, new gas/oil and I guarantee you I can start it in 3 pulls or less.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
Fisher space pen refills. Their pens are a little goofy, but their refills are worth every penny. Especially if you write on a lot of hang tags. Or against a wall a lot. I get the cross style. Been using them for years.
I am not as enamored of Space Pen refills as some are. The colored refills are especially blobby. The variety of line widths is also limited. Parker used to offer Broad, Medium, Fine, Extra Fine, and Extra Extra Fine. Fisher to my knowledge never offered more than 2 choices.
If you are writing on the wall or someone’s back, Fisher is the go to refill. They write upside down, under water, over grease. On dry, clean, right side up paper, they skip and blob in my experience.
I went to the factory store and got a bunch of hard to find refills. They don’t compare to the Parkers in my experience. Try to find an Extra Fine Fisher refill. They don”t exist.

Last edited:
They are limited. I buy the fine. My only complaint is they run out with no warning. Like someone flips a switch. But they are good to the last drop.

I’m not writing fine essays. I’m writing at weird angles on oily wet card stock usually. So they are ideal for me.

the waterman fountain pen you showed is about 10 levels above me. I can see were it would be a joy to use

I quit rotating through my pen collection when I got the Waterman. It writes first time every time.

View attachment 1222941
I am not as enamored of Space Pen refills as some are. The colored refills are especially blobby. The variety of line widths is also limited. Parker used to offer Broad, Medium, Fine, Extra Fine, and Extra Extra Fine. Fisher to my knowledge never offered more than 2 choices.
If you are writing on the wall or someone’s back, Fisher is the go to refill. They write upside down, under water, over grease. On dry, clean, right side up paper, they skip and blob in my experience.
I went to the factory store and got a bunch hard to find refills. They don’t compare to the Parkers in my experience. Try to find an Extra Fine Fisher refill. They don”t exist.

I've gotta have a Fisher At work.
When I have to spend over an hour in the walk-in fridge and freezer putting the truck load away and counting / checking everything off the list to make sure it all arrived, I've had regular pens stop working on me while my Fisher bullet never fails.

I've gotta have a Fisher At work.
When I have to spend over an hour in the walk-in fridge and freezer putting the truck load away and counting / checking everything off the list to make sure it all arrived, I've had regular pens stop working on me while my Fisher bullet never fails.

So if you work in a freezer or outer space or under water, Fisher is the ticket.

Kind of silly but.. Kent combs! Whether you want regular comb or little moustache comb you can't beat the value. They are smooth and rounded for not breaking your face or face hair. Only negative is that I keep misplacing them.

Grunden's rain gear rules the roost.

The fishing fleet out here on the coast swears by them, so I ponied up the cash. So glad I did.

Tough, comfortable, and they just plain work.

I’ve thought about buying a set of Grudens many times.

Back