The Best of The Best

Fun trivia : among the Campy tool user crowd Channellock pliers are known as "The Huffy Tool".

Filson :thumbsup:

LOL! I never heard that one before. The French Canadian tradesmen I knew when I was a kid used to call them Italian ratchets.

“Look at that stripped bolt!”

“Someone used an Italian ratchet on it!”

No offense to Italians. Being French Canadian we tended to fight with the Italians. In a good natured way. After fighting with them my entire life. My DNA test says I’m 30% Italian. 0% French. Go figure.

Last edited:
LOL! I never heard that one before. The French Canadian tradesmen I knew when I was a kid used to call them Italian ratchets.

“Look at that stripped bolt!”

“Someone used an Italian ratchet on it!”

No offense to Italians. Being French Canadian we tended to fight with the Italians. In a good natured way. After fighting with them my entire life. My DNA test says I’m 30% Italian. 0% French. Go figure.

Lol I'm 50% Italian, Sicilian in fact. Speaking of Italy and hanging people in the streets, it worked with Mussolini. Hasn't been a dicktator there since. Yes I know I spelled it wrong.

I have a lot of items that I only have one of from a specific brand, but would make me consider replacing with the same or similar from that country.

I have a Marmot down jacket, 800 fill, that is over 10 years old. Most jackets/coats tend to rip easily. Not this thing. I'll probably replace it next year, it's very worn, starting to lose down. I put a thick hooded sweatshirt on under it, and I'm warm down to about 15°F.

My leather UGGs. Not your typical boots by UGG. 6 years and still going strong, though the vibram soles are fairly worn. I love them. Problem is, they are long discontinued. The lastest similar style lacks the vibram soles.

Pics are from January. No longer using a walker, haven't needed it since March.

DRyLu3B.jpg

JwTPtY8.jpg

2006 Toyota Camry i4 engine, 180k miles, several batteries, tires,fan belt,that's it.... I'm the original owner,and it still looks decent. I love this car
My wife's Tokyo built 2006 4Runner now has >270,000 miles on it. It has less than 5 when we bought it in February 2006. Reliable. Reliable. Reliable.

Victorinox.

So I had my ChillMed medicine bag in hand on Friday, and set it on top of the SUV to strap my nephew in as my mom ran inside. He's 2. We left, 6 of us, and I forgot it on top of the SUV. Didn't realize it until we got to our destination, a good 20 miles away. 5 hours later, we find it on the road in the middle of the night. 45mph road. All my insulin/diabetes stuff is shattered, destroyed. Bag is nearly destroyed. Super Tinker is absolutely fine. Small chip out of the red scale. LOL. Like a craftsman tool commercial back in the day.

I'll throw in a nod to Wiha precision bits/drivers. All it takes is one rounded off head in a pocket clip or watch bracelet to realize that they are well worth the minimal extra cost over the cheapos.

Miyota Caliber 9000 watch movements.

Miyota is the watch movement division of Japan's Citizen Watch Co., Ltd. Miyota's Caliber 9000 series are mechanical movements built to compete with Swiss ETA, whose movements are commonly used in high end luxury watches. I own a Parnis wrist watch with a Miyota 9100 movement. This is the movement with the most "complications" in the 9000 series: it has the time, day, date, month, a synchronized 24 hour hand, and a top mounted power reserve indicator. I have read that it retails for about $120 but you can buy it in quantity for $80. My Parnis usually sells for $200–$220, but I was able to buy one on sale with an good eBay coupon for $160.

9100-0-jpg.1035445

It ran 4+ seconds/day when I bought it, but it does better than that now and it is the most accurate mechanical watch I own. If you are shopping for a micro brand mechanical watch, look for one with a Miyota Caliber 9000 movement: you are most likely to see 9015 and 9039.

Edit 12/24: I set my watch today and it's still running 4+ seconds/day. That's not up to the early 20th century railroad standard of +/– 15 seconds/week, but for an affordable 21st century watch it's pretty good.

Parnis sells 9100 movement watches with a readable date complication instead of a power reserve indicator. Power reserve is not that important with a hand winding movement.

7146W73BrLL._UL1010_.jpg

The only other affordable I've found with this movement is Aragon's Divemaster 9100, when they have it in stock and on sale. Today it's $199.88, 50 MM case only.

A051SLV-5T.jpg

Last edited:
Victorinox.

So I had my ChillMed medicine bag in hand on Friday, and set it on top of the SUV to strap my nephew in as my mom ran inside. He's 2. We left, 6 of us, and I forgot it on top of the SUV. Didn't realize it until we got to our destination, a good 20 miles away. 5 hours later, we find it on the road in the middle of the night. 45mph road. All my insulin/diabetes stuff is shattered, destroyed. Bag is nearly destroyed. Super Tinker is absolutely fine. Small chip out of the red scale. LOL. Like a craftsman tool commercial back in the day.

Yeah, I gotta list Victorinox up there. With quality control an A+ with consistency out of this world, they are great. No matter where in the world you are, you can walk into a store and buy a SAK thats just like the SAK you had back home, and it will work perfectly. They recognized the world over as a quality item, and when you leave to go fly home and you hand it off to the taxi driver, luggage guy, or grounds keeper, they are always surprised and then enthused by the SAK.

Some places in the world they are accepted trade goods for labor or goods.

Best of the best??

Lowa Boots
5.11 pants
Farber-Castell pens
Seiko Watches
Chris Reeve knives
Apple Computers and iJunk
Jeep vehicles
Sennheiser Mics/headphones
Bose speakers
Campagnolo bike parts
Richard Sachs bike frames
Dirndls
German Women
Venison
Alaska
Diesel engines
4WD
John Deere
Bavarian beer
Jim Beam

and the U.S. Army

WEATHERWOOL.......Kicks ass..........Softest wool ever!!!!! Ill sleep on it or in it....in the raw😜.
Just incredible quality....... And the best Customer service ever.........buy once cry once applies but worth every penny......

The Chapman bit driver system is the best of the best, and nothing could ever convince me otherwise.
For working on guns, vintage airguns, and vintage spinning reels I don't know how I ever lived without my Chapman kit.
20230419_120259.jpg
If you just need general purpose driver bits maybe get something else, but if you need a more specialty use type of driver bit set for particular repair / service use then the Chapman is the best money can buy.

Last edited:
Back