Recommendation? The best survival / daily chef's knife?

If you are hunting boar in the dark you better have something a bit more substantial than a chefs knife if thats what you intend to dispatch it with......

A chef's knife would work fine. You just need a knife long enough to reach the heart and lungs, and pointy enough to penetrate the gristle on a boar's shoulder.

LOL.....you been watching youtube and playing video games too much....."professionally trained hunter" you say......
ixaCKxv.gif

ZqWk6CQm.jpg

If you are hunting boar in the dark you better have something a bit more substantial than a chefs knife if thats what you intend to dispatch it with......
MEcbczfl.jpg

Ever heard of an Ulu? Or a Santoku? They have been used for centuries for food prep. The only real straight edge knives I use in the kitchen are a Nakiri bōchō and a usuba bōchō.
vLOCMPHl.jpg
Nx1MxpSl.jpg

Other then that, I use whatever is at hand at the time. Sometimes its a CS Luzon, sometimes its a Marbles Woodcraft, or whatever I happen to be carrying. Either way it gets the job done easily. Today I had this with me -
yu9BGt1l.jpg

Not a straight edge in sight, but it does food prep as well as any knife, better than most....
I haven't played video games for a few years, yet I don't despise and mock them, and I have certainly not become a licensed hunter by playing video games. The training here in Sweden is rigorous. But I believe in the old adage "real recognize real". And an attitude seldom covers anything.

On to the question at hand.
Yes, I have heard about Japanese kitchen knives. Close in shape. Not my goal.
Yes, I know what Bowies are. Not my goal.
Yes, I have seen small bushcraft knives without a guard. Not my goal.
The title describes my goal. And others in the thread define it further.

"If you are hunting boar in the dark you better have something a bit more substantial than a chefs knife"
Clearly we don't hunt the same way. I use a rifle. The knife is for defence at close proximity.

"Not a straight edge in sight, but it does food prep"
Thus I mentioned "The form of a chef's knifes belly" earlier.
What is the purpose of your post?

Thank you, good Sir. That is a long list to go through though. Any specific suggestion among them?

I'd say that's a good forum to watch. If anything pops up that piques your interest, either in style, build, etc., you can contact the maker and they may be able to build one to your specifications.

Another good knife would be a Carother's Performance Knives (CPK) Heavy Duty Field Knife (HDFK). Only, issue is they're quite hard to come buy. However, CPK does plan on making some basic super duty field knives that should be patterned after the HDFK.

A chef's knife would work fine. You just need a knife long enough to reach the heart and lungs, and pointy enough to penetrate the gristle on a boar's shoulder.
The point here is a knife designed specifically for food prep, ie a chefs knife, is for the most part very thin so it slices well. Not so good for penetrating the shoulder of a hog, especially a large one thats still alive and kicking. Chances are more than good that at least the point would break off, and a knife without a point won't penetrate well at all. Something more substantial is preferable, a thick spine with a strong tip designed to penetrate.

Here I am trying to justify every knife purchase that may even have a single, specific (unlikely) scenario use. :D

On to the question at hand.
Yes, I have heard about Japanese kitchen knives. Close in shape. Not my goal.
Yes, I know what Bowies are. Not my goal.
Yes, I have seen small bushcraft knives without a guard. Not my goal.
The title describes my goal. And others in the thread define it further.
The problem is you seem to have conflicting goals that can't be met by one knife. I think your expectations are too high.

"If you are hunting boar in the dark you better have something a bit more substantial than a chefs knife"
Clearly we don't hunt the same way. I use a rifle. The knife is for defence at close proximity.

So far, the Extrema Ratio Shrapnel One is a hell of a candidate.

In the US boars are hunted by just about any means. Rifle, pistol, bow, even with a spear or a blade.
If you think you are going to defend yourself against an angry boar with a chefs knife or the 6" blade on that ER Shrapnel, well, make sure your paper work is in your pocket so the search team can identify you later......I would think a "trained professional hunter" would know better.
"Not a straight edge in sight, but it does food prep"
Thus I mentioned "The form of a chef's knifes belly" earlier.
So which is it? In the OP it was a flat edge......
The mission of this thread is in the title. I'm just looking for a nice stainless daily driver that could serve as so much more at occasions, where I only bring a 2-day backpack. Examples that happens: I need to cut a rope, I need to brake a plexi-glass, I need to pry something open, etcetera. But hopefully mostly cooking and eating by a nice campfire. An Esee-5 could do all of this, but not without utmost care each time it touched a liquid.
Any decent mid size bushcraft type knife can do what you describe. You don't need to re-invent the wheel here....
How is it that a knife will instantly rust as soon as you use it? Carbon steel had been used for a very long time before stainless steel came about, and there are millions of carbon steel knives out there that have not rusted away in weeks...... All you need to do is keep it clean. Do you have pictures of this corrosion?

The Junglas would be a good chef's knife. But it is 1095, which is not up to par for the specific stainless goal. And I was comparing it when buying the Esee-5. I could easily use that for a lot of things. But it is a bit too long and narrow for prying, kinda prone to bending if I really went to town.
You probably aren't going to bend either a Junglas or a Junglas II without doing something stupid like putting a lever arm on it. You can drive one of those into a tree and use it to stand on without damaging it.
"thin, slicey chef knife that is 1/4" thick" is funny. But I never mentioned thin. The majority understood me, though. The form of a chef's knifes belly with "the edge below the handle" (as Spears stated quite clearly) but the strength of a survival knife. With maximally used real estate as a bonus.
Again, cross purposes. Its either thin and slicey or it isn't.

Last edited:
Actually what he is describing is more like a Gaucho cuchillo de campo or possibly a verijeros.
The one I found looks like a rustic 40 cm very pointy knife. Didn't find a specific knife when searching for pictures.
From what I saw, it looked a little too long and brittle. Literally means cowboys camp knife though, so might be too a general of a term.

Dfackto Tactical Kitchen Knives

The DFACKTO 6.5″ Santoku Knife seems like a nice option! And I like G10.
I wonder how thick it is. The tip might be on the edge of blunt, but could be modified easily, I guess.
Will have to check out some reviews.
It's very cheap too, just to try out, in any case.
Thank you for the tip!

I like em. But a bit sharp to put your weight on if an extra push is needed on the spine. They also have a bit too much belly beyond the base for this goal.
They are very capable wood-choppers nonetheless.
Bruh, if you don’t tactically cook breakfast for your navy ranger DEVGRU homies before going on mission to take down a HVT In hand to hand combat overseas and batonining wood for the fire while waiting for extract using nothing but a smatchet, do you even operate?

Bruh, if you don’t tactically cook breakfast for your navy ranger DEVGRU homies before going on mission to take down a HVT In hand to hand combat overseas and batonining wood for the fire while waiting for extract using nothing but a smatchet, do you even operate?
So much pent-up anger. So few reasons. Why can't men have a civil discussion without keyboard-operators competing to be the most Goggins?

Back