Recommendation? The best survival / daily chef's knife?

Agreed on "a thick spine but FFG with secondary bevel". Niku is the way.

"There's about 10 million of those", but the perfect total form-factor is the hunt.
How big of a knife are you looking for? I'm thinking not a small knife, are we talking Crocodile Dundee level bowie here, that's the direction i'm thinking to take it. but you don't wan't a guard right? So kinda long? a little study and chunky, but with a kind of thin edge and slicey?
I'm thinking big beefy tank is not the way to go here, but maybe bowie style blade.
I do all of my wood batoning with a cheap D2 bowie knife.

LT Wright has a Cookcraft series in AEB-L that might fit the bill. 3/32” flat grind. It doesn’t come with a sheath, but if you email them they can tell you which of their sheaths will work with it. This is the Traveler next to an ESEE 6 for size.
hlZkaVX.jpg
Flatter blade-belly than the choppy Esee-6, but narrower. The length-to-thickness-ratio might be a bit shy for a pry guy?
I would also love the handle belly of the Esee's or the TTKK's. A full belly is a good belly. But thank you for the tip!

Actually, I have found most good-looking dress pants to lack any zippers at all. Normally, I would carry a cell-phone, keys and cards.
And of course an AR-15, a chef's knife and MRE for good measure. Why the long face?

Back when Michael Jackson was all the rage, I knew a kid who had the red 'Beat It' jacket. Sure were a lot of zippers on it! No glass breaker though. Not that I remember anyway. Plus, all those zippers are probably a liability if you have to like crawl through an air duct or something.

How big of a knife are you looking for? I'm thinking not a small knife, are we talking Crocodile Dundee level bowie here, that's the direction i'm thinking to take it. but you don't wan't a guard right? So kinda long? a little study and chunky, but with a kind of thin edge and slicey?
I'm thinking big beefy tank is not the way to go here, but maybe bowie style blade.
I do all of my wood batoning with a cheap D2 bowie knife.
I am used to the Esee-5, 6.5 mm, 27.5 cm.
Chunky but sharp. Can cut food. Can cut logs. Can not break.
I would say that the total length is max 30 cm to be fast enough.
This thread would be for the stainless non-maintenance counterpart.

The TTKK looks like one of the most comfortable knives I've seen so far, even though it's kind of thin:
TTKK, 0,3mm, 24cm, S30V,
http://www.zknives.com/images/knives/custom/trittk2.jpg
The handles hook, belly and "choil" seems like an awesome grip for any task.
The tip is supported by a belly on both sides.

But...

The Shrapnel One is thicker and can thus afford a bit more tip:
Extrema Ratio Shrapnel One, 6,3mm, 28,7cm, Böhler N690,
https://www.coutellerie-tourangelle...K-Extrema-Ratio-Shrapnel-ONE-04-1000-0500.jpg

I still believe The Shrapnel One is leading the race so far. Keep em coming!

Back when Michael Jackson was all the rage, I knew a kid who had the red 'Beat It' jacket. Sure were a lot of zippers on it! No glass breaker though. Not that I remember anyway. Plus, all those zippers are probably a liability if you have to like crawl through an air duct or something.
I normally don't wear dress pants when I plan to move actively. But I do have them made in comfy materials :) And why not have zippers on everything?

got a Skrama coming. I'll be trying that out over a cutting board when it gets here
That does look quite all-around for a chopper! Keep me posted!
Heard a lot of good things about 80CrV2.
But 43cm! Might be too sword-ish for my constant in-and-out EDC.
I normally use a chest-rig or lumbar scout carry with the rifle. Can't be too long.

Unless someone has developed a new morphing super steel, you can't have a knife that's thin and slicey one moment and then be great at battoning the next. What you're going to have is a lot of compromise.

I have a Joker Ember F (flat grind), made with Sandvik14C28N Steel, that covers that range of compromise in design for general use. The scandi grind version most people get would be better suited for bushcraft and worse for food prep. My Joker Trampero has a slightly thinner blade and is also a flat grind, but would still be able to deal with some battoning, as long as you're not intending to split a cord of wood with it.

Unless someone has developed a new morphing super steel, you can't have a knife that's thin and slicey one moment and then be great at battoning the next. What you're going to have is a lot of compromise.

I have a Joker Ember F (flat grind), made with Sandvik14C28N Steel, that covers that range of compromise in design for general use. The scandi grind version most people get would be better suited for bushcraft and worse for food prep. My Joker Trampero has a slightly thinner blade and is also a flat grind, but would still be able to deal with some battoning, as long as you're not intending to split a cord of wood with it.
I guess people do not read the whole thread. Thin was never on the table. A compromise was always the goal of the thread.
Your knives are pretty, but do not have the heel protruding beyond the handle.
Scandinavian or Japanese grinds are to me not the deciding factor.

Last edited:
Cold Steel has a Gaucho Facon styled knife. Pretty big, chef type looking and looks to be very well made with a nice sheath. 1090 steel etc etc and not that expensive. keepem sharp

Cold Steel has a Gaucho Facon styled knife. Pretty big, chef type looking and looks to be very well made with a nice sheath. 1090 steel etc etc and not that expensive. keepem sharp
I've seen the Cold Steel Facón. Indeed the wrong material, and too long tapering, but I like their non-rampy heel.

The Becker Magnum Camp knife was designed to flex into dual roles if you can find one but is's not stainless. No big deal with minimum maintenance. ;)
0wnnwVT.jpg
Beckers are solid competition for the Esees. A very clean look, which I love! But it seems like all of those holes in the handle might take quite a few minutes to get hygienically clean.
I was thinking about BK2 back in the day, but someone showed me people got shattered tangs under the scales, like it was a false full-tang. I might remember incorrectly. But quite sure that made me not buy one.
However, the profiles of BK2 and BK9 are some of the sturdiest in the business. Waiting for a more gap-free handle.

MISSION UPDATE
So far, these are the discoveries in priority:

BLADE
Stainless AND baton-able (impact-resistant).
Thick spine ready for abuse.
Heel protruding beyond the handle.
Heel is a hand stopper, not a ramp to slide up on the edge when stabbing.
Edge belly that is not beyond the heel.
Central tip for good stabbing, prying and drilling.
Total length around 25-30 cm.
Convex grind or something as sturdy.
Naked pommel for crushing.

HANDLE
Full tang with sandwich scales.
Oval grip to feel blade direction.

TOP CONTENDERS (with known specs):
Extrema Ratio Shrapnel One, 6,3 mm, 28,7cm, Böhler N690.
Jeo-Tec N 37, 5mm, 30,7cm, Molybdenum-Vanadium.
White River Firecraft 7, 5mm, 30cm, S35VN, kydex.

Spyderco Forester (by Jerry Hossom) - Discontinued, so you'll have to track one down.

Has met all the requirements.

Back