The Buckmaster 084. 420HC. G10 Scales. $800?!

Unpopular opinion. But for that price they should have rereleased the original. That is one ugly, useless knife right there. I have more Buck than any brand, but they missed on this one with both design and price. IMO.

weirdly I kinda like it, but have no use for it and I'm not willing to pay that much for it. even if it was made of exotic and rare super steel and materials.

I also don't care for the partial serrated part. other than that it looks cool and I'm sure useful to the right person in the right application.

it's a $350 knife to me as is........

Personally, I wouldn't even pay $350 for it. Frankly, I just cannot see spending hundreds of dollars on what ultimately amounts to nothing more sophisticated than a sharpened piece of metal. Every time I ever see a blade that expensive, I think of a firearm that the money could go towards, then I'm reminded of the fact that firearms are obviously far more sophisticated than blades, and I can no longer make sense of the expense of it.

There's just no logical reason why a knife should ever cost more than a firearm considering the amount of labor involved, especially not when said knife is made of 420HC with a Hollow Grind.

Unpopular opinion. But for that price they should have rereleased the original. That is one ugly, useless knife right there. I have more Buck than any brand, but they missed on this one with both design and price. IMO.

I honestly agree with you 100%. The original Buckmaster 184 is an iconic design which if brought back would have easily sold out very quickly. If they only made 1000 of them, then I doubt that they'd last a month let alone a year before selling out. Instead they offered this in-name-only successor at an outrageously high price.

If they had reproduced the Buckmaster 184 instead, then I would at least be tempted to buy it. I'd still say heck no for $800, but there would be moments when I'd struggle to justify the cost to myself out of a distinct desire to own the blade.

Say what you will about how practical Rambo Knives are, but if they've got one thing going for them it's style. They're knives with attitude, they look mean, tough, and rugged, even though they actually aren't. They may amount to nothing more than a display piece or a cool toy, but collectors don't care, heck nobody cares because practically everyone has a small selection of go-to knives for specific tasks, and everything else is mostly for fun. So that's the niche that the Buckmaster 184 appeals to in spades and that's why it would sell, even today when anbody can buy a cheap clone on Amazon for $60.

As for the new Buckmaster 084, meh... If it were 10% of the current price, then it could have found a niche as the new Diver's Knife to take the place of the old Ontario MK3 now that it has been discontinued and prices are on the rise, but as a collectors piece? Meh. $800 for an otherwise plain-looking knife made of inexpensive materials sold at an outrageous markup.

Personally, I wouldn't even pay $350 for it. Frankly, I just cannot see spending hundreds of dollars on what ultimately amounts to nothing more sophisticated than a sharpened piece of metal. Every time I ever see a blade that expensive, I think of a firearm that the money could go towards, then I'm reminded of the fact that firearms are obviously far more sophisticated than blades, and I can no longer make sense of the expense of it.

There's just no logical reason why a knife should ever cost more than a firearm considering the amount of labor involved, especially not when said knife is made of 420HC with a Hollow Grind.

I honestly agree with you 100%. The original Buckmaster 184 is an iconic design which if brought back would have easily sold out very quickly. If they only made 1000 of them, then I doubt that they'd last a month let alone a year before selling out. Instead they offered this in-name-only successor at an outrageously high price.

If they had reproduced the Buckmaster 184 instead, then I would at least be tempted to buy it. I'd still say heck no for $800, but there would be moments when I'd struggle to justify the cost to myself out of a distinct desire to own the blade.

Say what you will about how practical Rambo Knives are, but if they've got one thing going for them it's style. They're knives with attitude, they look mean, tough, and rugged, even though they actually aren't. They may amount to nothing more than a display piece or a cool toy, but collectors don't care, heck nobody cares because practically everyone has a small selection of go-to knives for specific tasks, and everything else is mostly for fun. So that's the niche that the Buckmaster 184 appeals to in spades and that's why it would sell, even today when anbody can buy a cheap clone on Amazon for $60.

As for the new Buckmaster 084, meh... If it were 10% of the current price, then it could have found a niche as the new Diver's Knife to take the place of the old Ontario MK3 now that it has been discontinued and prices are on the rise, but as a collectors piece? Meh. $800 for an otherwise plain-looking knife made of inexpensive materials sold at an outrageous markup.
that amount would be my limit on it. didn't mean it to be your limit........

I agree. Should have brought back the original. I know flooding the vintage market would ding the prices of the older ones but still a chance to own an icon would be great.
I tried to see if the BCCI price was on offer but with a run of 1000 it’s, I’m sure it isn’t eligible.
Also i have spent $300-$400 on certain brands but those purchases are rare and few and far between.
I wish all the best to Buck and hope they sell them all. No hard feelings for sure.

I would have to say I agree. It also really looks like a type of “survival” knife that companies like Gerber mass produce overseas with cheap steel.

The original was iconic. I think the 2.0 was a disappointment to most because of the lead time, the hype, and the relative mystery surrounding the (eventual) release. Overall, I think the vast majority are underwhelmed. Take a look at the price, and it seems as if these were made for collectors only (and even collectors don’t like the price vs materials).

Nice! Was amazing they made 2500 for the seal teams and didn’t think customer sales would be more than 3000. Actually ended up selling 57,000(i think that was the first year but i could be wrong) Exceeding expectations by a lot. My question is where did they all go?

Last edited:
2 .0 looks like something from the bargain bin at Walmart.
i guess you'd have to push these to the side to get to it.....
8mh0cm-resize-27.jpg

Nice! Was amazing they made 2500 for the seal teams and didn’t think customer sales would be more than 3000. Actually ended up selling 57,000(i think that was the first year but i could be wrong) Exceeding expectations by a lot. My question is where did they all go?
I thought it was more than 100k they made of the classic Buckmaster. At any rate I can see that a 1,000 knife production run for civilians is limited, but with other brands of knife collecting (like traditionals) we have 9,10, 100 or so pieces of some knives to deal with and still try to find one. I'm not feeling sorry for BUCK having to do "all that engineering" and "all that re-tooling" which is supposedly expensive... $800,000 should cover it. They are the ones who are choosing to make only 1,000.

Speaking of Navy adoption... did the Navy actually commit to using it at all yet?

Talking about this on the groups and someone said you can get a CHINA knock off of the 184... yuck. I hate Chinese knock-offs... but there is actually a Japanese knock-off that looks pretty sweet. I would not mind finding a decent 184 and the IMAX Master Seizo Imai Seki one too. Probably could buy both of those for $750 or so total.

Personally I have enough nice production and custom fixed blades that more than hold the values to keep me entertained but I was happy to find a GCK tanto still in stock today and I finally grabbed that one... 5160 steel... $110 shipped. Kinda pricey right ? ;)

I get the desire people have for this Buckmaster 2.0 release, but I also get that it does look like a mix of Optimus Prime's sword and a old 1940's scuba dive knife (and that is because there is nothing new under the sun, especially in knife designs). People telling you different are either in a cult or in Marketing.

Back