The Cherokee Rose in steel and this one is no joke. Pix.

Here's the prototype Cherokee Rose by Bura. It's 20 and about 3/8" and weighs 31 ounces -- blade is nominal 5/16" thick. It's heavier than we wanted but I can tell you that the guard has added significantly to the weight of the knife. The balance point is about 3 inches ahead of the guard. Bro might want to consider thinning the blade 1/16 or so and maybe thin the thickness of the guard if he wants to reduce the weight.

The fit and finish are quite good. 2 minutes on the buffing wheel will bring the blade to magic stone mirror finish. Handle is well done in nice looking saatisal. Buttcap is round polished steel per model. I don't want to touch the edge with a file but I ran a chakma down it and I think Bura has it in the 59 or 60 Rc range. It's sharp enough to take a few hairs off my arm. The top edge needs sharpening.

The only thing I can find wrong with this knife is a slight dip in the edge -- maybe .010 right at center blade which can be blended to perfection in a couple of sharpenings.

I rate the knife at 98% and true to the model at 95%.

The scabbard is made by village sarki in new style leather with polished steel chape. Village sarki gets 100% for both quality work and true to scabbard model bro sent with his wood model.

Bura made only one. He wanted to get any fine tuning instructions before he made number two. And we'll wait until everything is finalized before starting any production run.

This just got in about an hour ago and will head for Catoosa in 2 or 3 hours, priority mail and well insured. I hope its arrival puts Bro into better spirits.

Attachments

• cherokee rose in steel by bura.jpg
    cherokee rose in steel by bura.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 697
Wow Uncle, that is cool. Hope Yvsa likes it. Looks like Bura did a great job and so did the Villege Sarki. I'm not much into Bowie knives, but this one appeals to me. Yvsa's Model looked great and so does this steel version, IMO.

Good looking knife! After Yvsa will give his blessing to the finalized version, I will have to get one and find a way to get it across the pond safely.
Fausto

How do you rate it percentage wise to the model, Heber? Look at the model pix and then this one and compare.

Very,very nice--That oughta lift his spirits some.

idea of pricing when you get to producing?

Don't have any old scabbards to compare, but the village sarki seems to really know his stuff...especially if that's his first one of this style.

I presume the sarkis make anything that's from leather like the kamis make other metal stuff?

Looks SWEET!!! That is a pretty close copy of the wooden model. I hope Yvsa likes it. It is pretty nice. Good job I would venture to say.

Now that's a nice looking one. It seems like Bura did a good job - I would think Yvsa would be pleased with this one. :D

VERY NICE!!!

Here's the model so we can compare without switching back and forth

Originally posted by Bill Martino
How do you rate it percentage wise to the model, Heber? Look at the model pix and then this one and compare.

Uncle, is there any chance that you could take another pic of the Cherokee Rose on a solid back drop? I think the multi colored one is fooling my eye into seeing things that are not there.

But it is missing a critical ingredient. From the picture I can tell it is not flat ground; this would also help with the weight. And how thick is the blade at the spine?- a quarter to a third of an inch should be fine for a Bowie vs a Khukri. I hope Yvsa likes it, but these details will probably prevent it from making the grade. I haven't seen anything come out of HI with a flat grind though, so the kamis might not be familiar with the idea.

I think it looks cool; I even like the now cursed (poor innocent Sher) Sher 'bowie'. 31 ounces is way too heavy for a bowie this style though.

Like everything else from HI I would be happy to own it.

Patrick Mc

I haven't seen anything come out of HI with a flat grind though, so the kamis might not be familiar with the idea.

If Yvsa can part with the 1st prototype for a while, how about regrinding it flat, and sending back?

Bura is using "modern" equipment and I think he wanted to see if we could live with this configuration. If not, we'll do a number two prototype and Bura will have to rethink his manufacturing techniques.

Dang it, I had a post but got disconnected and lost it.:mad:

Raven, IIRC Yvsa said the model has a Convex edge.

Looks like the Model tapers from the spine to the edge. Where as the Steel attempt doesn't taper so much and looks like it's almost flat gound. I too don't think it will make the grade. But it is a good first attempt.

Uncle, I give the steel attempt about a 90% because the handle is a little off, the steel gaurd is thinner and a little longer, plus the grind is not right. Oh yeah the tip looks to be a little blunt and at a slightly different angle. IMO.

You could be right, Heber, and thanks for help -- I can't see worth a damn. Maybe we should downgrade to 90%.

Heard thunder in the East a little while back.

This should calm down Bro a bit, and give him a sharpening project to boot.

I'd take it as is, but know it'll only get better.

I'm almost certain that the changes Bura has made is because he's thinking about a production run. After all, he's the foreman. He could make that knife 99.5 percent true to the model but it's going to take him 3 or 4 times longer because he'll do it all by hand. If he can use the "modern" equipment he can cut costs and make a much more affordable knife and that's what he is wanting to know. Would we rather pay 5 or 6 hundred dollars for a 100% handmade copy or $200 for a "modern method" copy?

The choice is up to Bro.

Frankly, 200 dollars is more my speed right now. Personally, a little thicker and longer have appeal.

Your welcome Uncle.:) Glad I could help.

Would we rather pay 5 or 6 hundred dollars for a 100% handmade copy or $200 for a "modern method" copy?

I think we should wait for another attempt before we make any decisions. IMO Bura should be able to get it a little closer with out upping the price to much.....

$200 for that is a good price. I was guessing more like $225 to $250 for the Cherokee Rose. BTW, what is the suprise? Or should I wait a while to find out?

Back