The cleaver discussion thread.....

And the two beef splitters. These were harder to find in decent shape that were not over priced.

100_0299.jpg

I would love to know the history behind them. I do know that if you were swinging one of these daily in as a butcher you would be strong for sure. They are not a small and light cleaver!

I picked all mine because my son and I love Gangs of New York. When I saw Bill the Butcher with the big cleaver I knew that I needed a "few". The cool part is our pizza cutter is an 8" bladed Briddell that I put a shaving sharp edge on with my Edge Pro. Wide enough to slide the pizza out of oven and also slices it up with ease. It is original with only some clean up, sharpening, and some Boos cutting board magic oil on the handle. I'm 49 years old and the thing will outlast me for sure.

Yeah they'll be mostly "just for fun" but they're just too cool to resist. :D They're actually very handy for folks that hobby farm, from what I understand. Good for everything from sheep/goats up to beef.

Now there's an idea! Pizza cleaver! Must be good for deep dish ones. :D

By the way, the handles on the F. Dick cleavers are some kind of low-fiber content reinforced nylon. It files and sands very responsively. Good tough stuff that's easy to customize.

That's an impressive collection of choppers.

The cool part is our pizza cutter is an 8" bladed Briddell that I put a shaving sharp edge on with my Edge Pro. Wide enough to slide the pizza out of oven and also slices it up with ease.

I also have an 8" Briddell cleaver/pizza cutter. But I've found myself favoring a mezzaluna. The thin blade and high handle make it perfect for pizza.

An original Village Blacksmith cleaver. I found this in my grandfather's old tool shed and did a bit of restoration on her. I imagine my great grandmother used it for butchering livestock on their ranch. Based on research, i'd guess it's from early 1900's to 1920's.

tumblr_mdp7krunSQ1r2ttnqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mdp7qnMw6c1r2ttnqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mdp7tlchtT1r2ttnqo1_1280.jpg

I have no clue, unfortunately, as the style is fairly generic--by which I mean there's not anything about it that would indicate a particular maker to me. A beautiful example, nonetheless!

Well, BOOM !!! I just placed my order with a company for 2-14" Butchers steels, a 7" Heavy Duty cleaver, 8" Heavy Duty cleaver & a 9" Heavy Duty cleaver. All 5 Made in America, all 5 on sale, & free shipping. Now the waiting begins. LOL Tic-toc. :D

Who makes heavy-duty cleavers in the USA still? Genuinely curious, as all the ones I've seen have been "household" cleavers. Congrats on the purchase--don't forget pics when they land! :D:thumbup:

Yes sir, lots-o-pics. Dexter-Russel makes them. I ordered from a butchers supply house. Not sure that i can post it up but the initials are F S W, it is a restaurant equipment and supply store.

Item #s are as follows, 7" HDC is #S5287, 8" HDC is #S5288, 9" HDC is #5289.

Merry Christmas to me !!!!

100_1670.jpg

100_1671.jpg

Untitled.jpg

100_1672.jpg

100_1675.jpg

Yes sir, these things are 1/4" thick & they are HEAVY DUTY & Just plain HEAVY. Came very sharp, almost will shave paper but not quite. That will change after Christmas. Only got one of my butchers steels, other one will ship in 10-15 days. VERY happy with them. If you swung one of those cleavers all day, 5 days a week, you would have a Popeye arm in no time !!! For reference, cleavers are 7", 8", 9" blades. Handles are substantial & wood is beautiful. OK, back in the box & under the tree ! :D

All items above are Made in America !!! :D

I picked up another cleaver today. It's a 10-inch curved blade model. 16-1/2" overall length and quite heavy. Is this a lamb splitter? Is there a special name for a curved-blade cleaver?

This is made by L&I J White of Buffalo, NY. The stamp reads '1837' but I think that's a model # and not the actual date of production. It's pretty rough but it's a good piece of steel.

Cleaver1.jpg

Cleaver2.jpg

Cleaver3.jpg

Back