Latest Cleaver I got from Casey Bradshaw---
Black G-10 handle and 1/4" 5160

Chops Great

The Top Chopper and 2 Below it are Bill Siegle Knives

Attachments

• BRADSHAW CLEAVER 4 DEC 2013 012.jpg
    BRADSHAW CLEAVER 4 DEC 2013 012.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 56
I'll post mine up. It was an old, really beat up foster bros. cleaver (rusty, broken and missing scales, heavily mushroomed spine, ect.) that I picked up for $5 or something like that…. When I got it home though it wandered a bit to close to the bench grinder and drill press and lost a bunch of weight. Now it's a great sturdy camp cleaver/ chopper and I have less than $10 and 2 hrs. time into it.

before

After

Last edited:
Just received yesterday from Relentless Knives in 1/4 inch S3V. The first two posted pictures are ones he took (good quality pics), the last one I took (bad quality) with the knife in my hand so you could get perspective. The blade is 3.75 inches. Impractical? Perhaps. Awesome? Definitely. I love this little beast. I received this in 4 months from my order date. Dan Certo, the knifesmith of Relentless Knives who custom made this, was great to deal with. He always returned prompt and professional responses to all my emails. I highly recommend.

M2Cleaver2.jpg
M2Cleaver3.jpg
M2Cleaver.jpg

More pictures at this link:
http://gallery.relentlessknives.com...er3VG/37528358_sc7sSV#!i=3111080422&k=28LghxM

I picked these up at a swap meet for $15, the one with the sheath is my favorite, I'm unaware of its intended purpose. The hole in the mini-ax is threaded, and the edge is sharp enough to shave with. The sheath was made to be worn on ones belt. The cleaver has a forge welded edge. Sorry for the blurred image

DSCF0002_zps90ef4225.jpg
DSCF0011_zps80471f3a.jpg
DSCF0006_zpscd9bfc4f.jpg

Last edited:
...I'm unaware of its intended purpose. The hole in the mini-ax is threaded, and the edge is sharp enough to shave with. The sheath was made to be worn on ones belt.

It's a "Skachet". The tapered end of a stick can be twisted into the threaded hole, to make a hatchet.

459034827_o.jpg

Thank you for the information, I thought it was a European design. It certainly is sharp enough to skin a kill. Now to find a users manual, a pdf or something. Your letter of explanation looks hand typed.

Last edited:
What a cool tool! And big thanks for the pics and once again to Steve Tall for his excellent research.

Just received yesterday from Relentless Knives in 1/4 inch S3V. The first two posted pictures are ones he took (good quality pics), the last one I took (bad quality) with the knife in my hand so you could get perspective. The blade is 3.75 inches. Impractical? Perhaps. Awesome? Definitely. I love this little beast. I received this in 4 months from my order date. Dan Certo, the knifesmith of Relentless Knives who custom made this, was great to deal with. He always returned prompt and professional responses to all my emails. I highly recommend.

View attachment 423138
View attachment 423139
View attachment 423137

More pictures at this link:
http://gallery.relentlessknives.com...er3VG/37528358_sc7sSV#!i=3111080422&k=28LghxM
Sweeet:thumbup:

"Steve Tall;13305077]The Skachet was patented in 1965. The labels said "Made in Japan".
The patent document has descriptions of intended uses."

Thank you for your diligence, Having the provenance makes me like it more:thumbup:

I found quite a few cleavers this morning at a local flea market. They all appeared to be old but I couldn't find any stamps or markings of the maker on any of them.
They were all pretty rough looking but not beyond repair but from $20-$40 I would have hoped to see a makers mark.

But then again I dont know much about cleavers their asking prices.

Just dropped this carcass splitter off with my buddy Tobin Nieto to get a rawhide sheath built. I'll do final cleanup and sharpening when I get it back.

It'll be on my table at the Blade Show. More details when it's finished.

I can't help but get this maniacal grin when I pick it up. :D

Here are mine, next to a BK9 for size comparison.

The small one is a La Rose, pretty much a century old. It came from my grandmother, as did the third one in the picture. That third one is absolutely massive and weighs a ton. It's made by briddle. More on those two, you can find here (notably, my first thread on bladeforums a couple of years ago!): http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...d-a-few-finds-after-cleaning-grandmoms-garage

The second one is just a garden cleaver we have in our toolbox. It's used a lot in the garden.

Look at the spine thickness... The briddle cleaver is just crazy. Massive, like I said before. What's interesting is that both the Briddle cleaver as the unnamed garden cleaver are both A LOT heavier than the BK9.

And here they are, viewed from the side:

Hope you guys enjoyed the pics. I was on the brinck of getting another cleaver, made in Belgium, a couple of weeks ago but it was pretty pricey compared to the F&F.

Here's a couple bush cleavers.

IMG_3453.jpg

IMG_3798.jpg

Here are mine, next to a BK9 for size comparison.

The small one is a La Rose, pretty much a century old. It came from my grandmother, as did the third one in the picture. That third one is absolutely massive and weighs a ton. It's made by briddle. More on those two, you can find here (notably, my first thread on bladeforums a couple of years ago!): http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...d-a-few-finds-after-cleaning-grandmoms-garage

The second one is just a garden cleaver we have in our toolbox. It's used a lot in the garden.

Look at the spine thickness... The briddle cleaver is just crazy. Massive, like I said before. What's interesting is that both the Briddle cleaver as the unnamed garden cleaver are both A LOT heavier than the BK9.

And here they are, viewed from the side:

Hope you guys enjoyed the pics. I was on the brinck of getting another cleaver, made in Belgium, a couple of weeks ago but it was pretty pricey compared to the F&F.

Your "garden cleaver" looks to be a billhook. I'm not good enough with identification to narrow it down besides possibly being from either England or Italy. Italy in particular has a lot of varieties of that sort of tool, which they differentiate from more typical billhooks as a "manaresso". The handle type is more characteristic of British billhooks though.

Your "garden cleaver" looks to be a billhook. I'm not good enough with identification to narrow it down besides possibly being from either England or Italy. Italy in particular has a lot of varieties of that sort of tool, which they differentiate from more typical billhooks as a "manaresso". The handle type is more characteristic of British billhooks though.

Thanks for the info, FTB. I'll google those terms. I've never really stood still to the type of cleaver it could be. Similar designs are often sold as garden tools over here in Belgium. Some better excecuted than others. F.e. here's an example at p.73 of the catalogue (pdf file). Don't know if I'm allowed to link it, if not please remove the link (mods): http://www.polet.be/sites/polet/files/catalogus/Polet-catalogus-NL_2012.pdf
Most of the ones you buy brand new in stores are dull, in a thick coat of paint and need initial sharpening (and probably stripping).

Back