The cleaver discussion thread.....

Yes--they're still classified as a billhook in spite of the lack of hook due to the construction method, who produces them, their intended use, and the evolution of the design. Many billhooks have very very little hook to them, and these are just one more step in that direction. :D

My pleasure! Bob Burgess is the real billhook expert out there, but I'm a bit of a fan. :D

Finished up the carcass splitter. It'll be on my table at the Blade Show. 17 1/2" blade, 20 1/4" handle, forged from 2" x 1/4" 5160. The handle is paracord over leather, with a three-strand paracord Turk's head knot, all impregnated with epoxy.

My buddy and fellow knifemaker Tobin Nieto of Stonehaven Knifeworks made the lined rawhide sheath for it. One of the avenues that led him to making knives was an interest in movie props and replicas of movie props. He perfectly captured the vibe that I envisioned for the overall project: something that would be carried by a boss character in a zombie video game or the antagonist of a slasher movie.

I had my hand in the sheathwork, though. Namely, the "blood splatters".

They're actually brick red India ink. :D

The chain is a shoulder sling. It originally was part of the mechanism for opening and shutting a heavy door in a huge slaughterhouse that my landlord's father worked in. I don't know what position he had, but he told me there were 600 men working under him, and he supervised when the slaughterhouse was torn down. The hooks are forged from a high-carbon farm implement tine.

The blood splatters look pretty authentic, huh? Like something Leatherface would have hanging above his bed. :devilish:

Here's one of the ways of wearing it with the sling.

"Forth, minions!"

One of the things I like about it is that although it is large and has plenty of power, it's still light and lively enough to wield one-handed.

I have some materials gathered for a little cutting demo video later on in the week, weather permitting.

Oh, Tobin plays guitar, too. :cool:

I've been meaning to pick up an old cleaver to fix up and use in the kitchen. Some great examples so far!

I've got several billhooks, and although not cleavers in the conventional sense they are pretty much a foresters cleaver. The hooked ended and single/chisel ground models are used for hedge laying. A practice used to section off land by laying live hedges to make a sort of fence. Its quite an art and billhooks are really common over here, loads of old names all in Sheffield steel! I've currently got two English ones I'm cleaning up ATM! They are socketed handles too, so rather desirable!

Those are beauties! Especially the top one--looks like a Suffolk pattern?

Those are beauties! Especially the top one--looks like a Suffolk pattern?

It may be, there are lots of varying similar patterns named after old towns/counties of England. Top one is made by Cornelius and Whitehouse! And has a hedgehog stamped on it. The bottom in is Elwell, and probably 2/3s heavier than the top one! A real beast.

I'll get a snap shot of the two I'm cleaning up now, both Sheffield steel but a little ugly to see the maker right now! I'll give them a face lift and make them work ready, as they're rather beaten up and mushroomed on the spine.

Got a bit of cutting video. Unfortunately, the button didn't get pushed during the 2" x 4" chop. :( But it cut over halfway through with each swing.

[video=youtube;awGv1RY5uqU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awGv1RY5uqU[/video]

I got a chance to put the carcass splitter to the test doing the kind of work I grew up doing and which has informed my thoughts on cutting: dismembering a mesquite tree. I think it's a lot more informative than a water bottle test or trying to cut multiple coconuts (though that may be because I failed to cut multiples due to the blade deflecting).
But see for yourself. :)

[video=youtube;-Z3enZ_sADQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z3enZ_sADQ[/video]

Here's one from a whaling exhibit at Point Lobos. No information is given, it's simply labeled "mincer."

IMG_2031.JPG

I'll have to put up a couple pictures later if anyone's interested, but my buy-in to this thread is a (pretty nice) Beatty hidden tang 3.5 pound cleaver. Got a handle like a baseball bat. Scored for about $10 from a very eccentric old fellow. Haven't had the time to work on it since the semester started.

Back