The coin pocket knife.

Just a reminder, there is a sticky with many more marvelous tales. @jackknife ; thank you, sir.

My coin pocket currently contains a #66 calf roper (could easily morph into a peanut), along with two other items that are always there due to age and living in the desert --- lip balm and tums.

Read through this marvelous thread today. Some how my bouncing around brought me here again to remember this thread. We discuss this general topic from time to time, but it was J jackknife who started me even seriously considering a "peanut". My knife evolution is fairly well documented since then in other threads, but this thread is a pure joy to read through. I'm carrying a Vic Small Tinker now everyday. I don't feel lacking if I don't have a larger knife with me as I used to. My "large" was never really as large as many of the folks here. I acquired a couple GEC #14's as a result of this evolution. Yeah, I know, "piled higher and deeper". It will fit in my watch pocket. It's a wonderful well made little knife.

Amen Brother..... Right now I have a stag AG Russell peanut in my coin pocket...

Last edited:
Mine usually has my flashlight in it, but if my little knife is second to something larger it might ride in there too.
As a lefty I can't have my main knife over on the right side.
Of course as it starts warming up I don't have a watch Pocket in my shorts.
I think I'm going to look for some denem carpenter type shorts that do have one.
Today it's been just the little 12OT

Mine usually has my flashlight in it, but if my little knife is second to something larger it might ride in there too.
As a lefty I can't have my main knife over on the right side.
Of course as it starts warming up I don't have a watch Pocket in my shorts.
I think I'm going to look for some denem carpenter type shorts that do have one.
Today it's been just the little 12OT

Wonderful little knife there, Hickory!:thumbsup:

I always thought those particular Old Timer's made for a perfect pocket knife. Small enough to forget about until it's needed, but enough to do the job. And the great carbon steel that Scrade used with a nice thin edge cut like the dickens.

Wonderful little knife there, Hickory!:thumbsup:

I always thought those particular Old Timer's made for a perfect pocket knife. Small enough to forget about until it's needed, but enough to do the job. And the great carbon steel that Scrade used with a nice thin edge cut like the dickens.
Oh I've checked my pocket multiple times to make sure I didn't loose it just to discover it didn't even shift around.
It definitely cuts really well for sure.

Oh I've checked my pocket multiple times to make sure I didn't loose it just to discover it didn't even shift around.
It definitely cuts really well for sure.
Yeah. I do the same thing with my small knives. You hardly feel them in your pocket. This is good, but if you set it down or somehow loose it, it might be a while before you notice. I would hate to loose a Schrade USA knife. Very useful knife!

The loosing is a good reason to keep a knife in a watch/coin pocket as things don't fall out easily and you are less likely to drag it out reaching for keys or something.

I have this GEC #25 in my watch pocket right now.
Hpe4oh1.jpg

Here are my smalls that fit in my coin (5th) pocket. Have at least one of these every day. One of the peanuts rides along 80% of the time.

Here are my smalls that fit in my coin (5th) pocket. Have at least one of these every day. One of the peanuts rides along 80% of the time.
Nice accumulation of smalls. I guess my question is.... Do you use your peanut or do you generally reach for a larger knife?

Nice accumulation of smalls. I guess my question is.... Do you use your peanut or do you generally reach for a larger knife?
I use the Peanuts for about 50-60% of my daily cutting chores and they are great little fidgets also. I’ve even used them to cut steaks at restaurants. Even my bigger secondary knifes aren’t that big, slimline trappers, Mini copperlocks and such. Outdoors I will have some sort of folding Hunter with me.

For me, it is and was an adjustment to accept using a smaller knife as my dominant edc. I like the folding hunters for the woods and later in life I generally used this kind of knife as my hunting knife. Now I have been mostly carrying a fixed blade in the woods accompanied by a folder in my pocket.

Added: When I first added the peanut to the coin pocket, frankly I seldom reached for it. Then later I decided to leave the larger slippie or modern home and see how it went. It went just fine and I have essentially made a semi-permanent adjustment to my edc philosophy. Can't say that I won't change again, but I change very slowly.

Last edited:
For me, it is and was an adjustment to accept using a smaller knife as my dominant edc. I like the folding hunters for the woods and later in life I generally used this kind of knife as my hunting knife. Now I have been mostly carrying a fixed blade in the woods accompanied by a folder in my pocket.

Added: When I first added the peanut to the coin pocket, frankly I seldom reached for it. Then later I decided to leave the larger slippie or modern home and see how it went. It went just fine and I have essentially made a semi-permanent adjustment to my edc philosophy. Can't say that I won't change again, but I change very slowly.

That's the way I had to do it.

So many years ago, when I first started my downsizing and I started by carrying my dad's old peanut, I was still carrying my Buck stockman in my right hand pocket. I found that by habit I reached for the stockman first. Only after I made the decision to go cold turkey, and carry only the peanut for an experiment, did I really find out how useful the smaller knife was. It got used first only because there was no default knife on standby. It was really really weird for a bit, then I got used to it.

The only fault it had was food service, and since most restaurants have tableware, it wasn't really a problem, and I don't carry jars of peanut butter out in the woods.

That's the way I had to do it.

So many years ago, when I first started my downsizing and I started by carrying my dad's old peanut, I was still carrying my Buck stockman in my right hand pocket. I found that by habit I reached for the stockman first. Only after I made the decision to go cold turkey, and carry only the peanut for an experiment, did I really find out how useful the smaller knife was. It got used first only because there was no default knife on standby. It was really really weird for a bit, then I got used to it.

The only fault it had was food service, and since most restaurants have tableware, it wasn't really a problem, and I don't carry jars of peanut butter out in the woods.
When I say I change very slowly, you have to understand that I had carried a 111mm SAK for 15 years pretty much every day. I carried clipped moderns also, but couldn't bring myself to dumping the larger SAK. Cold turkey is about the only way to evaluate if a knife works for you.

I have never really found the stockmans particularly desirable enough to carry one because of the added thickness and I seldom needed a third or fourth blade. That of course didn't stop me from buying some. But I love two bladed jack knives. It's kind of funny as the single bladed traditionals are very popular (like this year's forum knife), but given a choice I almost always preferred to have two blades available. Would only go that route if the thickness of a jack knife pattern bothered me. Again, it hasn't stopped me from buying them. ;)

I’ve been experimenting beyond my beloved peanut for the ultimate coin pocket knife.

In my opinion, the knife should disappear into the coin pocket, not showing or stretching the pocket. It should be so light that you forget it’s there until you need it. At that point it should be big enough to fill your hand and have a long enough blade for any daily task. It should look nice and non-threatening for an office environment, but capable of taking on unexpected tasks. An impossible set of requirements? I used to think so until I started carrying this Dunlap linerless trapper with Carbon Fiber scales.

It’s thinner, lighter AND longer and tougher than a peanut or #14. The lack of liners let you fit much more blade and wider scales into a 3” knife.

There have been a few moments where I’ve felt the carbon fiber scales flex a little bit while cutting something tough, but it hasn’t been a big deal. The blade is so much larger than a peanut-sized blade that I feel like it can take on almost anything you could expect from a folder. The CPM154 is a great steel.

So yeah, it’s not as pretty as a GEC or as traditional as a Case but this is the best coin pocket slipjoint I can imagine.

I just picked up a backup. First time I’ve felt compelled to do that.

htgjBzQ.jpg

Comparison with a peanut. The difference in width and length are very noticeable in the hand and carrying around all day in the pocket.
v9jFNl4.jpg

Noticed something.... the watch/coin pocket in jeans is actually fairly large and can fit nearly a 4" slippie horizontal. I guess different brands have different sizes. But ultimately, I'm learning that for day to day stuff, a knife less than 3.5" closed is enough. From there, it is just a matter of preference as always. Something in the 2.8" > 3.3" closed seems to be the sweet spot for me. Peanuts are generally about 2 7/8" closed. Pen knives are generally a little smaller.

A folder doesn't have to fill my hand anymore. That was my old perception on an edc.

Last edited:
Back