The Cowbell Build Thread

You're welcome, both the ebony and marble wood don't usually need to be stabilized. I also have some cocobolo, assorted burls and curly maple and oak I just acquired. Also forgot I have a bunch of bocote that would work as well. Not speaking for John but he has done work in wood.
vU7CCcG.jpg

Sweet!:thumbsup:

You're welcome, both the ebony and marble wood don't usually need to be stabilized. I also have some cocobolo, assorted burls and curly maple and oak I just acquired. Also forgot I have a bunch of bocote that would work as well. Not speaking for John but he has done work in wood.
vU7CCcG.jpg

That's very nice.

vU7CCcG.jpg
I think I'm doing good till you post that one again!:eek: It is a dandy! But I'm also a Kopper Knut.

I didn't have enough time today to give proper responses over the last couple of pages of comments. I'll try to cover things here, let me know if I missed anything....

The Tinker Bell.

The Facts Behind The Fiction
The Tinker: A gypsy, of mysterious background; a pack peddler in the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains who came from -- who knows? Real name: Cosmo Lengro. His origin a mystery, his reasons for becoming a pack peddler even more so, except . . . a pack peddler, sooner or later, hears everything. People like to talk to a friendly stranger who is gone tomorrow, and often they tell him things in their quiet talk over a jug of 'shine or over a cup of coffee, things they would not tell their next door neighbor.
A wily young man with a gift for making things work, a man who makes knives of a quality unknown elsewhere and of a kind of steel possessed by no one, a steel that will cut through anything. His knives are sought by everyone but made for a chosen few. Even Lando, his friend, does not have one.
Mountain people eagerly await his coming. He has dress goods, needles, and all sorts of necessities, but he also has little gimcracks of gifty things that arouse eager interest. He also has news, the most precious of items, and gossip about what is happening elsewhere in the mountains and what women are wearing in the Settlements.
The Tinker appears in: LANDO, RIDE THE DARK TRAIL, RIDE THE RIVER, SACKETT BRAND, and TREASURE MOUNTAIN.
L.L. sure could build a character, that's pretty cool.

With brass pins/tubes?

:cool:
Confession: I secretly hate brass and have never used it on a knife!:eek:

Though I'm not completely opposed, my arm could be twisted. You guys are just lucky I couldn't find bronze tubing:D

Perfect Match yes and a great song.
Best, most underrated Bad Company song ever made :cool:

Really liking that red-ish micarta!:thumbsup: Waiting to see more of the richlite, but might be hard to sway me:oops:
One of the choices will scream Pick Me!! I'll be happy to throw my two cents in if you need a tiebreaker.

Just stumbled across this thread and read it through - wow. Awesome pics, too. This design is perfect simplicity. The sheaths as well - fantastic design. This is a really first-rate combination.

I'm also liking that red, though the green looks great, and I'm curious to see the blue. I'll be next in line when the gate opens, but I'm glad I get to see some of the colors as they come out.

It won't change my mind, but I am curious - John, do you think you'll offer any woods on these at any point?
Welcome Belloc Belloc and thanks for the kind words on the Cowbell. Glad you found us, stick around it's a good crew around here. As far as when a Dibs becomes available, the options will only be the synthetics for now. I'm keeping these as simple and consistent as possible. These will be a steady model and will evolve I'd they need to. I'm running them in batches so I can focus on more creative knives and still get knives out go you guys. There is a plan for a deluxe version, but it won't be available for Dibs. More on that later....;)

Thanks, Dopic, I really appreciate that. The Micarta is a fantastic match for these (and I rarely think that), but it's hard not to picture them with wood, too. I was thinking of something darker, so ebony would be great. I didn't know marblewood, but looked it up and that could be gorgeous, depending on the piece. I'm a woodworker myself and have some possibly useable stuff lying around, but I'm not up on what all needs stabilizing, what is chippy or brittle as a knife scale, etc. I've worked with cocobolo enough to know that it's all but indestructible, but haven't worked with a lot of the other popular (and beautiful) choices.
Scott knows his stuff and turns some beautiful bowls:thumbsup:

Yeah, I was kind of surprised no one else had asked. I'm pretty new on these forums, so I read back through the whole thread to see if I'd missed something, then looked at some of John's other work to see if he works solely in Micarta or something, then was worried I was looking a gift horse in the mouth by having the thought...
I rarely work in micarta, mostly stacked leather and wood. I'm setting up a box to be sent out for stabilization and plan on using more exotics on my other knives.

HEY JOHN!!!!
WHY don't I have one of those?
Mack that's like the one ring to rule them all!

That's a beautiful piece!

Yeah, I may be getting ahead of myself till John chimes in - I'm still on the waiting list to get on the waiting list...

How does ebony do for scales? I worked with it a time or two on small bits and remember it being almost like a kind of plastic - almost grainless to work and dense, but easy to break pieces off. Does it hold up well here?
I haven't worked with ebony but I have with Blackwood. Scott's (Dopic) description below about ebony is spot on.
Thanks, any type of ebony holds up pretty well on scales as long as there is no sharp edges to catch which there never should be. Another good choice would be osage orange.
My thoughts exactly.

I think I'm doing good till you post that one again!:eek: It is a dandy! But I'm also a Kopper Knut.
I do like me some copper and whatnot....:D

I can’t wait to see the Ivory Micarta on a Cowbell.
I have some Alternate Ivory that would look nice.

@gunspease Dopic1 Dopic1 I'm gonna try to ship Friday, no later than Saturday.

Now that I have complete examples, I'll get a thread posted with all of the details up within a couple of days. Thanks guys and don't hesitate to ask any questions.

I didn't have enough time today to give proper responses over the last couple of pages of comments. I'll try to cover things here, let me know if I missed anything....

L.L. sure could build a character, that's pretty cool.

Confession: I secretly hate brass and have never used it on a knife!:eek:

Though I'm not completely opposed, my arm could be twisted. You guys are just lucky I couldn't find bronze tubing:D

Best, most underrated Bad Company song ever made :cool:

One of the choices will scream Pick Me!! I'll be happy to throw my two cents in if you need a tiebreaker.

Welcome Belloc Belloc and thanks for the kind words on the Cowbell. Glad you found us, stick around it's a good crew around here. As far as when a Dibs becomes available, the options will only be the synthetics for now. I'm keeping these as simple and consistent as possible. These will be a steady model and will evolve I'd they need to. I'm running them in batches so I can focus on more creative knives and still get knives out go you guys. There is a plan for a deluxe version, but it won't be available for Dibs. More on that later....;)

I rarely work in micarta, mostly stacked leather and wood. I'm setting up a box to be sent out for stabilization and plan on using more exotics on my other knives.

Mack that's like the one ring to rule them all!

I haven't worked with ebony but I have with Blackwood. Scott's (Dopic) description below about ebony is spot on.

My thoughts exactly.

I do like me some copper and whatnot....:D

I have some Alternate Ivory that would look nice.

@gunspease Dopic1 Dopic1 I'm gonna try to ship Friday, no later than Saturday.

Now that I have complete examples, I'll get a thread posted with all of the details up within a couple of days. Thanks guys and don't hesitate to ask any questions.
Damned whiskey, I meant the bone Micarta. (I even went back to your post with all the different colors to make sure it was bone and still typed ivory.)

Thanks, John. I figured I was in the right place when I ran across the Raising Arizona clip. The knives are nice, too...

I suspected you might be staying with synthetics with these when I saw that all your other stuff was natural, but I had to ask. Like I said, I'm not usually crazy about synthetics, but it works well with these for some reason, and isn't a deal breaker at all. I'll be next in line for one of the colors, but I look forward to seeing where these go.

Scott was very helpful, and I'm most grateful for his generous offer.

Damned whiskey, I meant the bone Micarta. (I even went back to your post with all the different colors to make sure it was bone and still typed ivory.)
No worries, I might add Alt. Ivory to the mix as well.

Those are absolutely captivating.
Please do another run of these, John :thumbsup:
I plan on making a lot of these, dont worry:thumbsup:

Thanks, John. I figured I was in the right place when I ran across the Raising Arizona clip. The knives are nice, too...

I suspected you might be staying with synthetics with these when I saw that all your other stuff was natural, but I had to ask. Like I said, I'm not usually crazy about synthetics, but it works well with these for some reason, and isn't a deal breaker at all. I'll be next in line for one of the colors, but I look forward to seeing where these go.

Scott was very helpful, and I'm most grateful for his generous offer.

That's good to hear, I'll keep you guys posted in what's going on, I'm working in a very detailed thread about these as we speak. Oh and Scott is the man, generous is his middle name.

Back