The Cowbell Build Thread

"Cowbell"
The Tinker Bell.

The Facts Behind The Fiction
The Tinker: A gypsy, of mysterious background; a pack peddler in the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains who came from -- who knows? Real name: Cosmo Lengro. His origin a mystery, his reasons for becoming a pack peddler even more so, except . . . a pack peddler, sooner or later, hears everything. People like to talk to a friendly stranger who is gone tomorrow, and often they tell him things in their quiet talk over a jug of 'shine or over a cup of coffee, things they would not tell their next door neighbor.
A wily young man with a gift for making things work, a man who makes knives of a quality unknown elsewhere and of a kind of steel possessed by no one, a steel that will cut through anything. His knives are sought by everyone but made for a chosen few. Even Lando, his friend, does not have one.
Mountain people eagerly await his coming. He has dress goods, needles, and all sorts of necessities, but he also has little gimcracks of gifty things that arouse eager interest. He also has news, the most precious of items, and gossip about what is happening elsewhere in the mountains and what women are wearing in the Settlements.
The Tinker appears in: LANDO, RIDE THE DARK TRAIL, RIDE THE RIVER, SACKETT BRAND, and TREASURE MOUNTAIN.

Last edited:
Perfect Match yes and a great song.

Years ago I called the local radio station and requested that song.

It was my 15 seconds of fame when the DJ asked me to repeat my request so he could record it and play it back on the air before he played it. :cool:

Yes. I'm that old :(.

Edit: If the denim or blue micarta with brass ever comes around, can we name it Bad Company? :p

I'll have to keep an eye out for some.

Red will be nice with these I think.

The richlite I've used in the past didn't show any layers, it's got a solid look and has an awesome feel to it. It's ridiculously light as well but solid as a rock. I'll have to get some sections of each material sanded out to make choosing easier.

Really liking that red-ish micarta!:thumbsup: Waiting to see more of the richlite, but might be hard to sway me:oops:

Just stumbled across this thread and read it through - wow. Awesome pics, too. This design is perfect simplicity. The sheaths as well - fantastic design. This is a really first-rate combination.

I'm also liking that red, though the green looks great, and I'm curious to see the blue. I'll be next in line when the gate opens, but I'm glad I get to see some of the colors as they come out.

It won't change my mind, but I am curious - John, do you think you'll offer any woods on these at any point?

Just stumbled across this thread and read it through - wow. Awesome pics, too. This design is perfect simplicity. The sheaths as well - fantastic design. This is a really first-rate combination.

I'm also liking that red, though the green looks great, and I'm curious to see the blue. I'll be next in line when the gate opens, but I'm glad I get to see some of the colors as they come out.

It won't change my mind, but I am curious - John, do you think you'll offer any woods on these at any point?
Redmeadow Knives Redmeadow Knives , John I have some interesting stuff if Belloc above wants one with wood scales. Macassar Ebony, Marblewood and some others. Both really dense and purdy.

Redmeadow Knives Redmeadow Knives , John I have some interesting stuff if Belloc above wants one with wood scales. Macassar Ebony, Marblewood and some others. Both really dense and purdy.

Thanks, Dopic, I really appreciate that. The Micarta is a fantastic match for these (and I rarely think that), but it's hard not to picture them with wood, too. I was thinking of something darker, so ebony would be great. I didn't know marblewood, but looked it up and that could be gorgeous, depending on the piece. I'm a woodworker myself and have some possibly useable stuff lying around, but I'm not up on what all needs stabilizing, what is chippy or brittle as a knife scale, etc. I've worked with cocobolo enough to know that it's all but indestructible, but haven't worked with a lot of the other popular (and beautiful) choices.

Oh jeez...just had to go there didn't you? Think my head's going to explode:eek::D
Yeah, I was kind of surprised no one else had asked. I'm pretty new on these forums, so I read back through the whole thread to see if I'd missed something, then looked at some of John's other work to see if he works solely in Micarta or something, then was worried I was looking a gift horse in the mouth by having the thought...

Thanks, Dopic, I really appreciate that. The Micarta is a fantastic match for these (and I rarely think that), but it's hard not to picture them with wood, too. I was thinking of something darker, so ebony would be great. I didn't know marblewood, but looked it up and that could be gorgeous, depending on the piece. I'm a woodworker myself and have some possibly useable stuff lying around, but I'm not up on what all needs stabilizing, what is chippy or brittle as a knife scale, etc. I've worked with cocobolo enough to know that it's all but indestructible, but haven't worked with a lot of the other popular (and beautiful) choices.
You're welcome, both the ebony and marble wood don't usually need to be stabilized. I also have some cocobolo, assorted burls and curly maple and oak I just acquired. Also forgot I have a bunch of bocote that would work as well. Not speaking for John but he has done work in wood.
vU7CCcG.jpg

You're welcome, both the ebony and marble wood don't usually need to be stabilized. I also have some cocobolo, assorted burls and curly maple and oak I just acquired. Also forgot I have a bunch of bocote that would work as well. Not speaking for John but he has done work in wood.
vU7CCcG.jpg

That's a beautiful piece!

Yeah, I may be getting ahead of myself till John chimes in - I'm still on the waiting list to get on the waiting list...

How does ebony do for scales? I worked with it a time or two on small bits and remember it being almost like a kind of plastic - almost grainless to work and dense, but easy to break pieces off. Does it hold up well here?

That's a beautiful piece!

Yeah, I may be getting ahead of myself till John chimes in - I'm still on the waiting list to get on the waiting list...

How does ebony do for scales? I worked with it a time or two on small bits and remember it being almost like a kind of plastic - almost grainless to work and dense, but easy to break pieces off. Does it hold up well here?
Thanks, any type of ebony holds up pretty well on scales as long as there is no sharp edges to catch which there never should be. Another good choice would be osage orange.

Thanks, any type of ebony holds up pretty well on scales as long as there is no sharp edges to catch which there never should be. Another good choice would be osage orange.
That makes sense. Yeah, I just snapped up a Cohutta with Orange Osage and it's beautiful. I don't think I'd heard of it before I started looking at knives. For this, I think ebony or cocobolo would be the ticket, but we'll see what John's take on it is - he may be tired of playing with this design after a couple of weeks. And like I said, the Micarta isn't a deal breaker here. Thank you again for the offer - that's very kind.

Edit: just saw that your cocobolo handled piece above was John's first custom build. Very nice!

That makes sense. Yeah, I just snapped up a Cohutta with Orange Osage and it's beautiful. I don't think I'd heard of it before I started looking at knives. For this, I think ebony or cocobolo would be the ticket, but we'll see what John's take on it is - he may be tired of playing with this design after a couple of weeks. And like I said, the Micarta isn't a deal breaker here. Thank you again for the offer - that's very kind.

Edit: just saw that your cocobolo handled piece above was John's first custom build. Very nice!
You're welcome, actually that's Bocote

Back