The difference a disk makes

The actual pot resistance isn't usually critical, within a fairly broad range, since it usually works as a Voltage divider: there's usually 10V across the resistor and the slider picks up 0-10V depending on its position along the resistor. I've used a cheap import tig pedal in the past to give foot-controlled variable speed with a VFD on a drill press. It was a quick and dirty setup for be

Thanks Tim,
That is what I figured.

The foot pedals have a C13 male plug, and I figured I would use old computer power cables with a female C14 to connect to the VFD circuit board. The good thing about that setup is I can plug a foot pedal in or not. The speed control on the VFD will still work.

Thanks Tim,
That is what I figured.

The foot pedals have a C13 male plug, and I figured I would use old computer power cables with a female C14 to connect to the VFD circuit board. The good thing about that setup is I can plug a foot pedal in or not. The speed control on the VFD will still work.
Stoked to see the plans, I'd like my disc to run on a foot pedal.

Tim,
The speed control contacts are P1-P2-P3. Would you suggest just wiring the remote in parallel and setting the one on the unit to "0" and let the foot switch do the rest, or adding a three-pole-double-throw switch to change from main pot control to foot control?

I run my Tru Grit disc with a foot pedal from Harbor Freight, Plug and play.

Do you mean the On-Off foot switch? I use a couple of them in the shop for turning fixed speed tools like a drill press or lathe on and off while my hands are busy. They are a very good item for the money. I prefer the one that is Step-On step-OFF. The dead-man type (Keep pressed for ON) is good for hand tools like a die grinder or larger size power carver that you use sitting down.

Besides the VFD tools like belt and disc grinders, I am changing the motors on many other shop tools to VFD and wanted to make a variable speed foot pedal I could move from tool to tool. It is usually simple to change a drill press, lathe, band saw, etc. to 3-phase and run off a VFD. With a VS foot control, I can use one VFD to run several nearby tools.

The HF pedals say they are good for 15 amps, but like most of their tools that is a little optimistic. I would not suggest running more than 10 amps through one for any length of time.
For higher HP motors on fixed speed tools, I made a foot switch control box that uses 12V through the foot switch to control an SSR that turns the high amperage current on and off. I use two 40-amp SSRs and a heat sink. It has sockets for 120VAC and 240VAC tools. Just plug the HF foot switch into the control box and it will control anything that the SSRs can take. Only a few milliamps of 12VDC control voltage goes through the foot switch.

Back