The Frugal Leather Craftsman: Basic Tools

leatherman

leathermoderator
What I am going for here is not having to spend a whole lot of money and still make it simple to make a functional sheath.

1) Utility Knife, That old Stanley retractable I've been using since my armor making days is still running strong. I know some say that it gets dull quickly, guess what? Its sharpenable! You sharpen your knives, sharpen your utility knife. I make a package of 10 blades last nearly a year.

2) Ruler, seems silly but you'll use one as much or more than the knife. If you have a metal one all the better, if not its not the end of the world but the metal one will serve you much better.

3) Felt tip pen to mark leather with. Dont be tempted to use a ball point, I learned that lesson. Ball point ink is messy and doesn't dry very quickly.

4) Mallet. Soft face. Harbor freight has a mallet with replaceable faces for cheap. Also dead blow works but not as well, it absorbs too much impact. Watch yard sales for an old school rawhide hammer, I found one in a garage for under five bucks at an estate sale. Do not use metal hammers on your tools, best way ever to ruin them. I've bought tools with mushroomed tops because of steel hammers.

5) Awl, some thing to make stitching holes with. Nails work in a pinch. You just want small holes so your thread fills them.

6) Stitching spacer. A fork works unbelievably well. you want nice even stitching spaces.

7) You will need something to reliably track the distance from the edge for the stitching line to follow. Pro's use a stitching groover for this. There are really inexpensive ones out there, also if you have a wing divider it works like a charm to make the line and also to make lines and grooves for accents. You, in a pinch, can take an old fork and bend two tines till you get the preferred width.

8) Bone Folder, or smooth objects to help wet mold, burnish, and smooth the leather. One of my early purchases was the nylon jobber at Tandy. It has mold marks all over it, sandpaper works wonders getting them smoothed out. I have several different kinds including real bone. A good alternative is one of those medium point Sharpie pens or a close. They have a nice smooth rounded profile that tends to work well. I just used one last week as a matter of fact.

9) Needles, dont scrimp here, dont get those "big eye" needles they try to push at Tandy. They will cost you more in time. Go ahead and get those Harness needles. Small eye and a pain in the butt to string but well worth the effort.

10) Now that you have needles, you'll need something to pull them through the leather. I use a small smooth jawed jewelers pliers. The smooth jaws dont mar up those expensive needles.

Coming up next are some "expendable" supplies. That stuff that you'll use up and have to get more of. Some of this stuff you can go cheap, other you will want to spend a little more to save later. Yea, some of that cheap stuff ends up costing more in the long run. Off to work again, but I'll be back soon to add more!!!

I'll come back and edit in more, have to head over to work now. Please feel free to add below! :D

Last edited:
2) A piece of aluminium from an old window frame works fine as a guide ruler.

Ask me how I know...

7) Diffrent sized glass flasks or their metallic lids are good as guides for tracing curves. For small ones, use coins.

Dwayne has some great ideas! I'll inject some stuff that I've picked up.

What I am going for here is not having to spend a whole lot of money and still make it simple to make a functional sheath.

1) Utility Knife, That old Stanley retractable I've been using since my armor making days is still running strong. I know some say that it gets dull quickly, guess what? Its sharpenable! You sharpen your knives, sharpen your utility knife. I make a package of 10 blades last nearly a year.

Not only will they last longer, but it's pretty easy to improve the sharpness.

2) Ruler, seems silly but you'll use one as much or more than the knife. If you have a metal one all the better, if not its not the end of the world but the metal one will serve you much better.

HF sells a good stainless cork backed ruler. Great way to spend a couple of bucks.

3) Felt tip pen to mark leather with. Dont be tempted to use a ball point, I learned that lesson. Ball point ink is messy and doesn't dry very quickly.

I use a red ball point. Red ink almost disappears with brown dyes. Try both!

5) Awl, some thing to make stitching holes with. Nails work in a pinch. You just want small holes so your thread fills them.

If you have a drill press needles work great! Trim it down so that an inch or so is exposed in order to combat wander.

6) Stitching spacer. A fork works unbelievably well. you want nice even stitching spaces.

Use a 40% off coupon to get an overstitcher at Hobby Lobby. I think it came out to $15 or so. On the other hand I've seen people space with a fork and my method looks no better.

8) Bone Folder, or smooth objects to help wet mold, burnish, and smooth the leather. One of my early purchases was the nylon jobber at Tandy. It has mold marks all over it, sandpaper works wonders getting them smoothed out. I have several different kinds including real bone. A good alternative is one of those medium point Sharpie pens or a close. They have a nice smooth rounded profile that tends to work well. I just used one last week as a matter of fact.

A tine from a deer works well too. Sand it smooth and you can burnish holes.

9) Needles, dont scrimp here, dont get those "big eye" needles they try to push at Tandy. They will cost you more in time. Go ahead and get those Harness needles. Small eye and a pain in the butt to string but well worth the effort.

I agree wholeheartedly! John James needles cost around the same as cheap needles but they are super tough.

10) Now that you have needles, you'll need something to pull them through the leather. I use a small smooth jawed jewelers pliers. The smooth jaws dont mar up those expensive needles.

I have jewelers pliers, but more often than not I grab my multi-tool. I have the serrations taped up.

Some good additions up there!! Many Thanks. :)

I'll be adding more in here today, kind of an upgrade opportunity if a person is looking for a more purpose driven tool or are a little more serious about the craft while still needing to save a buck.

So much for best intentions, had to go on an errand run this afternoon and never got back to it.

I did get some pictures of some of the very basic tools I use for marking stitches and setting the stitching line. The investment in what I use is not all that severe at all. I'll get them downloaded with descriptions tomorrow if all goes well.

One thing that I dont use is that overstitch wheel. Not because its not a good tool but because my eyes are not all that great and I cannot see the marks it makes when I drill the holes for my stitching. Yes, I drill my holes, gasp! :p Also, when I did try the thing it has a habit of running off line, makes me cuss a blue streak and pull what hair I have left out. Better off using the "lacing chisel" which makes nice easy to see marks. I use a three tine and one tine chisel and its served me well for many years. DONT try to whack that thing through the leather to make the holes, its not meant for that and will break in time. I broke a few myself before I realized what I was doing. dur.

i would like to add that my experience with the overstitch wheel is pretty much the same as leathermans. yesterday was one of those days where i should have walked away from the leather...
i prefer the chisels and using these: http://www.ledermacher.de/produktansicht.php?id=492&kat=36&ukat=95 i am able to punch through the leather. but they are more expensive to get as a set... so for a beginners tool i would vote for the fork.

also one thing to add: a double edged razor blade... of course it needen't be double edged, but still, this is the most readily available skiving knife. i am still using is because i am on a budget as well. you can also look up various methods on the internet how to make it safer to handle.
also for your expendable section the cheap brushes mentioned in the wool dauber thread might be worth a mention.

(...)
Better off using the "lacing chisel" which makes nice easy to see marks. I use a three tine and one tine chisel and its served me well for many years. DONT try to whack that thing through the leather to make the holes, its not meant for that and will break in time. I broke a few myself before I realized what I was doing. dur.

I recently got one of these (4 tine) and have been using it to go through all of the leather. I put another piece of leather under the piece I'm working on, so the chisel hits a soft surface when it goes through. Do you use it just to mark the holes and then use a drill to actually make the holes? I was trying to do things without mechanical devices, must think of an alternative to the drill...

I admire your wanting to avoid machines. :D If I had the time to spend I'd be using my awl to make all my stitching holes.

Speaking of awls, its your best option for hole making. Mine is an Osborn with the leather disk on top of it in case I needed a little more umph to get it through. A good sharp awl will go through several layers of leather with just a little effort. Beware, it takes even less effort to put it through your finger.

Frugal tip, if you dont want to spend money on an awl an ice pick works dandy with a little work. You will need a finer point, some time on a stone and you'll get that. Tap it through the leather with your mallet. Its somewhat easy to keep the holes straight front to back as well.

I have an awl. I used it to make some work but I couldn't get all the holes exactly the same size and the same distance apart. It's not round, it's kinda spear like. The holes it makes have very "pointy" ends. If I pull the thread too tightly, they can tear and open up a little more. With the chisel, the holes are rectangular so this is harder to happen.

When using the chisel, I just do one layer at a time. After I finish one, I use it as a guide for the second. Put the first one on top of the other and lightly marking the holes before removing it and just work on the second layer (and so on, if there are aditional layers).

How do you make sure that the layers align when glue? For example on a simple sheath with top, welt and bottom?

How do you make sure that the layers align when glue? For example on a simple sheath with top, welt and bottom?

So far I only made sheaths for folders and some other small stuff (wallets, notebooks). None of these needed glue, I just stitch them toghether tightly and they are good to go. I was thinking of that situation, where you need to align 2+ layers.

My solution:
Pre-make the holes.
Put some glue in all the parts.
Join them toghether, using needles or thin nails through some holes in all layers (one in every four or five) to make sure they're aligned.
Let glue dry using some clamps or the like.
Remove needles or thin nails and stitch toghether.

Sounds good, just have to try it to make sure it works!

:D

So far I only made sheaths for folders and some other small stuff (wallets, notebooks). None of these needed glue, I just stitch them toghether tightly and they are good to go.

:D

I glue everything , no matter how big or small .
When glued correctly the stitching is just backup and asthetics .

Ken

So far so good, as far as all I've ever seen and learned glue all your parts together first, then make the stitching holes. Making the holes on each and every layer is inviting issues later, even on two layers.

As far as proper awl usage you dont want to align the wide part of the awl. According to Al Stohman in the "Art of Hand Stitching" cant the awl when making the holes. Kind of like this / / / / / / / Not as severe an angle but you get my point. There is a reason for the shape of the awl, dont fight it, work with its strengths. Its been around for a few hundred years, the creators have a good thing there. :)

Check out The Art Of Hand Stitching by Al Stohlman next time your in Tandy, its a gold mine of information

One of the tools I would have a hard time living without is an edge creaser to run stitching lines. I have always used the one from Tandy for single lines, it's cheap and works great. For dual stitch runs I will use the tandy creaser for the outer line and a different creaser for the inner, and a good deal more patience.

I use this one to mark my stitching lines, I like the way it takes a little leather out to sink the stitches in a little. I do this front and back, but I do not use a stitching machine so I can understand no back groove on that.
http://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/8069-00.aspx

I dont own a creaser yet, but I do like the idea of them. When I do a crease these days I use my wing dividers. A little less stout but gives a nice clear line.

I punch my outer (front) stitch holes while my leather is still flat so the awl has a better chance to go through straight, than after I glue the welt I'll go through the top and the welt ( leather still flat). After the sheath is glued together I'll make a third pass and it is usually pretty much straight. I use a peace of 2x4 with a hole drilled as my backing for the awl to go through. it seems to work for me.
John S.

DSCN5896_zpsmn7gc4mp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCN5897_zps2n4e4emi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So far so good, as far as all I've ever seen and learned glue all your parts together first, then make the stitching holes. Making the holes on each and every layer is inviting issues later, even on two layers.

As far as proper awl usage you dont want to align the wide part of the awl. According to Al Stohman in the "Art of Hand Stitching" cant the awl when making the holes. Kind of like this / / / / / / / Not as severe an angle but you get my point. There is a reason for the shape of the awl, dont fight it, work with its strengths. Its been around for a few hundred years, the creators have a good thing there. :)

Check out The Art Of Hand Stitching by Al Stohlman next time your in Tandy, its a gold mine of information

Thanks, it makes sense. I'll have to try it on a more "complex" sheath (more layers). I have a hard time trying to get my awl holes consistent, but that was before having a chisel. I'll try using the chisel to mark the holes and then use that as a guide for the awl.

:thumbup:

I like the overstitcher and drill, but I'm curious about the other methods. Thanks for posting them guys.

I didn't know any better on my first sheath and made the holes separately. I used a bunch of harness needles to line the holes up for cementing. Took a while and was pretty stressful, but it came out great. I don't do that anymore. ;)

A quick pic of some of the tools I use the most:

One of my smallest metal rulers, I have several up to 18" and one meter stick I use a lot

Scratch awl, I use this thing several times a day for marking. Its one of the most used tools I have.

Stitching groover, peeking from the left is my newer version that is a bit more user friendly. I use this one daily as well. It sets the stitch line as well as a few more duties.

The three prong and one prong "stitch markers" are well used and have lasted over ten years after I figured out they are not intended for punching holes through more than one layer of leather. :p

On the side is one of my Stanley utility knives, I have two for some reason. I've had them for a very long time. Eighties or earlier, cant remember. My first grab for cutting leather.

Not much money invested in this little group. My one pound Stohlman mallet cost more than all these together.

I will take some more pictures of other tools this weekend. My edgers, mauls, and such. As I get the time. :D

Dwayne,
You have given us SO much over the years. I can't even begin to count how many little tips I have taken from you (others here as well) like standing up when cutting to stropping my utility blade...
Thank you for taking the time to share once again.

Back