The Frugal Leather Craftsman: Basic Tools

Whacha do there Ebbtide?

Piqued my curiosity as well! When I hear the word "studio" it gets my ears perked up.

I work in the presentation studio of a large advertising agency as a traditional artist (as opposed to a digital artist).
Short version: I make stuff.
Books, packaging, props all one off/hand made to look like they were already produced.
From a 5' candy bar package to Japanese book binding to pharmaceutical packaging made to the millimeter.

We will dress rooms for meetings and events...
These were from a winter themed party...

The bear was 3-4' high, the ice behind him was crumbled paper on 4x8' boards sprayed with blue highlights.
Even made a waddle of penguins.

I never know what request will come thru the door next! :)

Last edited:
Back to the TOP! A lotta good info in here. Please feel free to add to the info!

in one of the Al Stohlman books, he mentions using a piece of broken glass is helpful for finishing up the welt. Can't get much cheaper than a piece of broken glass. Been meaning to try it out.

in one of the Al Stohlman books, he mentions using a piece of broken glass is helpful for finishing up the welt. Can't get much cheaper than a piece of broken glass. Been meaning to try it out.
I did once. Tried it on a rifle scabbard many years ago. Didn't work for me. A sanding block for a couple of bucks worked better.

I am a member of a few primitive crafting forums on Facebook, I love the ways that we can get things done. Some talk zero money to get some seriously nice gear done. I'm in awe of some of those craftsmen.

Back