The Gambler/Vest Bowie Knife (Coffin Handles!)

There's been quite a few good examples posted, and I know John has been working on designing. I had downloaded this photo quite some time ago with thoughts of a project. I'll just post it here, maybe some aspect you might like. Bruce Lee use to study different styles of fighting, took what he liked, discarded the rest, and Jeet Kune Do was born.
Well, if'n you like...
UO7Skzu.jpg

I like them all, that is a really neat pic, Dennis. I find the asymmetrical pinning of the left 4 to be quite curious. Shields and wraps (not sure if that is the technical term) abound and that masonic symbol is really cool. A lot of details here.

I like them all, that is a really neat pic, Dennis. I find the asymmetrical pinning of the left 4 to be quite curious. Shields and wraps (not sure if that is the technical term) abound and that masonic symbol is really cool. A lot of details here.
They are a neat lot. Now I'm jonesing again!:cool::thumbsup:

Lin Rhea has been doing a lot of work with James Black style Bowies. They're about 15 or 20 lines down on his Instagram. He's teaching that style at the James Black School of Bladesmithing in Arkansas.

Rhea_knives

There's been quite a few good examples posted, and I know John has been working on designing. I had downloaded this photo quite some time ago with thoughts of a project. I'll just post it here, maybe some aspect you might like. Bruce Lee use to study different styles of fighting, took what he liked, discarded the rest, and Jeet Kune Do was born.
Well, if'n you like...
UO7Skzu.jpg

Pretty cool, but not a fan of the staggered pins at all...just looks all cattywampus

Is there a problem using brass or is that just a personal preference? I like both bronze and brass.
It's just a personal preference, brass reminds me of plated light fixtures and cheap motels. It's always seemed like wannabe gold to me, where bronze has it's own character.

Is there a problem using brass or is that just a personal preference? I like both bronze and brass.
I remember the bronze age fondly but I have yet to see the brass age.

I can see why a lot of people don't like brass with the availability of other, better, materials out there. Brass was a traditional component of a lot of Scagel knives, Randall knives for that matter as well. I will continue to use brass on occasion due to the style of my knives being more traditional than what you normally see. But I have no objections to substituting bronze, nickel silver, stainless or any other material if someone requests, what it boils down to I think is just being a matter of personal preference. For the record right now, I think nickel silver is my favorite guard material, it's tougher, more tarnish resistant and more scratch resistant than brass, quite a few important features to consider in a knife, I think.

1625700363262.jpeg

I may have shown this before, but I think I this would be a good gambler’s Bowie.

Back