The Gambler/Vest Bowie Knife (Coffin Handles!)

I'm working out the details of how I'll offer knives that come out of threads like this. I've got a plan that I think is fair.

I'm thinking we should call these "Faro Bowies" after the card game, or some subtle reference to a coffin, sarcophagus, mummy, Pharaoh, Egypt, card game, saloon etc.

Not much belly, less than 7 inches, Coffin handles, thick at the ricasso with an aggressive distal taper.

Heres a shot of some ugly little slabs to give a very rough idea.
View attachment 1310675

Those are going to look sweet! Nice and lean.

Those are going to look sweet! Nice and lean.
I was just taking a quick inventory of what I have for guard material. A lot of bronze and copper, but I think the D-guard might have used the last of my thicker Nickel Silver:eek: I'll order some more. We also might have to fool around with some wrought iron on these.

What do you guys think about guard materials?

Nickel silver guard and pins was what I was thinking...just so classic. Suppose brass could work too.

I was just taking a quick inventory of what I have for guard material. A lot of bronze and copper, but I think the D-guard might have used the last of my thicker Nickel Silver:eek: I'll order some more. We also might have to fool around with some wrought iron on these.

What do you guys think about guard materials?

Nickel Silver is obviously a classic choice - that with matching pins, paired with the Blackwood, would make for an incredibly striking combination.

Though I actually like bronze/brass, I can't picture it here with this knife... Wrought Iron sounds damned cool. I like patina and I really like my slip joints with all steel furniture - it patinas with the blade and it just looks sweet.

However, shiny bits, with dark wood, and a lean/mean blade - that's got my vote.

Brass/Bronze patinas really nice too. This dirk I had made looks awesome with it - just not sure I'd want it paired with Blackwood. Brass does look great with Walnut or Cocobolo though.

6EFJH9U.jpg

That's fine, I wanted the bigger one:D. But pretty sure Dylan will have first choice since he started the thread.

I try to never take anything for granted - I'll respect however John wants to do things. I've just been quite happy to at least be a part of the conversation, it's been a lot of fun.

My initial thoughts regarding this knife was that it would lean towards the smaller side, something that would fit in a vest or on a belt sheath without being too obtrusive. I'm really curious how the three different sizes will turn out. I really like the overall leanness - I didn't expect that, to be honest.

I'm thinking we should call these "Faro Bowies" after the card game, or some subtle reference to a coffin, sarcophagus, mummy, Pharaoh, Egypt, card game, saloon etc.

Not much belly, less than 7 inches, Coffin handles, thick at the ricasso with an aggressive distal taper.

Heres a shot of some ugly little slabs to give a very rough idea.
View attachment 1310675

These gonna' be sweet! :cool:

I was just taking a quick inventory of what I have for guard material. A lot of bronze and copper, but I think the D-guard might have used the last of my thicker Nickel Silver:eek: I'll order some more.

Oops... :oops:

I try to never take anything for granted - I'll respect however John wants to do things. I've just been quite happy to at least be a part of the conversation, it's been a lot of fun.

Agreed, it has always been a pleasure to work with John! Glad you're here Dylan! :)

Replenished my Nickel Silver supply, I've got four feet of coming in different thicknesses. I cant wait to get into these coffin handles.

When tastefully done, card suits can look awesome on a knife. What if we etched them down a slightly curved spine between the guard and the swedge? That could look really classy or really tacky.

Replenished my Nickel Silver supply, I've got four feet of coming in different thicknesses. I cant wait to get into these coffin handles.

When tastefully done, card suits can look awesome on a knife. What if we etched them down a slightly curved spine between the guard and the swedge? That could look really classy or really tacky.

I have always been a fan of spine etches, I think it is tasteful and not at all garish.

You thinking a full suit? That could look pretty sweet - in fact, I might dig that more than some of the shields I have seen inlet into Bowie handles that denote suits.

I was thinking a full suit lined up. The great part about having a stencil maker is being able to etch stuff like this on a whim.

There's been quite a few good examples posted, and I know John has been working on designing. I had downloaded this photo quite some time ago with thoughts of a project. I'll just post it here, maybe some aspect you might like. Bruce Lee use to study different styles of fighting, took what he liked, discarded the rest, and Jeet Kune Do was born.
Well, if'n you like...
UO7Skzu.jpg

I love the one in the lower right - hob nailing and all. :thumbsup: :) Not trying to add my 2¢ this late in the process - just admiring out loud.

Back