The Gambler/Vest Bowie Knife (Coffin Handles!)

Daggers are quintessential deadly knife to my mind - also - more often elegant and sublime, artistically. They evoke danger like no other blade shape sort of longer swords, or the Japanese wakizashi and katana and likely why they are often illegal. Would love to have one ;)

Last edited:
You thinking more "toothpicky"?

8DWNwIe.jpg
Yep, a sleeker, more anorexic version of that with more of a flowed guard and with a spacer like the long double edge you posted above.

Yep, a sleeker, more anorexic version of that with more of a flowed guard and with a spacer like the long double edge you posted above.

I dig that idea. I'm curious what you are thinking with regards to a guard. When you say "flowed", you thinking something with some curves?

I dig that idea. I'm curious what you are thinking with regards to a guard. When you say "flowed", you thinking something with some curves?
Not curved, just less of a 90 degree angle at the handle/guard junction. I'll post a picture of this sketch in a bit.

I think it's a good starting point.

I really enjoy designing like this and it's one of the reasons I have a subforum.

I'll also thin out the outer pins to 1/16" and move them outward slightly. I realize I need more room in between them for the tang. The two center pins might be 1/8", they'll actually go through the tang where the others won't.

I'll fool around with the pin placement, you're right John, those back two need to move. Greg I think double rows of small Nickel Silver in Blackwood will really make the handle pop, I'll need them to hold the handle pieces together also if I do a mortise tang.

I could be completely nuts but I am picturing ivory micarta pins in a blackwood handle. Not sure if it work be possible but I bet it would look great.

FWIW, I like the 8 pins, but maybe align the last set more with the "corners" of the handle, like these 2 examples?

View attachment 1304274
View attachment 1304275

Too many pins in my opinion:

View attachment 1304276

I like the way you're thinking, John.

I could be completely nuts but I am picturing ivory micarta pins in a blackwood handle. Not sure if it work be possible but I bet it would look great.

I admit, I am pretty partial to nickel silver pins, especially paired with Blackwood. It's a classic look that really can't be beat, in my opinion. That said, I've seen some pretty cool micarta pin sets - Fiddleback comes to mind in that regard. They do some cool stuff with micarta pins and various woods.

Might be a good time to cut into my wagon wheel. I'm wrought with decisions.

Back