The H'mong knife - from Vietnam

that 'rich man's' knife in post 4 has started my salivary glands dripping. must...control...myself...want one...want one...control...cont...argh!
drool.gif

will now haunt a few knife sites till i find one i can afford......

Me too! That's my friend's knife! He does not sell, I have no choice but to make a copy of it. Already finished the grinding / filing part. Waiting to be sent to the blacksmith for quenching. Truely painful job! :(

IMG00021-20100525-0913.jpg

that 'rich man's' knife in post 4 has started my salivary glands dripping. must...control...myself...want one...want one...control...cont...argh!
drool.gif

will now haunt a few knife sites till i find one i can afford......

What a great post with all of the pictures. Most USA folks should know more about the H'mong heritage. Great knives too. Thanks for all of the info and pics Hung. I take it you are H'mong? Do you still have close relatives living in Viet Nam?

Awesome post and pictures, thank you for sharing
Welcome to HI and Forum

HI shop and Kamis will make few replica HI Hmong Knife for forumites. Thank you for the help, hunglvq:thumbup:

Thanks for your good news, Auntie! I'm really happy hearing that!

If you need more detailed info like measures, drawings, or more picture,... I can help.

Hung

HI shop and Kamis will make few replica HI Hmong Knife for forumites. Thank you for the help, hunglvq:thumbup:

Glad you like the info, Thawk! I'm just Vietnamese. I live in Saigon (South Vietnam) which is ~1200 miles away from where the H'mong people is now living.

What a great post with all of the pictures. Most USA folks should know more about the H'mong heritage. Great knives too. Thanks for all of the info and pics Hung. I take it you are H'mong? Do you still have close relatives living in Viet Nam?

Hung Thanks for all the info you've shared on these knives.

Now I'm gonna have to find someone to hammer me one out.

Vietnam is pretty:thumbup:

My brother's fiancee is a vietnamese girl and that girl can COOK!

*licks chops*

My interest at that time was in dog. I used to be a moderator for a local dog forum, My interest was to write on the H'mong dog. An amazing "virgin" breed of dog which I will share later when having more freetime.

All the best!

Hung

I'd be interested in reading that! As well as some pictures of some full grown H'mong dogs. The dogs look to be a healthy breed. Are they mostly pets, or are they also used as working/guard/herd dogs?

Bill

Hi Bill,

About 02 years ago, there was a reseach on dogs in the hilly regions of North West Vietnam and 5 disticntive breed has been found out: Short tailed H'mong, Viet Akita, Viet Dingo, Sharky, Laika. Probably they are related to the Tibetian Mastiff, Japanese Akita, and the Dingo when moving with people in the old times.

The hottest is still the short-tailed H'mong with a natural docked tail. They are about average 18kg and 50cm at wither height. The test show that they have excellent strength (running on treadmill for an hour and still can take order). Really good memory and easy to train. They are trained for several times, then off for 02 week and they can still remember the order. Another point is the jumping ability. I heard that a short-tailed H'mong dog can pass over a 3m BRICK fence with a single jump. Probably when living in the hilly environment, the thigh muscles have developed.

Below is a corner in the forum which is about dogs in NorthWest Vietnam. All are writen in Vietnamese so it's hard for you to understand. You can click in the topic to see the pictures.
http://vietpet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Below is my favourite breed - Phu Quoc Dog - also a distinctive local dog breed of Vietnam. It has a ridge on the back like Rhodesian Ridgeback or Thai Ridgeback but considered to be an older breed with strong evidence.

CPQHunglvq14.jpg

I'd be interested in reading that! As well as some pictures of some full grown H'mong dogs. The dogs look to be a healthy breed. Are they mostly pets, or are they also used as working/guard/herd dogs?

Bill

Last edited:
Below is my favourite breed - Phu Quoc Dog - also a distinctive local dog breed of Vietnam. It has a ridge on the back like Rhodesian Ridgeback or Thai Ridgeback but considered to be an older breed with strong evidence.

Interesting info Hung ... I've been involved in dog training and showing for almost 18 years and it is great finding out new info; my current dog is a Rhodesian Ridgeback and I knew of the Thai Ridgeback but not the Phu Quoc Dog, which looks agile and intelligent and well suited to hunting? I will try to find out more about it as best as I can. Thanks for the canine info as much of it I had not known existed. :thumbup: :D

bruce

My stepmother *breeds* Rhodies; we just sold another litter last month. I sent her a copy of the last post.

Hung now that just not nice. First ya show pictures that kick in one of my addictions by showin me those great knives.

Then ya get my love for dogs goin.

A most excellent post Hung! Thank you. I particularly like the part about the dogs of Vietnam.

It's fun to share with you these things. Lucky that we are in the Cantina where off-topic are allowed. This is not a forum on dog but let me just share some interesting info for you mates. Dear Mods, pls allow me to do that.

It came out of my imagination that we first talked about the H'mong people and their blades, and the H'mong flute, H'mong dog and now Phuquoc Ridgeback Dog (later I call it PRD in short). Are we going too far? Anyway, enjoy reading, mates!

In 1858, The French people came to Vietnam. Not long after that they found out the PRD in the isolated island of Phu Quoc, South Vietnam. They brought back 02 pairs of PRD to Paris but one sire was dead along the way, during transportation.

Then in 1891, an article on PRD has been written in La Nature magazine.
phuquoc1oi22.jpg

In 1897, Count Henri de Bylandt composed the book "Les Races the Chiens" which is a bible to any breeder, even until now. I dont understand French language and just understand these info though translation and explaination.

18-6-2007062.jpg

In that book, he also composed the breed standard of the PRD
18-6-2007134.jpg

Right at the footnote he said "as a judge, he never seen such a strange breed with hair on the back growing the opposite direction vs the rest of the body, and he hasnt seen any similar breed of dog with such a ridge on the back". This book contains more than 300 breeds of dog but the Rhodesian Ridgeback was not yet known to him at that time.

18-6-2007136.jpg

Last edited:
another dog lover here. dogs are never off topic :)

my two beasties: Blue (left) & Millie (right)
doggies.jpg

hard to get scale in that picture, both are greyhounds & about 28 kilos each. both ten yrs. old this year.

millie used to run professionally at the local dog racing track till she was injured in 2004 and i adopter her shortly after, she was quite good at it.

blue never ran as a racer, got him as a 10 month old pup, he is believed to be from traveller (nomadic gypsy) stock used to course and hunt rabbits. he'd apparently escaped from them & had been picked up by the police and turned in to the shelter where i found him. he's not as heavily muscled as millie as he was never trained for the track, but he has more endurance.

their ears are known as rose ears and can stand straight up with the tips almost touching when they get excited and are listening intently. they are generally folded flat back where they have a convoluted rose-like look. unlike other dogs, ears back is not aggressive.

their feet have longer toes and are compared to rabbits feet, and their toes are partially webbed, all for added traction. they have larger hearts than other breeds, confusing vets not familiar with them who think they have heart failure; they also have different blood chemistry, more red blood cells, and half the fat cells of other breeds. they also have VERY thin skin that tears easily (and makes veterinarian's accountants happy) which is why they wear muzzles when racing.

they are a very non-aggressive breed, at the very bottom of the rankings as far as biting humans, and are one of the ancient breeds that has been with us for many thousands of years. they are also extremely lazy, do NOT require much exercise, or space and sleep most of the day, much like cheetahs. (cheetahs are faster over the 1st hundred yards or so then the greys out-endure them)

whippets are smaller ;)

this picture shows the difference:
greyhound-whippet-ig.jpg

top:greyhound (not mine)
middle:whippet
bottom: italian greyhound

Blue is a blue brindle (light brown with gray stripes) like the greyhound in the comparison. Millie is a dark brindle and white (her patches are very dark brown with slightly lighter stripes). i can trace Millie's ancestry back to 1758, unlike my own or blue's :)

here's my other pet, oscar the fighting snail. he is a master at escrima.
snail.png

just kidding, thought it was time for a bit of jocularity.

Last edited:
Back