THE Hollow Handle Knife Thread

Hey guys, recently completed this prototype P.A.L. Knife- Personal Attaché, Lightweight (Pronounced "pal," cause it's there for you.:))
I will post the specs and more pics later, but wanted to drop a few pics. I hope you enjoy!

Z80iDoB.jpg

BOHCd6K.jpg

xsBwafV.jpg

Sam:thumbsup:

I like the blade and the apparent size. Sign me up when they are available! Good looking set up, Sam!

dsw0557 dsw0557 Thank you! These have a 4 7/8" long blade. I have let my Maker's membership lapse here, but these are available to order now (this one has sold), feel free to email me if you have any questions.

I usually put a slightly thicker (but not thick) edge on "tactical" type knives, in case they are used in unforgiving circumstances. But the edge is still quite keen, in my opinion.:):)

TAH TAH I thought this model had a more "woodland camo feel" to it than tiger stripe, so I tried to keep the theme going.:):)
Thank you for the compliments.

Reactions: TAH
A contribution and a question.
Here is a Smith & Wesson hollow handle I bought in the early eighties. Stainless 5 5/8" blade with mirror polish, soldered brass finger guard, brass pommel with o-ring, leather pouch sheath. I paid $42 at a knife store in Englewood, Colorado. I also bought the matching folding knife and drop point hunter, and I've never used them. I had made a few knives in the 70's (poorly) and the goodness of these S&W knives got me started collecting custom hunters because I knew I could never make as good as the old (and new) masters.

(OOPS. I was blocked...) Figgered it out.

Now my question. Some survival knives have spikes screwed onto the guard. What is the purpose?

Last edited:
Now my question. Some survival knives have spikes screwed onto the guard. What is the purpose?

L lawp I really like the S&W HH knives, thought that was a cool twist. As to the spikes on the guard (as with the Buckmaster), there are numerous accounts as to why. But basically to serve as a possible grappling hook (obviously a bad idea, throwing or using a knife like that with line attached, even in the sheath), and also for underwater use. Say to attach a line to and then lodge the knife in a crevice to hold your gear in place while you were on a "mission."

I honestly believe that the designers of the knife were probably sitting around thinking "Hey, what would make this thing look even more wicked? Yeah, knurled spikes on the guard quillions! That's the ticket!" And then they came up with the explanations ipso facto, to tie it all together. But I could be totally wrong. Fun either way.:D:cool:

Here is a Smith & Wesson hollow handle I bought in the early eighties. Stainless 5 5/8" blade with mirror polish, soldered brass finger guard, brass pommel with o-ring, leather pouch sheath.

I owned the same S&W hollow handle knife many years ago. They're beautiful and well crafted. :thumbsup:

Supposedly for Navy SEALs to anchor gear underwater, so the gear doesn't drift away in the current. Here's more: https://buck-184.com/

Supposedly for Navy SEALs to anchor gear underwater, so the gear doesn't drift away in the current. Here's more: https://buck-184.com/
Thanks for this! I enjoyed looking at the patent application. I have seen those for years, never knew what they were for, and never had enough "curiosity" to track down their use.

Thank you, Tom!:D:thumbsup:

Thank you, Mark! Haven't seen any of yours recently, feel free to share.:thumbsup:

Working on a bunch of new handles now. Duracoating the knives soon. I'll post when done. Thanks for asking.

A bunch of new scales for the 1911 Bowie fresh off the press. We've been getting a lot of requests for colors other than the standard drab military colors.

DSCF0100-X3.jpg

Back