THE Hollow Handle Knife Thread

Finished a couple of SSII Kodiak's recently. These are a kick to make.

RUOFmN5.jpg

99MKWRW.jpg

6hTnjCu.jpg

Sam :thumbsup:

Finished a couple of SSII Kodiak's recently. These are a kick to make.

RUOFmN5.jpg

99MKWRW.jpg

6hTnjCu.jpg

Sam :thumbsup:
These look great, Sam. Can’t remember from our past telephone conversations, but have you experimented or tested a split tooth design? I remember Lile saying split teeth were “self-cleaning”. Is there any truth to that?

Also, Happy New Year to you and your family. Hope you had a great Christmas. :)

These look great, Sam. Can’t remember from our past telephone conversations, but have you experimented or tested a split tooth design? I remember Lile saying split teeth were “self-cleaning”. Is there any truth to that?

Also, Happy New Year to you and your family. Hope you had a great Christmas. :)

Thank you Tom, and I hope you and your family are safe and healthy, also. Wild times, lol. We need to do another phone call, soon.

I had toyed with the idea of split sawteeth, but in my mind the gold standard was the Timberline survival knife, and it went through a 2x4 in approximately 30 seconds or so, and those teeth were not split. To me, splitting them both adds a step, and by removing metal slightly weakens an already questionable design feature. So I decided to not split them, as I could not find any evidence that it would appreciably increase the speed that the saw would cut.

In the video below, using an M7 of mine (with a 7.75" long blade, so probably a 3.5"-4" saw), I am able to go through a fairly sticky 2x4 in about 24 seconds. There are a lot of variables involved, but I just don't see splitting the teeth reducing that time by much. Maybe someday I will prove myself wrong. Again, lol.:p:D

Sam:thumbsup:

Thank you Tom, and I hope you and your family are safe and healthy, also. Wild times, lol. We need to do another phone call, soon.

I had toyed with the idea of split sawteeth, but in my mind the gold standard was the Timberline survival knife, and it went through a 2x4 in approximately 30 seconds or so, and those teeth were not split. To me, splitting them both adds a step, and by removing metal slightly weakens an already questionable design feature. So I decided to not split them, as I could not find any evidence that it would appreciably increase the speed that the saw would cut.

In the video below, using an M7 of mine (with a 7.75" long blade, so probably a 3.5"-4" saw), I am able to go through a fairly sticky 2x4 in about 24 seconds. There are a lot of variables involved, but I just don't see splitting the teeth reducing that time by much. Maybe someday I will prove myself wrong. Again, lol.:p:D

I agree, Sam. Why add an extra step and time for no additional benefit. I have always remembered Lile's "self-cleaning" comment and wondered if that was really true. It would be interesting to know if he experimented with both.

Agreed, it would be interesting to find out. The whole design has certainly generated interest/discussion and even controversy for nearly 40 years. Wow!!:eek::)

Sam

Reactions: TAH
I will add the pics of this knife also, but here's a quick cut test. These are the things that happen when you spend your days alone in a knife shop while heavily caffeinated.:D

Here are a few pics of this latest W.U.R.Knife I completed (Wilson Utility and Recreation Knife). This one has a blade of CPM154 stainless steel, stainless guard, aluminum handle, and aluminum buttcap w/skull crusher pommel. It is the knife in the cut test video above. :D:D

It has a hollow ground blade, black GunKote finish, and tan cord wrap. I'm very pleased with how the whole package came out. Feel free to leave any feedback or comments/questions. Thank you!

0BXQxzV.jpg

Qc4FEoq.jpg

VZiosHU.jpg

xrZa6Sx.jpg

Thanks, Tom! I like the color scheme, also. Photographs well, too.

Reactions: TAH
Had some time recently and put this quick video together. The knife in the video is one of my M1 hollow handle survival knives, and it is clamped to the wall by the blade. I then proceed to do chinups on it. Effects added for fun.:D:D

So the next time somebody tells you hollow handle "survival" knives are junk, they may be right. But not my knives. This is abusive and not covered by warranty, but I believe it demonstrates the point.

Sam, I'm not sure if I'm more impressed with the strength of your HH knives or the number of chinups you can do. :D Good stuff! :thumbsup:

Lol, thank you. It was pretty awkward doing the chinups, as I remember thinking that if the wall mounted "vise" failed I would jamming the knife real hard into my own nether regions. And nobody wants 9" of hardened steel down their pants. Well, maybe Gaston444 might like it.:D:D

A new batch of cargo compartments for the 1911 Combat Survivor Bowie.
DSCF0150-X3.jpg

The CNC Mill cutting the windows in the magazine for the compartment door/diamond hone.
DSCF0151-X2.jpg

After engraving, the knives are cleaned, sharpened and assembled at the sharpening/assembly bench. You can see some of the survival ulu/hatchets to the right.
DSCF0152-X3.jpg

Putting the good stuff in the cargo compartment for the 1911 Bowies.
DSCF0165-X3.jpg

There's the Readyman survival card, the Leatherman Micra, the ferric/magnesium fire starter rod, the sewing needles and fish hooks, the synthetic sinew and the the diamond hone door to hold it all in. the LED light is on the thong.

DSCF0169-X3.jpg

Ready for the knives.

DSCF0171-X3.jpg

The rumored but seldom seen Survival Ulu/Hatchet ready for assembly and sharpening.

Thanks Mark. I always enjoy the "behind-the-scenes" shop photos. Your 1911 Bowie is such a unique, well thought-out, effective, survival tool. Great job as always! :thumbsup:

Thanks Mark. I always enjoy the "behind-the-scenes" shop photos. Your 1911 Bowie is such a unique, well thought-out, effective, survival tool. Great job as always! :thumbsup:
You are very kind, thank you.

Back