The ideal multi-tool for travel abroad.

Pinnah, you have no idea how helpful your last post is. Thank you very much for the info and the photos. I really like to pack light and minimally, but being overseas might be a good time for some redundancies in the tool department. It's better to have overkill than be without the one implement you really need in a pinch.

I carry a Spyderco Cat (not too expensive) when I travel as it is a great slicer. I also carry a Vic Cadet or Pioneer, plus a Classic SD or Jetsetter for the scissors.

Couple years ago trekked all over Costa Rica and Nicaragua. Always carried on me SOG Seal Pup. (serrations & SS AUS8), plus super light. AND, don't leave home w/out it!...the Victorinox Swiss Champ. Everything you'll ever want and need with you. If it was not on my belt, then in day pack.

I'd say your best option is a plier-based MT (strong, hard working tool, tough repairing and dismantling jobs, twisting and bending, prying, cutting wire/cable/rope, screwing, gouging, ripping...) paired with a SAK (versatile and useful, fine cutting, slicing, scissor-cutting, small screw driving, knotting and sewing, sawing, toothpick and tweezers for medical/precision stuff).

IMG_20160408_191825_676_zpslfqj6hq3.jpg

IMG_20160404_111906_615_zpsvkqavcxi.jpg

Try to avoid locking tools, OHO blades, non-friendly looking tools and you'll avoid any confiscation or problems with the law, while having all your bases covered

Actually, the best tool to take on a European trip is the original PST.

Tim Leatherman toured Europe in a VW minivan with a SAK and got frustrated repairing the van. He came home and created the first PST.

As for EDC knives, I would be taking some money and coming home with some European traditionals.

Actually, the best tool to take on a European trip is the original PST.

Tim Leatherman toured Europe in a VW minivan with a SAK and got frustrated repairing the van. He came home and created the first PST.

As for EDC knives, I would be taking some money and coming home with some European traditionals.

Indeed, on my first trip to England, I took a PST. But I didn't leave my Swisschamp at home. That would have been just wrong. As it happened, I used the S'champ more than the PST, which I only needed once, but glad to have had it on that occasion. You never know what you are going to need until you need it.

No doubt, PST and ST 300 (or ST200, Core, SuperTool) will get most jobs done, and can be found cheap, carried comfortably, and stand abuse.

IMG_20160326_083352_781_zpsu4ou4hp5.jpg

IMG_20160326_083952_660_zpsw6j3wx5f.jpg

But I'd still pair it with some finer work tool, be it a Micra, PS4, SAK or something similar.

20150705_093238_zpsfw0xvihs.jpg

Even if it's a Classic in the keychain.

IMG_20160327_122751_971_zpsioh8uhz3.jpg

As I wrote earlier, locking knives of any size are not a problem in the Czech Republic.

Also, guys, remember: It won't be an off-the-grid jungle excursion. It's central Europe, not Eastern Europe (Prague is actually west of Vienna).

...Does anyone know when the Pioneer-X is arriving in North America? My trip is in late June so I'm hoping before then. I've searched around but haven't found much credible info on this..

One well-known U.S. online knife dealer is reporting that the Pioneer-X is due to arrive on 4/28/16 and another dealer appears to have them in stock now. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I'll be visiting Munchen this year and I am planning to take my alox soldier with me. I don't expect to need much knife usage (and I am planning to buy few knives anyway) but it has bottle opener and I do plan on having few beers. :D :thumbup:

I'll be visiting Munchen this year and I am planning to take my alox soldier ... it has bottle opener and I do plan on having few beers. :D :thumbup:

Now you're talking! :thumbup: You might want to bring a spare in case you wear out yours. ;)

CRKT Guppie? Has an adjustable wrench, no pliers. Uses standard 1/4 inch screwdriver bits. Carries unobtrusively on a belt loop.

SAK of some sort? Tinker/Super Tinker, Farmer, Climber, or Huntsman?

When I travel overseas again, I am bringing a SAK Explorer kind of knife and a LM Super Tool type tool. I feel I could carry the larger MT in my pack and the smaller non locking SAK in my pocket.

I am finding my confiscation fear is more reality in my checked luggage and mail systems than on person. I have had at least one non locking SAK taken from my checked luggage not to mention one or two from the mail service.

I carried a cheap crappy MT before because I feared the loss would hurt. Heck with that, I'll being a quality MT for now on. If it gets taken, then so be it. Its not an heirloom or high dollar custom piece. They're just tools.

When traveling abroad (or domestically), I always take either a Victorinox Explorer or a Climber model. They are compact and easy to pocket, have very useful implement sets, don't generally break any laws, and are recognizable to everybody on earth as a reasonable tool to carry. The one time in years that I forgot one, I immediately found a Victorinox dealer and purchased a replacement the first day.

23000653061_bdd08cb3d2_h.jpg

16499362792_7d7ca24e29_h.jpg

Good luck in your choice and have a great trip!

When traveling abroad (or domestically), I always take either a Victorinox Explorer or a Climber model.
I've carried a Climber or a Climber without the key ring (discontinued, forget the name) on domestic and overseas travel since the early '80s.

I really like my Explorer Plus. I chose it because it has the in line phillips instead of the T phillips. So it has the corkscrew which is great with knots, the leather punch, hook and even a magnifying glass that I've read can start a fire. Atleast it'll start a fire in the daytime, it just magnifies at night.Anyway it's not a small knife as far as width, but it's comfortable in jeans. It also has a scissors.

I´d go with your Farmer and a LM PS4 ... and you´ll be covered for most everything that could happen in Good Ol' Europe.

I really like my Explorer Plus. I chose it because it has the in line phillips instead of the T phillips. So it has the corkscrew which is great with knots, the leather punch, hook and even a magnifying glass that I've read can start a fire. Atleast it'll start a fire in the daytime, it just magnifies at night.Anyway it's not a small knife as far as width, but it's comfortable in jeans. It also has a scissors.

I have heard you could start a fire with these, but so far my attempts have not been met with success. My Swisschamp that I got in 1993 has a magnifier I have tried using to start a fire each summer since and haven't succeeded yet. The best I could manage has been wisps of smoke from tinder or to burn holes in paper. While it has been entertaining (if hazardous) to give my pals the occasional hot spot, I haven't found the right combination of sun and combustion. But I have not let that discourage me. This summer I will for sure light my way to glory (or not.)

I think that adding to the comment I stated previously, I might even go with SwissChamp instead.. to be very prepared! :D

....If You don't want to risk your knife get confiscated on the airport I can buy a knife for you here and give it to you after your arrival or just lead you to one of the local knife shops.
Is that a problem in the Czech Rep?

Without knowing the laws, it would depend on the kind of things I would do. For me, most things can be handled with a Tinker. Woods.... your One Handed Trekker might come in handy. Pliers based multi-tool? Maybe a LM Style PS or Squirt depending on whether or not you want it in your pocket at the airport.

(I also did not notice it was a 4 year old thread.)

Back