The Ironwood Thread

er1NVoP.jpg

tZQcaYP.jpg

Please pardon the unimaginative title but sometimes simple and direct is best.

I did not see a dedicated Ironwood thread (despite my best sleuthing efforts) so I thought that due to its popularity as a cover material, one was certainly warranted. Ironwood is popular for a reason. It is a hard, durable wood with exceptional beauty and character. No two pieces are alike.

Now I understand that Ironwood is a rather broad term that encompasses many different species but I will let someone more knowledgeable that I comment in regards to that.

Otherwise, please let this be a place where folks can discuss its merits as a cover material and show off their collections!

Here are some pictures of my modest assortment. Note the significant differences in character and hue.

8K9rBMr.jpg

JG7diD9.jpg

EwQQwC4.jpg

C6NMWPP.jpg

izTc3gs.jpg

mgeg19g.jpg
My favorite wood, Dylan!:thumbsup:

Great examples here:eek::cool:

mTYDlQA.jpg

Your 78 is a beauty :thumbsup::cool:, James, but there are some scary faces in the grain on both sides! :eek:;)
- GT
Thanks GT, both for the compliment and the face info. ;) I hadn't noticed. It may look scary but I assure you it's harmless. It might have grown that way trying to intimidate those who might chop it down. Now that it is a treasured possession it would grow pleasant, smiling faces :D (if only it could change it's stripes). Just goes to show you, "you can't judge a knife by it's cover." ;)

That is spectacular!
Thanks John.

Back