The kinda unspecified CRK talk thread.

Had a weird dream last night where I got the chance to pick up someone else's small Inkosi. For some reason the grip was weird so I didn't like the way it felt at all and it was about half the size of a Sebenza so I couldn't even contort my hand properly to open it.

• Haha
Reactions: 353
Original, Classic , 21... I don't think there is 5% difference in them! Even the Regular, though cosmetically different is mechanically similar...They are great!!!, and I'll bet when CRK (IF!) gets caught up, there will be a commemorative issue made!

Original, Classic , 21... I don't think there is 5% difference in them! Even the Regular, though cosmetically different is mechanically similar...They are great!!!, and I'll bet when CRK (IF!) gets caught up, there will be a commemorative issue made!
On paper, the 31 is probably a better knife. Stronger lock. Better steel, etc. However, I still think the 21 is a nicer knife and I just kinda like it more. I have a user 21, which I love, but I found a new 21 from an authorized dealer before they went extinct. I decided to keep it minty for posterity. It's the only safe queen knife I have ever owned.

I think my Sm 31 is smoothing out nicely…until I grab one of my small 21’s. 😞
Some of it is washers & whatnot, but I wonder how much of it may have to do with lockbar tension?
(But I don’t wonder so much that I’m going to screw with it.) 😁
I also have a small Inkosi that’s otherworldly.

Reactions: 353
Great idea for a thread! Since we are just chatting, I sharpened my Damascus 31 for the first time this past weekend. Holy abrasives, Batman. That steel gets sharp. I don't have the Edge on Up, but I'm sure it's sharper than my s35vn and s45vn. I'm a Wicked Edge user and I always use a full diamond progression on the CPM steels, but I followed that with ceramics on the Damascus. Of course, the Damascus can't compete for edge retention, but that edge wants to bite!
Thats great news! I just picked up a Large 31 in ladder damascus and am working on breaking it in. Was curious to hear peoples experiences with edge retention vs ease of sharpening over s35vn / s30v.

What are the mechanical differences in the 31 and the InkOSI? Seems like the 25 was introduced to have the ceramic ball and adjustable pivot, and did the INKOSI and 31 come directly from that?

What are the mechanical differences in the 31 and the InkOSI? Seems like the 25 was introduced to have the ceramic ball and adjustable pivot, and did the INKOSI and 31 come directly from that?
For all intents and purposes, the 25 does not have an adjustable pivot due to the mechanically secured stop pin, which is also indexed. The 31 has a bushing pivot like all (real) Sebenza's, meaning the pivot screw is tightened fully against the precisely fit/tuned bushing. The Inkosi has a "floating" stop pin (it passes completely through the show scale) which means it does not effect the spacing between the scales, allowing complete tightness control by the pivot. And as far as the ceramic ball interface, the Umnumzaan introduced that (as well as "adjustable" pivot) long before the 25 and subsequent Inkosi.

Some of it is washers & whatnot, but I wonder how much of it may have to do with lockbar tension?

The tension has a lot to say. But you can check the washer action by unlocking it horizontally and see if the blade drops.

Just bought a 2nd hand large 31.
I'm sad that my KME only goes down to 17°, I was hoping to get to 15°. It's s35vn.

They’re lower profile. Perhaps not as secure, but they should be secure enough. Keep them clamped close to the spine & I’m pretty sure it’ll work.

If you want me to set mine up and check, I *might* have time tomorrow. (my 9 hour workdays frequently become 11h workdays).

Never say never, a co-worker expressed interest in a Mnandi a couple months ago. Naturally, I got excited and got the lo down from him. His only interest was one with box elder inlays. Told him to hunker down and wait for a batch to drop. In the meantime, I showed him other inlays that were available. Nope, it has to be box elder.
Keep in mind, I’m not a fan of the Mnandi, I’ve had a couple and moved them because of the size. I wasn’t too thrilled to go on the hunt, but knowing someone else that has a CRK is worth the time.
Last week, KSF received a batch. Got the email, went to the site and ordered one for my co-worker. Got to thinking about it, and decided to get a second one for myself, you know, just to try it out one more time. I picked out two that are close to twins in the wood grain.
They came in yesterday, let my co-worker pick the one he liked and kept this one. I may have a change of heart about the Mnandi having this one.

69FBE84D-E684-4032-B28B-CC9A7778D42D.jpeg

Never say never, a co-worker expressed interest in a Mnandi a couple months ago. Naturally, I got excited and got the lo down from him. His only interest was one with box elder inlays. Told him to hunker down and wait for a batch to drop. In the meantime, I showed him other inlays that were available. Nope, it has to be box elder.
Keep in mind, I’m not a fan of the Mnandi, I’ve had a couple and moved them because of the size. I wasn’t too thrilled to go on the hunt, but knowing someone else that has a CRK is worth the time.
Last week, KSF received a batch. Got the email, went to the site and ordered one for my co-worker. Got to thinking about it, and decided to get a second one for myself, you know, just to try it out one more time. I picked out two that are close to twins in the wood grain.
They came in yesterday, let my co-worker pick the one he liked and kept this one. I may have a change of heart about the Mnandi having this one.

View attachment 1990798
Hell of a guy! That's what great co-workers are all about :)! And box elders are so beautiful.

Currently on fleabay there is a listing for a completely bastardized carbon fiber 31. It has a damascus blade from another knife, aftermarket studs that look like they have grind marks or plier marks going all the way around them, "custom" lock side "inlays" that look like a six year old cut them out of a sheet of ply, and a scratched up aftermarket clip. How much do they want for it? Just under $2000. Don't worry though, it's brand new never sharpened or carried and has only cut paper. The studs and inlays are also "engineered." He payed a premium to put this together and ebay is charging him a $270 fee to sell it so cut him a break. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Currently on fleabay there is a listing for a completely bastardized carbon fiber 31. It has a damascus blade from another knife, aftermarket studs that look like they have grind marks or plier marks going all the way around them, "custom" lock side "inlays" that look like a six year old cut them out of a sheet of ply, and a scratched up aftermarket clip. How much do they want for it? Just under $2000. Don't worry though, it's brand new never sharpened or carried and has only cut paper. The studs and inlays are also "engineered." He payed a premium to put this together and ebay is charging him a $270 fee to sell it so cut him a break. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
But to be fair he is including cream. I’ve never seen a CRK that comes with cream; it must be good.

Of course it’s a scam, but it’s one of those that could only dupe those who are truly gullible and have money (or not - maybe their CC is maxed out). It’s almost Darwinian in its execution. And you have to give credit to the seller for some creative bullshit in constructing not only a knife but also a screwy narrative to market it. At least it’s entertaining. Thanks for sharing your find!

Back