The knife that will do everything?

A manly knife of course . :)
Not just a knife...a manly knife.....
Uwc3yeP.jpg

thats remarkable. I’m only mildly acquainted with his adventures, but he seems every bit the “real deal” people talk about. I can’t believe on a 60 mile hike he was taking deer and processing them... much less three of them! That seems like so much effort. He must not have been harvesting the whole animal- I would guess a single deer could last longer than 3 days.

I like the nessmuk trio concept- with the trio you could make a decent camp. I just wonder if it’s the way to go if you’re trying to trek long distances.
You are spot on! :thumbsup:

He writes that since he was only taking part of the deer each time, he didn’t want to keep shooting them. He describes how, having cut his portion from the first deer, he could hear wolves getting to work as he walked on!

Heck if you’re going to really go rough, why even take a knife? Just train yourself to run faster, jump higher and tear things apart with your bare hands and you would be set for the wild. Lol

I would pick one of my SurviveKnives GSO series...a 4" or 5" model...
3V I love 'em.

Heck if you’re going to really go rough, why even take a knife? Just train yourself to run faster, jump higher and tear things apart with your bare hands and you would be set for the wild. Lol

it would be a very short trip. Maybe that is how the legend of Big Foot came about, it has been suggested that the wild men in the woods were Native Americans from tribes who had to prove themselves or were on a spiritual journey of discovery.

When I was a kid, a bunch of us would fool around playing "mountain man" in the little wooded area at the end of the street.
We'd use our hatchets to chop down trees & to cut firewood.

Fast forward a dozen plus years to Christmas time - the first Christmas my ex took off to "find herself" & left me and the two kids behind. I wanted to treat the kids to something special - such as a real tree we went into the woods & cut down. There was a Christmas tree farm that offered that, so, off we went - me with my hatchet in hand.
The guy working there laughed & tools me the hatchet was more trouble that it was worth & handed me a bow saw.
I was sort of disappointed until I used it.

Ya'll can keep your fancy hatchets. Me? I'm finding some way to pack in a bow saw ;)

When I was a kid, a bunch of us would fool around playing "mountain man" in the little wooded area at the end of the street.
We'd use our hatchets to chop down trees & to cut firewood.

Fast forward a dozen plus years to Christmas time - the first Christmas my ex took off to "find herself" & left me and the two kids behind. I wanted to treat the kids to something special - such as a real tree we went into the woods & cut down. There was a Christmas tree farm that offered that, so, off we went - me with my hatchet in hand.
The guy working there laughed & tools me the hatchet was more trouble that it was worth & handed me a bow saw.
I was sort of disappointed until I used it.

Ya'll can keep your fancy hatchets. Me? I'm finding some way to pack in a bow saw ;)
Living pine certainly will respond well to a saw! Not certain it would be my first choice to burn for a camp fire though... ;)

A nice saw with cut on the pull stroke eats wood like a beaver, but cant split worth spit. There's usually more than enough dead wood laying around for fire making purposes, especially if you're off the beaten path. No one else around to beat you to it!

A nice saw with cut on the pull stroke eats wood like a beaver, but cant split worth spit. There's usually more than enough dead wood laying around for fire making purposes, especially if you're off the beaten path. No one else around to beat you to it!
Yes, I’ve had a Bahco for a while, now upgraded to a Silky. And for small stuff the SAK farmer is great. :thumbsup:

In really wet conditions, finding dry stuff on the ground can be tough, but I agree that perseverance often pays off, and getting away from other people! :D

Back