The Liberty Series

Howard Wallace

I’ve been dropping hints for a couple of years about a special project I was working with HI. The postman delivered the results today and I must say I am most impressed. After extensive communication with HI experts, the three blades in the liberty series were created. They draw from the cultures of Scotland, the United States, and Nepal. The blades are the liberty bowie (L1), the liberty dirk (L2), and the liberty khukuri, (L3). Purists from any of these cultures will complain. What kind of bowie has a cho? What kind of dirk has a coffin handle? What kind of khukuri has a guard? The answer is that these do.

These designs draw heavily on Master at Arms James A. Keating’s insights into fencing with a blade. Years ago I discussed the khukuri with him. While he acknowledged the khukuri’s deadly effectiveness, he didn’t care for them because of their lack of defensive capability. Even Kami Sherpa tacitly acknowledged this when he explained (as quoted on this forum) that the Gurkhas are willing to “trade up.” A finger for an arm, an arm for a head, etc.. This philosophy is alien to the fencer, who strives to make a touch without being touched himself. The liberty series incorporates both offensive and defensive abilities that accommodate a fencer’s approach. You will notice forward curving guards aligned with the cho. Some will have seen such designs before, perhaps in Keating’s crossada, or Bill Bagwell’s Hell’s Belle. (Bagwell has also been heavily influenced by Keating’s theories and techniques.) Those who do not understand the purpose and/or usage of these designs will scoff at them, and that is ok. Those of us who have studied and practiced with them understand. The other thing we understand is that we may have to drop a grand or more to buy a good blade effectively incorporating this type of design.

1013517_10200917584516384_1186604360_n.jpg

1013517_10200917584516384_1186604360_n.jpg

L1 – (right) A bowie style with a heavier blade for significant chopping and utility use. Capable of backcutting. Draws on the design of the historical Bart Moore bowie.

L2 – (left) A thin-bladed dirk/bowie style oriented a bit more towards fencing. Capable of backcutting.

L3 – (center) A light and quick khukuri modeled on the one-of-a-kind udhaipur that inspired the Gelbu special. The udhaipur was significantly lighter and quicker than most of the GSs. The khukuri shape gives a significant chopping advantage but gives up the backcutting ability.

(Corrected specs added 7/13/13 from Yangdu's post. As always, there may be some variation in the work of different kamis.)

L-1
Overall length 13/3/4''
Weight --18 oz
Spine thickness--1/4''
Blade width --1 3/4''
Brass guard, bolster and buttcap
Satisal wood handle
Leather sheath

L-2
Overall length 17''
Weight --18 oz
Spine thickness--1/4''
Blade width --1 3/8''
Brass guard, bolster and buttcap
Horn handle
Leather sheath

L-3
Overall length 16.5''
Weight --20 oz
Spine thickness--1/4''
Brass guard, bolster, buttcap and tip
Horn handle
Standard leather scabbard

A word on the guard and the cho. The use of forward curving guards was well known in the historical western traditions of swordplay. A Google image search of “Florentine guard” should yield some interesting examples. These could be used to bind an opponent’s blade by the expedient of spiraling around once blade to blade contact occurred. This causes the forward guard at the forte (strong point) of one’s blade to engiage and bind the opponent’s blade, most probably at the foible (weak point) but possibly anywhere. Keating’s insight was that aligning a Spanish notch with the guard often lead to the happy accident of a blade being directed into the notch, creating possibilities for opportunistic breaks, binds, and disarms. My experiments indicate that the cho’s on the liberty series effectively present the same opportunities. For purposes of illustration I requested the assistance of my houseguest, Ms. Kuang Danmei, a taiji sword instructor from Beijing. Ms. Kuang is using a long foil for demonstration purposes, as we were working with a live blade and this provided a safe distance. You can see some illustrative binds in the photos below. The same techniques work with wider blades than foils.

1044920_10200917595996671_1239022332_n.jpg

998027_10200917585236402_480557236_n.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the pics didn't load up. I'm very interested in this project!

i definitely like the one on the left, the skinnier 'bagwell' style dirk-like bowie with the three dots near the pommel. would buy that one 1st in a flash. the pointy khukri version would also be nice maybe some time later. the broad bladed bowie i likely would not buy.

Howard,
Most interesting! Looking forward to more pictures, as well as weights and dimensions.
Berk

i definitely like the one on the left, the skinnier 'bagwell' style dirk-like bowie with the three dots near the pommel. would buy that one 1st in a flash. the pointy khukri version would also be nice maybe some time later. the broad bladed bowie i likely would not buy.
Howard,
I definitely agree with kronckew. I would buy that L2 in a heart beat!! That is an awesome looking bowie.
Great work on getting something like this going. They are all beauts, but the L2 is out of the park to me!
Whichever one that has the Bagwell look. That appeals to me hugely!!
I hope more get produced.
Rick

Last edited:
Hopefully pics are working now. I added some specs to the original post. Life is not going to permit me to add any additional pics or specs for a while.

"Purists from any of these cultures will complain."This is correct. I don't think I'm a purist but I think traditional designs are traditional for one reason: they work! That being said I like to see custom projects like yours Howard. As most have said bravo on the Liberty bowie (L1) and the liberty dirk (L2): great job. Those two are nice although the wider one looks awkward to use in fighting techniques.

The liberty khukuri, (L3) looks like an excellent blade with a large butt plate. The guard would definitely interfere with many tasks. The guard is not preferred or recommended. In Kukri fighting I read defense is not a tactic Gurkha's use unless absolutely necessary and then they are not happy. So "A finger for an arm, an arm for a head", seems logical for them. They don't parry much.

I call it like I see it. Thanks for sharing this interesting project!

Howard a ton of insight and thought went into each of those designs. Congratulations on a job well done, can't wait to see how they turn out for you when get to play with them for while!

Howard:

Nice blades. I think you have the pictures of L1 and L2 reversed. Your text describes L1 (left) as the shorter, heavier blade, but in the photo the shorter, heavier blade is on the right.

-- Dave

Very interesting Howard. My eye has a hard time getting used to seeing a guard on that khuk, but I will say that blade shape and handle make a striking pair! Did I read that correctly: 17" and 13.4 oz.? I bet that's one fast blade! I know nothing of knife fighting, other than I want no part of it:D, so I appreciate your insight. Thanks for sharing your project with us and well done.:thumbup:

Dave, thanks for catching the error. I fixed it but posts above this one may have some confusion between L1 and L2.

The stats are correct. Glad to see some folks enjoying the designs.

[7/13/13 edit - HW] The stats I initially posted were indeed wrong. I've corrected the initial post. Thanks jdk1 for bringing the error to my attention.

Last edited:
Nice collaborations, Howard, thanks for sharing them.
I love the dirk and the bowie the most. I feel more comfortable with my thicker WW II style of khuk. The handle on the dirk looks most comfortable and the quillons are very useful size and style. I love me a good Bowie and have cut a few Cho into them over time. A useful clip is important to me as well.

Mark

I totally agree on your point regarding the L3, SCR. The weight to length ratio is excellent, but I think the guard (lower portion) might interfere during chopping. Other than that, those are most excellent knives!

I totally agree on your point regarding the L3, SCR. The weight to length ratio is excellent, but I think the guard (lower portion) might interfere during chopping. Other than that, those are most excellent knives!
hit near the handle.jpg
And while using a baton it would be difficult to hit near the handle. Almost a sure thing that you will hit that guard (a lot). I like that Howard is thinking out of the box but this part just doesn't seem to work in my opinion.

Sorry about our lanyard disagreement earlier iliam. I was too forceful in that debate.

No problems, SCR, I never took that personally. Passionate = forceful, and this is a forum for passionate people. Your insights and information relating to the history behind khikuri were actually very interesting.

Back to the discussion here, I think the reason khukuries lacked any guards is because it was meant to be more of an all-purpose tool. So, it doesn't have the necessary parts for swordplay, dueling, etc. It is rather a simple skirmish weapon, and historically proven to be a very effective one. Maybe, Nepali warriors used additionally a small shield, to compensate for this lack of a integral guard? I guess, I am just trying to say there could have been a whole martial art system of some sorts, and the kukuri was only one part of that system.

iliam

All solid points iliam. I think you're onto something with the shield. It's definitely preferred instead of the guard on the Kukri, historically speaking.

[video=youtube;hpy7v2dLefk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpy7v2dLefk[/video]
This Khukri Dance of the Gorkhas uses a shield for blocking and "defense".

Kukri-Shield fighting has been used in combat by Nepalis and still is trained for but only for entertainment & motivational purposes I'm told. And "after the Anglo-Nepal war 1814-16 the shield (called Dhal) is seen less n less among the gurkhas and nepali warriors". Comment from V Kunwor on The Antique Kukri Forum.
lamb-Deva SSJBR.jpg
Above: Maharajah Dev Shumshere with Kukri & shield

Very cool, Howard! I love unique pieces of imagineering. :thumbup:

Yes, a quillon of that design on a kuk does look strange, but it definitely serves a purpose on a theoretical level. I prefer to have a simple straight lower guard to protect the fingers, and more to prevent slippage than anything else. All of my future khukuris will have that feature. The purists will cry about that, but I'll still have my fingers after hitting something solid with a full-power stab! :D

If it comes down to it, I view blades as being useful either for a surprise attack against an armed goblin or taking out an unarmed adversary face to face. Having just a little experience, and knowing guys with just a little more, going knife on knife or anything similar to that is not a good idea.

"Ain't no such thing as a winner in a knife fight."

Then again, if someone has a knife and I have a katana ... ;)

Great pix and post, thank you for the design and help, Howard
Soon I will offer them for sale on the blade forum

I think the reason khukuries lacked any guards is because it was meant to be more of an all-purpose tool. So, it doesn't have the necessary parts for swordplay, dueling, etc. It is rather a simple skirmish weapon, and historically proven to be a very effective one. Maybe, Nepali warriors used additionally a small shield, to compensate for this lack of a integral guard? I guess, I am just trying to say there could have been a whole martial art system of some sorts, and the kukuri was only one part of that system.

iliam

What kind of guard did the Romans put on their gladius? :)

I think they had exactly what you went on to say, a whole martial art system, with that relatively short sword only part of it.

Back