The life of a Case peanut from Day 1

I just received a chestnut bone Case peanut with CV steel in the mail. I purchased it off a popular online auction site and couldn't be happier. Fit and finish is quite solid (especially for a $30 knife), and the blades are damn sharp. I thought as a little experiment, I'd post photos of it here starting today. Then, every so often, I'll click another pic and let you guys know how she's aging, taking a patina, etc.

Here are the first two pics. This one hasn't cut anything yet; I haven't even dropped 'er into my pocket!

-- Mark

Nut1.jpg

Nut2.jpg

Last edited:
Suddenly I've got this indelible image in my mind of Ralph Kramden saying:

"Peanuts! Peanuts, Alice! What am I supposed to do with peanuts?"

Congrats on a nice new knife, Mark. Use it in good health. :thumbup:

When I used to go to North Carolina to visit my Grandma, she'd always have some roasted peanuts and boiled peanuts for me. You don't plan on roasting or boiling that peanut do you?:eek::)

Very nice knife. Looking forward to your updates.

Oh, one more thing. I vow: No pre-patina on this one. Oh, I might cut an apple here or there, but nothing beyond that.

-- Mark

You should force patina it with an image of Mr. Peanut. :)

I don't know about Mr. Peanut, but if this image should mysteriously and unaccountably reveal itself on the blade, I'm opening up a shrine and charging admission to the faithful!!!

GIF%20Case%20Family1.gif

:p

I never get tired of looking at traditionals, especially the Case types. Who needs a forced patina? Give it a year and she'll look nice & broken-in.

Boiled peanuts - man I miss those. (When we were visiting family in NC in 2005, we were driving down Cowee mountain toward Dilsboro, and saw a sign for "bolied peanuts". We've called them "bolied peanuts" ever since. :p)

~Chris

I never get tired of looking at traditionals, especially the Case types. Who needs a forced patina? Give it a year and she'll look nice & broken-in.

Boiled peanuts - man I miss those. (When we were visiting family in NC in 2005, we were driving down Cowee mountain toward Dillsboro, and saw a sign for "bolied peanuts". We've called them "bolied peanuts" ever since. :p)

~Chris

That's just down the road a piece from here...

ncmap.jpg

Boiled peanuts - man I miss those. (When we were visiting family in NC in 2005, we were driving down Cowee mountain toward Dilsboro, and saw a sign for "bolied peanuts". We've called them "bolied peanuts" ever since. :p)

~Chris

Hell, make 'em! Boiled peanuts aren't hard at all. Salt, water, raw nuts and time.

I can't understand why anyone would want to ruin a perfectly good peanut by boiling it. - EJ

That's just down the road a piece from here...

Yup. Small world. :cool:

Hell, make 'em! Boiled peanuts aren't hard at all. Salt, water, raw nuts and time.

Oh, we do. 'Bolied peanuts' are my 'popcorn' this time of the year, for our family movie nights. Raw peanuts show up at the Farmer's Markets out here during the late summer & early fall, and it's a filipino tradition to steam them, so there's quite a sizable market for them out here. It's almost like bein' back in the Carolina hills...not quite, but almost...

I can't understand why anyone would want to ruin a perfectly good peanut by boiling it. - EJ

Oh, you poor, unenlightened soul. :( First step: you need to get yourself to the nearest hardware store, and buy yourself a nice Case CV Peanut. (Do NOT boil this peanut.) Step two: go to your local produce market, and buy a pound of peanuts. These you boil, in saltwater, for 45 min. to 1 hour. Sit down on the back porch, watch the sun set, admire your Case peanut, and shell & eat the boiled ones. Experience the joy of universal enlightenment. :)

~Chris

(ps - mnblade, sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Looking forward to hearing more about your new little companion there.)

It must be a deep south kind of thing. :confused:

Carl.

Even the gas stations around Charleston and Myrtle Beach, SC sell boiled peanuts. They're worth tryin'.

You'll probably never find them 'round these parts tho'.

As for the life of a peanut, I'll be looking forward to your updates. :thumbup:

Nice 'nut, Mark. :thumbup: Hard to go wrong with Chestnut Bone CV - got one myself and it rides in the watch pocket every day.

Just checking in. I took these two pics just now.

Nut3.jpg

Nut4.jpg

I carry it in the watch-pocket of my jeans and haven't put any oil on the blades since I've been toting it. The only care I've showed the blades is wiping them down with a napkin (or a bit of my t-shirt) after use. I've done pretty pedestrian tasks with the 'nut so far, just your boring opening of envelopes, cutting open oranges, snipping stray threads of the kids' sweaters, etc. At this rate, I don't think the knife will truly look "pocket worn" for a decade. :(

Last edited:
... I don't think the knife will truly look "pocket worn" for a decade. :(

To make knife pocket worn... is long project... you have taken first step, which is hard part :thumbup:

now I really need to get CV peanut... nothing wrong in my satinless peanut but the the chestnut bone is so good looking. My chestnut SBJ needs a companion :D

Back