The life of a Case peanut from Day 1

I love the contrast of CV steel with a patina, the bright bolsters and Chestnut bone. I don't have a peanut but my swayback jack is the same materials and it's just gorgeous after a few apples.

I am going to get one of those chestnut peanuts (hmmm... that sounds strange), but I am going to leave those boiled (or bolied as the case may be) peanuts for those of you that like them. I have tried them and they are not for me.

That knife is looking good!!! :D

Ed

I can't understand why anyone would want to ruin a perfectly good peanut by boiling it. - EJ

I thought the same thing then I spent a year on Maui and ate a bag a day, I miss them.

An old hammer brand peanut was my first traditional knife so they hold a special place in my heart and my watch pocket. Congrats on your new case, look forward to your updates.

Best regards

Robin

you boil, in saltwater, for 45 min. to 1 hour. and shell & eat the boiled ones. Experience the joy of universal enlightenment. :)

Oh, you poor, unenlightened soul. :(
You should only know!

Do you eat them hot
or do you let them cool?

Do you have to buy peanuts in the shell
or will ordinary peanuts work?

I have a yellow CV Case Peanut in my pocket at this very moment
Blame Carl..........

I took this shot yesterday ...

NutSunday.jpg

I've carried this CV chestnut bone every single day since starting this thread. Sometimes it's down in my pocket with keys, coins, etc., and sometimes it rides in the watch pocket of my jeans. I've still not oiled the blades once, but no rust. It's amazing what the ole "spit and polish" maintenance regime can do. :D

I'm really really digging this knife. Does everything I need. :thumbup:

-- Mark

Last edited:
That 'nut keeps looking better and better. The only time I ever put oil on any of mine is when I oil the joints and haven't ever had a problem with rust either.

That is looking very nice. I just placed an order for a peanut this weekend, a Steel Warrior with ram's horn scales. I hope it turns out to be a pretty good knife, but it won't be my last peanut. I appreciate you keeping this thread going. and, I really like that chestnut bone.

Ed

i picked up a case chestnut peanut in cv over the weekend, it's been ridin in the watch pocket alot, but i really havn't used it, i've got a beater that gets worked hard at the bodyshop, but that peanut sure is a joy in the pocket and fun for show and tell, the 'nut is razor sharp right outta the box also.

thanks
sam

I can't understand why anyone would want to ruin a perfectly good peanut by boiling it. - EJ

I've had boiled peanuts once.

Once.:D

To each their own. If my paws weren't so darn big, I'd be all over those Case peanuts. Gave my last one to my baby sister, too small.

Thanks for sharing.

I remember back in the late 60s, I was stationed at Ft. Rucker, AL. Went to a Peanut Festival in Dothan, and fondly remember the boiled peanuts there. I never saw so many ways to fix peanuts in my life!

Anyway, thanks for posting. That's a nice 'nut you have there, hope it continues to serve you well.

Good thread. I have been torn on what to carry or the past couple weeks. I have been using my SBJ (green bone, ss), Yellow CV Peanut and USA 34OT Old Timer. The SBJ has been hogging up the pocket time. The Peanut, any Peanut, seems to stick once I can get it into my pocket. The Old Timer seems to only get a couple days at a time. I have put the rest of my knives in storage (traditionals and modern locking knives). It keeps things simple for now. I think I will put the Old Timer in the drawer to keep the SBJ company and the pretty Yellow CV Peanut will come out to play. Thanks again and keep us posted on your individual Peanut experience.

Here's a shot I took with my phone while I was walking to the office this morning.

NUTfsuhat.jpg

I've carried the knife every single day since I started this thread.

By the way, the hat is my little nod to Florida State's hoops team making the Sweet 16. :thumbup: (Truth be told, I wear it most every day anyway :D )

-- Mark

Hey Mark, it does not surprise me that the 'nut has been a good edc. While we really do need a cutting edge from time time, we don't really need much of one in this modern automobile and office cubicle life. Even a body shop. That's what Stanley utility knives and box cutters are for.

The weird thing about a peanut is, it offers as much blade as a barlow in some cases, close to that in others. Not much less blade than a medium Texas jack, and as much as most small serpintine jacks men carried when I was growing up. It's like somehow, a peanut has warped the space-time barrier. Although I would not want to be dropped into the great North Woods with only a peanut, but it certainly will do for day to day survival in the wilds of modern suburbia.

When I think back to the old guys with the little pen knives I always watched when I was growing up, they all seemed so competent with them. And that was WW2 era, when a lot of these guys had run up a not so nice beach. They knew what worked, and they were like my dad; the right tool for the job kind of guys. Yes, a peanut is a bit small for some things, but dad kept a cut down machete in his car for the bigger stuff.

We're mutants. We have to admit that. In a urbanized world, where most people get by with a Vic classic, and some folks use a key to saw with, we're out there carrying two, sometimes three knives. We're the knife knuts, the mutants, who wouldn't dream of walking out the door with a peanut, Eisenhower, or mini-copper head as our only edc pocket knife.

That's a beautiful little chestnut peanut, Mark. It will probably do most of what you need to do with a pocket knife for the rest of your life. I know, because I've told myself that about many different pocket knives. But then, I'm a mutant, and can't say no to another knife. Or at least I have a hard time of it. Addiction is a hard thing to handle. :)

How long do you think you can go with that pretty little nut?

Carl.

The weird thing about a peanut is, it offers as much blade as a barlow in some cases, close to that in others. Not much less blade than a medium Texas jack, and as much as most small serpintine jacks men carried when I was growing up.

This is very true. I've compared it to my U.S.-made Schrade Old Timer 33OT and the cutting edges on both the main blades and the pen blades are almost identical.

How long do you think you can go with that pretty little nut?

No telling. But I haven't really had any urge to 'change horses' since I've been toting this one, and that's pretty rare for me. Maybe I could become one of those mythical one-knife guys we all seem to know. Wait, if I also have a Victorinox Rambler on my keys, do I still fit that description? :D

At any rate, at some point it occurred to me that my dad's dad worked hard with his hands for years and years and years. He was a glass man and carpenter (also a hunter and fisherman). To the best of my knowledge the biggest knives he ever carried were in the 3.5" range. Given that, and the fact that all I do is peck at a computer keyboard all day for a living, I started to feel a bit silly carrying something like a trapper as an EDC.

-- Mark

At any rate, at some point it occurred to me that my dad's dad worked hard with his hands for years and years and years. He was a glass man and carpenter (also a hunter and fisherman). To the best of my knowledge the biggest knives he ever carried were in the 3.5" range. Given that, and the fact that all I do is peck at a computer keyboard all day for a living, I started to feel a bit silly carrying something like a trapper as an EDC.

-- Mark

That's always been an interesting point for me. Some of the hardest working guys I've ever known, have all carried something in the 3 to 3 1/4 inch range. Factory workers, machinists, truck mechanics, and watermen. Not to mention one or two professional poachers in my youth. I don't think those Case Little Finn's had much over a 3 inch blade, and those were the sheath knives. Most of the pocket knives I recall seeing growing up were all those 3 and 1/4 or so serpentine jackknives. They seemed to be the semi-official pocket knife of the 40's and 50's. two inches or so of blade seemed to do for most bus drivers, delivery truck drivers, store clerks, and tradesmen.

Carl.

On the way to work this morning, I took this shot with my phone ...

NutMay12.jpg

The patina on the big blade is actually coming along a little better than it appears here. No so much on the pen blade, just some dark spots. Again, I have done nothing at all to "pre patina" this one -- what you see is what you get. I've also not oiled the blades at all, just kept 'em dry, clean and sharp. This little guy's been my true EDC since Nov. 3, 2010, the day I took it out of the box.

-- Mark

I like that peanut. The patina looks good. Is that a manager on you keychain? I just
got one and love it.

Back