Off Topic The looker

BabaYaga

Stay frosty🤙🏼
Platinum Member
I've been looking and watching and reading and I've come across some good usa made knives for heavy duty work but I wanted to get some advice or help from people who've carried usa made knives and was wondering what the best us made knife would be for construction

I work in aggregates processing, and I respect my knives wayyyy too much to take them with me to the jobsite.

This post is going to end up somewhere in the middle of about ten posts advocating for some kind of Chris Reeve product, and somebody is going to come along and suggest Benchmade and Spyderco. Chances are, you've already heard these answers.

Mine is going to be unique, but boring.

Head over to the auction site and find yourself an old, American-made boxcutter. Maybe by Stanley, or even Klein, if you're feeling fancy. Leave the "nice" knives at home, because I promise that you will eventually drop it off the rafters, onto the concrete.

Large Inkosi, would be my vote as well. Many people like Hinderer; they make an excellent knife, not the best slicers by any means but they are quite stout. I personally don't get along with the flipper tab too well, the angle at which it returns pokes my index finger quite annoyingly but that might just be me.

Can't complain about any of my CRK's, if you want another alternative I'd say Hinderer also.

Still tons of good work knives made in the USA as well, if you don't want to break the bank try to find a good Buck that tickles your fancy.

I work in aggregates processing, and I respect my knives wayyyy too much to take them with me to the jobsite.

This post is going to end up somewhere in the middle of about ten posts advocating for some kind of Chris Reeve product, and somebody is going to come along and suggest Benchmade and Spyderco. Chances are, you've already heard these answers.

Head over to the auction site and find yourself an old, American-made boxcutter. Maybe by Stanley, or even Klein, if you're feeling fancy. Leave the "nice" knives at home, because I promise that you will eventually drop it off the rafters, onto the concrete.
Thanks

I think "construction" is why they make all the disposable blade knives. I wouldn't cut drywall, shingles, etc. with a CRK.
Oh yeah definitely not that but durable yk what I mean

Large Inkosi, would be my vote as well. Many people like Hinderer; they make an excellent knife, not the best slicers by any means but they are quite stout. I personally don't get along with the flipper tab too well, the angle at which it returns pokes my index finger quite annoyingly but that might just be me.
Thanks

Thanks and yeah that is a good thought I didn't even think of that

If you want to be one of those guys that says look how hard I use my $500-1000 dollar knife than by all means buy a Crk. I’ve been in construction my whole life. Id never bring my crk to a jobsite. Milwaukee makes nice folder utility knives. The box stores also started selling chisels that are sharpened on the front edge and one side of the long edge that come in sheaths which are great for general use.

Personally I’ve found that a utility knife and chisel will fill all needs that you would typically use a knife for on a jobsite. If deadset on carrying a folding knife then I’d probably go with a beater in the $50 range.

Because the fact is when working you will most certainly use your pocket knife for job it’s not intended for.

I say large inkosi. I use mine at work all day long. Been a tradesman 40 years.
Let’s see if Dcdavis Dcdavis has an opinion.

Last edited:
I will say I agree with the utility knife guys for the ugly stuff. I always had one in my pouches. The younger the guy is the more likly he is to hurry and just use the tool in hand instead of the correct tool!

Luckily I’m not afflicted with youth!

Back