Off Topic The looker

I've been looking and watching and reading and I've come across some good usa made knives for heavy duty work but I wanted to get some advice or help from people who've carried usa made knives and was wondering what the best us made knife would be for construction
I used a brass bolstered Buck 112 on the farm for a lot of years and it never let me down. I've gone lghtweight and multitool with a few other knives since then, but they aren't US made (SAK, Opinel, Mora, to name a few).

Do you require a folder?

Zieg

Another vote for CRK or Hinderer. And I'll even throw in Microtech.

CyEqMHN.jpg

nPuOPbo.jpg

p8zAP4G.jpg

AQFczJD.jpg

UQec2Ui.jpg

ySLBGuD.jpg

tUshcHl.jpg

9lki2o3.jpg

zZJnC6x.jpg

mli0J8x.jpg

pZDlYs5.jpg

You looking to sell😂
Not my trusty companions. Luckily none of those are that hard to get a hold of, except for the Sebenza 21 now but the 31 or Inkosi will do all the same things. And it can be a pain trying to find Hinderers or Microtechs in an exact blade/color/model configuration you want but if you're not picky they're pretty readily available. That's not to say a really specific configuration is impossible to get, it can just take some patience. Personal configuration is everything to me so I was willing to do without until exactly what I wanted came along.

I like my Buck 110 on my belt and it gets used a lot, but I also have utility knives around. Milwaukee seems to make the best folding utility knives. They also make decent regular folders and at least 1 fixed blade with a plastic sheath similar to a mora companion which is another good option. The old school work knife was the TL-29 still a solid choice, or a Leatherman.

My favorite utility knife is the good old Stanley non retractable knife. But you need a good sheath for it.

view

Last edited:
Another vote for CRK or Hinderer. And I'll even throw in Microtech.

CyEqMHN.jpg

nPuOPbo.jpg

p8zAP4G.jpg

AQFczJD.jpg

UQec2Ui.jpg

ySLBGuD.jpg

tUshcHl.jpg

9lki2o3.jpg

zZJnC6x.jpg

mli0J8x.jpg

pZDlYs5.jpg
Maybe it’s just me but when someone ask for a usa made blade to carry while working in construction, recommending premium knives with premium prices is more of just being a fanboy than being realistic.

Obviously they can do the job but why use a knife for jobs that other tools are specifically made for. Escpecially a very expensive one.

For the first 20 years of my career I was on the tools and never carried a pocket knife, and never needed a pocket knife.

Like I said originally, if you want to be the guy that puts an expensive knife through the ringer. Then go for it. To each their own. But to recommend someone needs that expensive knife in construction or should have one in construction is a little ridiculous imo.

I like my Buck 110 on my belt and it gets used a lot, but I also have utility knives around. Milwaukee seems to make the best folding utility knives. They also make decent regular folders and at least 1 fixed blade with a plastic sheath similar to a mora companion which is another good option. The old school work knife was the TL-29 still a solid choice, or a Leatherman.

My favorite utility knife is the good old Stanley non retractable knife. But you need a good sheath for it. View attachment 2273275

Those are fantastic…I have a few myself. :)

A little off topic-ish…but CRK’s are advertised as hard use knives…same with Hinderers…so why not put it up to the task?

I don’t buy Ryobi drills, I buy Milwaulkee or Hilti. Better tool. Made to be abused. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Maybe it’s just me but when someone ask for a usa made blade to carry while working in construction, recommending premium knives with premium prices is more of just being a fanboy than being realistic.

Obviously they can do the job but why use a knife for jobs that other tools are specifically made for. Escpecially a very expensive one.

For the first 20 years of my career I was on the tools and never carried a pocket knife, and never needed a pocket knife.

Like I said originally, if you want to be the guy that puts an expensive knife through the ringer. Then go for it. To each their own. But to recommend someone needs that expensive knife in construction or should have one in construction is a little ridiculous imo.
Well so far I haven't been faced with any unrealistic expectations using mine. Is it not safe to assume someone coming to a place like this to ask isn't a connoisseur to some degree? Otherwise why would they even bother and not just go to Lowe's and get a five pack of Kobalt utility folders for ten bucks?

What jobs are CRKs and Hinderers specifically made for?

Gents, keep discussion of buying and selling to the Exchange or PM. 'Nuff said.

I don't see anything wrong with using a crk for work. Snap on sells a lot of tools for high dollar that get used heavily.

I'm not saying use your crk as a cheater bar, that is obviously foolish. But actual knife tasks, why not. I actually enjoy getting my money's worth out of my knives. The wear is a thing of beauty.

I don't see anything wrong with using a crk for work. Snap on sells a lot of tools for high dollar that get used heavily.

I'm not saying use your crk as a cheater bar, that is obviously foolish. But actual knife tasks, why not. I actually enjoy getting my money's worth out of my knives. The wear is a thing of beauty.

I agree, Shiny! ;) I know what my CRK can do…and don’t push the limits. I don’t really want to say it…but I’ve never broken a CRK at work yet (knock on wood.)

Well so far I haven't been faced with any unrealistic expectations using mine. Is it not safe to assume someone coming to a place like this to ask isn't a connoisseur to some degree? Otherwise why would they even bother and not just go to Lowe's and get a five pack of Kobalt utility folders for ten bucks?

What jobs are CRKs and Hinderers specifically made for?

A little off topic-ish…but CRK’s are advertised as hard use knives…same with Hinderers…so why not put it up to the task?

I don’t buy Ryobi drills, I buy Milwaulkee or Hilti. Better tool. Made to be abused. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I respect yalls opinion, and I agree crks n hinderers etc are capable tools.

Personally I’ve never needed a pocket knife other than a utility knife during my days in the field. I’m a firm believer in using the right tool for the job. Work smart not harder.

For the record I do carry my hinderers and crks and do use them as knives not pry bars.

If I was back on the tools (which I really miss) Id probably leave my expensive knife in the truck and grab my button lock Milwaukee utility knife. Cause that’s the best tool for the job. Imo

I agree, Shiny! ;) I know what my CRK can do…and don’t push the limits. I don’t really want to say it…but I’ve never broken a CRK at work yet (knock on wood.)
When I take a liking to a knife, like how I have my L31 in MC you better believe that sucker is coming everywhere legally possible with me lol I used it at work today multiple times actually, cut a few zip ties, tape, opened a few things and shaved a nice large bald spot on buddy's leg 🤣 , I told him that it would shave and he said shave my leg, let me see. Now Chewbacca has a bald spot 2 inches long on 1 leg lol

Back