The Marble's USA Thread

Check out the 24 Hour Campfire Forum under a thread "Marble Knife Steel". The post were made in 2012. Probably not hard to find. There were post in that thread by some individuals apparently very knowledgeable on the subject of the history of Marble knives. Much better to read it from the source. The discussion is regarding Marble knives during the last several years during which they were manufactured in the U.S.

Rescued this old beauty from the edge of the grave. Here it is as it came to me, rusted, but with a sound handle, almost all of it's edge intact, and STILL HAVING A TIP:
h81kJcx.jpg

Here it is after some TLC:
y2vHJju.jpg

1QdOz3p.jpg

FwknV1Q.jpg

Thankfully, none of this deep pitting was on the edge (And more came away with a bit more finishing that I did after this, evening out my satin.):
cw4X39f.jpg

It immediately edged out my Western as my favorite firemaking knife. They both cut better than my Bark River, which is itself no slouch, compared to most knives.

I LOVE the way the base of this edge is formed, and I wish more knives did this.

Rescued this old beauty from the edge of the grave. Here it is as it came to me, rusted, but with a sound handle, almost all of it's edge intact, and STILL HAVING A TIP:
h81kJcx.jpg

Here it is after some TLC:
y2vHJju.jpg

1QdOz3p.jpg

FwknV1Q.jpg

Thankfully, none of this deep pitting was on the edge (And more came away with a bit more finishing that I did after this, evening out my satin.):
cw4X39f.jpg

It immediately edged out my Western as my favorite firemaking knife. They both cut better than my Bark River, which is itself no slouch, compared to most knives.

I LOVE the way the base of this edge is formed, and I wish more knives did this.
Beautiful knife, Matt and a great save. I love a good convex edge myself!

The most popular outdoor knife pattern in the U.S. in the two or three decades before WW II. Copied all over the world when the patent ran out. You have a much less common model. Congrats!

Last edited:
After a diligent search through 6 years of past threads in this forum, I was surprised to find that we don't have an all-inclusive thread dedicated to the long history of Marble's USA-made knives. Various things have appeared here and there, but I thought it would be great to get it all in one thread. So here it is - please share your knowledge of Marble's USA history and examples of the fine folding and fixed-blade knives of one of the most legendary knife manufacturers in U.S. history. I hardly claim to be an expert, just an avid student. ;)

I'll start it off with a few historical ads/posters. The first is a well-known ad that outlines the early offerings of the Marble's line-up, including knives and other "Outing Equipment:"

f63155.jpg

The Marble's "Ideal" from the 1908 catalog:

e33841.png

From the 1906 catalog:

d5354a.jpg

(** Please - if you are unsure if a particular Marble's knife was made in the USA or not, verify that elsewhere before posting it here - let's keep this dedicated the USA-made knives only, as the history of this company changed dramatically when US production ceased. Thanks).
I have my Dad's old Woodcraft .. guessing the date is early 50's or earlier .. Marbles logo on one side, other side bare, leather handle with aluminum butt, sheath is plain and original. Much used as his deer knife and still totally usable. Ideas??

Here's a shot of my Dad's Marbles hunting knife. He bought it in Rapid City, SD on the way to his first big hunt Near Gillette, Wyoming back in 1952. The original sheath disintegrated many years ago so I had a new one made. The knife had been badly neglected so I restored it. The only pitting is on the pile side of the knife and luckily not on the edge of the blade. Note the bakelite pommel. I've never seen that on other Marbles hunting knives but then again, I'm no expert. The entire knife is original except for the restoration work I did on the blade. I still use it for hunting.
IMG_1948.JPG

who can help me I have a Marble's Plainsman Buffalo/Buffalo and I cannot figure what year it was made. The spacers do not match any guide I can find. It was made between 1996-2003 who can help. Spacers are Red-Brass-White-Black-White-Brass-Red. Thank you for your help. John

Hi looking at a 2004 2005 fieldcraft fixed blade Mark marbles but no USA stamp on it or if any other kind of stamp on it what do you guys think

I just got this old Ideal which I believe is from 1948. The original owner engraved “LH” on the handle and etched “Hagar 1948” on the ricasso. The handle doesn’t have have any pins and smells like it could be bakelite? The sheath appears consistent in form and manufacturing with Marbles sheaths except there are no markings on the leather or clasp. It appears all original but I’d like to know for sure. Your expert thoughts would be appreciated.
View media item 8986View media item 8983View media item 8982View media item 8984View media item 8985

Hi looking at a 2004 2005 fieldcraft fixed blade Mark marbles but no USA stamp on it or if any other kind of stamp on it what do you guys think
Have you found out anything about the stamp. I have one just like it. It just says Marbles.

Kv4U89

can anyone tell me what type AND year this knife is?
There is only a stamp on one side that says “Marbles Gladstone U.S.A.”

Back