The Martial Artist's Katana

most definitely handling characteristics put these pieces more in the class of machetes than Japanese style swords......There is NO comparison.

Perharps you misunderstood. I was not asking you to point out the differences in the grind. I can see those myself. If you read my post you'll see that I simply asked you to specify your above statement. No need to get all ruffled. I thought this was a discussion forum.

Perharps you misunderstood. I was not asking you to point out the differences in the grind. I can see those myself. If you read my post you'll see that I simply asked you to specify your above statement. No need to get all ruffled. I thought this was a discussion forum.

I'm not ruffled....I'm annoyed that I have to pull out my calipers.;)

Scrapizashi:

17 3/8" blade, OAL 27.25", Handle 9" and some change.
.190" thickness at spine
1.50" Blade width
1 lb 13.2 oz
Cord wrapped handle.

Howard Clark Wakizashi(mine, professionally polished by John DeMesa):

21 1/2" Blade, OAL 29 3/4", Handle 7", there is a tsuba and habaki here, so it throws some of the dimensions out of whack, and there is one handling and balance difference right there, by definition.

.199" at the mune machi, .1820 6" up from that, .202 at the yokote...that changes the balance.
1.171" wide...not even 1 1/4"

POB 4" forward of the mune machi.

Weight:1 lb 13 oz....longer blade, less wide, probably faster, zero edge grind, virtually guaranteed sharper, all of which affects handling.

Jerry builds his stuff to be virtually bomb proof, this sword in the hands of a rank beginner would twist like spaghetti.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Thanks for answering my question. Seems like you really know your stuff. I will have my Scrapizashi in hand beginning of November. I'll do some tameshigiri (aka chopping the shit out of some coconuts) and let y'all know how it goes. ;)

The SYKCO Scrapizashi is a hellofa blade. Don't have experience with others of this type but the Scrapizashi is tough and quick. One great cutter.

One and two handed. Cutting wood, pumpkins, bottles, trees, bushes, watermelon, hanging paper, cans.

It keeps going and going.

One and two handed. Cutting wood, pumpkins, bottles, trees, bushes, watermelon, hanging paper, cans.

It keeps going and going.

Excellent!

You are obviously a top flight cutter....pumpkins, bottles, bushes and watermelon are all targets that only masters of traditional Japanese cutting arts can manage....so much more difficult than the average yellow bamboo.

I look forward to training with you, Bonzai!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Excellent!

You are obviously a top flight cutter....pumpkins, bottles, bushes and watermelon are all targets that only masters of traditional Japanese cutting arts can manage....so much more difficult than the average yellow bamboo.

I look forward to training with you, Bonzai!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Hmmm I would have figured this:

Don't have experience with others of this type.

Would have lead you to know I wasn't a kendoka.

Maybe I need more Kakari-geiko to avoid your trolling posts that try to embarrass.

Maybe you need to focus on:

To hold in esteem human courtesy and honor
and
To associate with others with sincerity

Would have lead you to know I wasn't a kendoka.

Maybe I need more Kakari-geiko to avoid your trolling posts that try to embarrass.

In a thread about the Martial Artist's Katana, you made a post about the Scrapizashi...you did not ask a question...you talked about how great it cut...make no mistake, you embarassed yourself. I thought about letting it dangle, but this one was too rich. My friend Mr. Shepherd probably would have chimed in, and I didn't want him to have all the fun.

Kendo is less of a martial art, and more of a sport, as judo is more of a sport and jujutsu is more of a martial art.

Maybe you need to focus on:

To hold in esteem human courtesy and honor
and
To associate with others with sincerity

You work on your "do", I'll work on mine.;) My Sensei truly wishes I wasn't such an asshole, but he appreciates my commitment to study. Your Google fu is strong!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
not to stick up for STeven because he does not need it but to compare a Busse prouduct which I have great respect for with a real or traditional sword is like comparing an ak 47 with a fine double rifle they both go bang but one is a mass prouduced firearm the other is a fine handcrafted firearm. Same goes with this comparison One is ment to take abuse the other is ment to cut its intended target which is not beer cans

I had an original Ak 47 fom Busse great blade

Last edited:
In a thread about the Martial Artist's Katana, you made a post about the Scrapizashi...you did not ask a question...you talked about how great it cut...make no mistake, you embarassed yourself. I thought about letting it dangle, but this one was too rich. My friend Mr. Shepard probably would have chimed in, and I didn't want him to have all the fun.

Kendo is less of a martial art, and more of a sport, as judo is more of a sport and jujutsu is more of a martial art.

You work on your "do", I'll work on mine.;) My Sensei truly wishes I wasn't such an asshole, but he appreciates my commitment to study. Your Google fu is strong!

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I think you handled it marvelously (besides, you started the thread ;) )

I think some post in a thread without thought of it's topic- or they don't understand the topic.

Personally, I don't see the facination of "cutting" waterbottles and the like. They're a non target, even dropping them will cause them to split or break

I know my Rodent Waki isn't a traditional Japanese sword.
Which is why I bought it.:thumbup:
It suits my style of use and fighting more than a Katana or other traditional sword would.
And it won't break like a "superior" sword would.:)
Cheaper+tougher+suited to me=win.:cool:

I know my Rodent Waki isn't a traditional Japanese sword.
Which is why I bought it.:thumbup:
It suits my style of use and fighting more than a Katana or other traditional sword would.
And it won't break like a "superior" sword would.:)
Cheaper+tougher+suited to me=win.:cool:

style of fighting???

style of fighting???

Well, I am not a swordsman; never claimed to be.
I have developed over the decades what my brother astutely referred to as "a skill in hitting things", whether with fist, open hand, elbows, feet, knees, shins, sticks, bats, batons, machetes, big knives, and swords.
As my fighting style is an all-in sort of thing, I never wanted to concentrate exclusively on one aspect of it; I find it limiting.
For me, the Rodent Waki fits into my style quite nicely, except that I'd prefer the little "horns" on the butt end to not be there; they don't fit into my style.
I was still able to do fine with the Katana, but it didn't "fit" as well with my overall style and way of movement. It felt more like it required it's own way of doing things to be used most effectively.
That isn't for me.
My style of fighting is my own. I have taken what works (for me) and tossed what didn't.
And I don't give a flip for tradition; black belt in TKD and proudly ignorant of all the Korean terms.:D

And I certainly admit that Steven there knows far more than I do about traditional Japanese swords. This thread alone contains far more info on them than I ever bothered to look up.:)

Mr. Garsson, you seem quite confrontational for some reason. The guy was just saying how he likes to cut things with his Scrapizashi.

I most certainly appreciate the beauty and spirit of a handcrafted blade. But I wonder, would a Samurai warrior whose life depended on his blade rather have a sword that would "twist like a noodle" or a blade that was "bombproof," to use your own words. For me the best of both worlds would be a Howard Clark L6 blade, which is both beautiful and almost indestructable. However such a blade is beyond the reach of most martial artists financially.

As a kenjutsuwaka myself (Kurai Kotori Ryu, Denver, CO, first degree blackbelt), I chose the sword that is one tenth the cost and ten times tougher. However this is only my opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own.

Shooting people down like you seem to relish doing on these forums only serves to reveal your own insecurity. :thumbdn:

to compare a Busse prouduct which I have great respect for with a real or traditional sword is like comparing an ak 47 with a fine double rifle they both go bang but one is a mass prouduced firearm the other is a fine handcrafted firearm.

This is a reasonable response. As opposed to trying to bait someone.

It also gives others who may not fully understand the topic at hand another view, instead of attacking them.

Mr. Garsson, you seem quite confrontational for some reason. The guy was just saying how he likes to cut things with his Scrapizashi.

It took a lot of work to put the information this thread started with out there. It was done to be helpful. If the guy wanted to be "just saying how he likes to cut things with his Scrapizashi" he could have done it in another thread, or anywhere in the Busse subforum and it would have been appreciated. Here, it is not.

I most certainly appreciate the beauty and spirit of a handcrafted blade. But I wonder, would a Samurai warrior whose life depended on his blade rather have a sword that would "twist like a noodle" or a blade that was "bombproof," to use your own words. For me the best of both worlds would be a Howard Clark L6 blade, which is both beautiful and almost indestructable. However such a blade is beyond the reach of most martial artists financially.

I have bombproof blades, I have the Howard Clark 1086m....if you blow the cut, it will twist.

As a kenjutsuwaka myself (Kurai Kotori Ryu, Denver, CO, first degree blackbelt), I chose the sword that is one tenth the cost and ten times tougher. However this is only my opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own.

I looked at the website....you practice some form of Ninpo, neh? and not even the Masaaki Hatsumi style, but something "different". If you practice a Japanese Martial Art....you realize that there is the "real" and the "not real". A true martial artist finds a way to afford the proper tool for the job, be it a gi, tabi, montsuki, hakama, jo, tessen or katana. There is no substitution for what is correct. IF you tried to bring the Scrapizashi to an accredited, sanctioned JSA event, you would be turned away.

I have run the cutting floor for accredited and sanctioned JSA tournaments with up to 60 students, including sword inspection, target setting and award presentation...because my Sensei and Senpai trust me to take it seriously, do a good job and not be an embarrassment to my Art, to my Dojo and to myself.

Shooting people down like you seem to relish doing on these forums only serves to reveal your own insecurity. :thumbdn:

What you take for insecurity is lack of patience and pride that what I practice is koryu bujutsu, unsullied by Western thoughts and dilutions. Could you kill me in a contest of swordsmanship? Maybe...because on the battlefield, in life, in business and in love, we all have our good days and our bad days, and a bad day on the field of combat will get you killed. But if I die, I die with pride, and the knowledge that my life was not a waste.

Those that know, KNOW, those that don't, don't care.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

There are no good or bad martial arts. There are only good or bad martial artists.

I take pride in the fact that the martial art that I study is a synthesis of many different styles. We proliferate techniques that are effective and discard those that are not. Period. I believe that many traditional schools cling to ineffective techniques simply because that's what they've been doing for hundred's of years.

Nobody said they wanted to bring a Scrapizashi to your event. We just said its a good short sword, which it is.

I am glad you started this thread, because I think it is good for people to learn about Japanese swords. But your monster ego and blatant disrespect for other people comes through loud and clear in your posts, and I believe that is contrary to the purpose of these forums. For that reason this will be my last post on this thread.

Could I best you in a contest of swordsmanship? We probably will never find out. But let us both continue to train, just in case.

Dave Englander

Back