The Marvelous New Second Gen BK02 Sheath System

All this talk of modular sheaths and shaving sharp edges.
I'm still trying to find a way to apply lipstick to my Campanion!

Wrong - it's a disorder :p
And no, I simply hold it up the light and move it about - I can see the sections that have deformed as they reflect light differently. Passing it over a strop, these sections visibly pull compound as the edge realigns

:rolleyes:
So take it out, strop it, then use it!...End of story Sheesh!

Yes I did. After posting I read the most recent review on that site and the buyer mentions the 2nd Gen sheath so I'm optimistic I'll get one too.

Ah alright - well please let me know what you end up getting when your package arrives! I haven't snagged one yet, so if that place does have 2nd gen in stock, I'll give it a go. I've already ordered a large tek-lok for it, so I'm pretty much committed to the purchase itself - just not a retailer ;)

I just got my gen 2 BK2 from rockynational.com. They have them in stock and at a good price. Check it out.

A lot of the major dealer's were out of BK2 stock just a while ago . And they didn't get new stock until the new sheaths came out. So if you order one now I'm pretty darn sure you'll get one with a new sheath! Or you can call Kabar and get them to sell you one.
And what an awesome sheath it is! :thumbup::D:thumbup:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but here seems like as good a place as any to post this. I called Tomar's KA-BAR to see if they sell the new BK2 sheath separately. They do not. I then called KA-BAR directly. They sell them for $19 +$8 shipping.

Incidentally, when I was speaking to the young woman at KA-BAR I asked if that price was for the 2nd Gen sheath as I'm not interested in paying for another 1st Gen. She then said something to the effect that all of the other sheaths are being redesigned, but were not shipping yet. The new BK2 sheath was all they had. This goes against what Tooj told me in January when he said KA-BAR had no intention of changing the BK7 or BK9 sheaths. Has KA-BAR changed their minds? Was she speaking incorrectly? Did I misunderstand her? Or are we going to see this awesome looking sheath a lot more in the near future?

I could be way off buy I hear that Kabar doesn't have any plains to up grade the BK 7 or 9 sheaths as of right now.
Maybe in another year or whenever their stock of "Camillus like" cloth sheath's run out, they will redesign new one's for the BK7 and 9.

Hopefully it will be sooner then later!!!

Last edited:
All this talk of modular sheaths and shaving sharp edges.
I'm still trying to find a way to apply lipstick to my Campanion!

:DBridgeman, I know that she's purty, but if ya put any lipstick on her, she is guaranteed to kiss the hell out of you. If you play with lipstick, you will get kissed!:eek:

:DBridgeman, I know that she's purty, but if ya put any lipstick on her, she is guaranteed to kiss the hell out of you. If you play with lipstick, you will get kissed!:eek:

It goes back to the blade mods thread...
dawsonbob said:
Go ahead and strip it, polish it, change the scales — heck, put lipstick on it if you want — but those things are cosmetic. The blade is good just the way Ethan designed it.

So I went with it. Now the wife is not only wondering what I'm doing on the internet at 2 a.m., she wants to know where the heck all the lipstick came from!

And it's not getting kissed I'm afraid of, it's getting bitten! :eek:

Yes I did. After posting I read the most recent review on that site and the buyer mentions the 2nd Gen sheath so I'm optimistic I'll get one too.

I ordered from amazon on the 24th and received on the 26th. 2nd gen sheath. I have the same gripes as killa.

I ordered from amazon on the 24th and received on the 26th. 2nd gen sheath. I have the same gripes as killa.

Welcome to Beckerland, daybreak, and to Blade forums, too.

I would really, really like to find out what's causing this problem with the BK-2 sheath. I keep my edge hair popping sharp, but I've never had a problem with it dulling when pulling it out of the sheath. I automatically draw it so only the spine is pressing against the sheath when I draw it: are you guys doing the same?

Welcome to Beckerland, daybreak, and to Blade forums, too.

I would really, really like to find out what's causing this problem with the BK-2 sheath. I keep my edge hair popping sharp, but I've never had a problem with it dulling when pulling it out of the sheath. I automatically draw it so only the spine is pressing against the sheath when I draw it: are you guys doing the same?

Yes - I draw it so that all the pressure is on the spine. Even when I do it very carefully and slowly, it dings the edge in several areas - not the entire length of the blade mind you, just certain sections. Are you sure yours isn't getting dinged in a few areas? Have you tried checking it against a light? I guess you happened to receive one of the better sheaths...

Yes - I draw it so that all the pressure is on the spine. Even when I do it very carefully and slowly, it dings the edge in several areas - not the entire length of the blade mind you, just certain sections. Are you sure yours isn't getting dinged in a few areas? Have you tried checking it against a light? I guess you happened to receive one of the better sheaths...

No, mine remains virtually flawless, or as near flawless as any blade can be, when I pull it out of the sheath. I suspect that if I were careless in how I drew it from the sheath, it might be a different story.

Another thing that occurs to me is that not all sheaths, and not all knives, are created equally. No matter how careful a manufacturer might be, there's always going to be some variation from knife to knife, or sheath to sheath. Different examples of BK-2's can have slightly different grinds, and some sheaths may be slightly looser than others along their lengths.

It could be that the knife/sheath combination, as designed, is just perfect, but, alas, "as designed" and "as produced" are two separate things. Since the blades are ground by hand, there will be some variation. The forming of the kydex sheath, and its riveting, can vary as well.

I would imagine that the greater percentage of the BK-2 knife/sheath combinations fall within tolerances, and have no problems whatsoever. My guess is that a certain small percentage of the combo's shipped are going to result in a slightly too large knife in a slightly too small sheath, resulting in a dulling drag when pulling the knife from the sheath. The opposite can happen, too, resulting in a combination that never drags and never dulls an edge.

I may have one of the combo's that works just as intended — as I suspect most people do.

Perhaps — one day — Toooj will weigh in and give us the definitive answer (probably not before Blade, though).

Just a thought, but I wonder if it could be that you guys are dulling your blades putting them into the sheath?

It may be that you're exceedingly careful while drawing the knife, but not exercising that same care when putting it in.

I dunno... just a thought.

Just a thought, but I wonder if it could be that you guys are dulling your blades putting them into the sheath?

It may be that you're exceedingly careful while drawing the knife, but not exercising that same care when putting it in.

I dunno... just a thought.

No - again, I can't stress enough that this isn't user error! I'm very OCD about keeping my knives shaving sharp and this includes sheathing/unsheathing - all the pressure against the sheath is on the spine side when drawing and sheathing... I do no rotate the blade at the end of the draw either - it is a straight pull until the knife is fully clear of the sheath. With the level of care I put into this as well as the amount of metal I've removed experimenting with different grinds, I'm quite certain that there is definitely something wrong with the sheath on both my BK2 and BK11.

I may have one of the combo's that works just as intended — as I suspect most people do.

I frankly believe it's to the opposite and that this is a much more common issue than has been reported. You and I are significantly in the minority when it comes to edge maintenance: very few people keep their knives more than a "functional" level of sharpness meaning very few would be able to tell that their knives' edges are rolling/getting dinged up in the first place.

Of the people who have responded to the issue when it was raised, the majority attested to the notion that keeping their knives that sharp is silly and impractical... with that in mind, it is really just you and I (so far) that would count as acceptable data were we to try and determine if the sheaths DO ding up the edge.

No - again, I can't stress enough that this isn't user error! I'm very OCD about keeping my knives shaving sharp and this includes sheathing/unsheathing - all the pressure against the sheath is on the spine side when drawing and sheathing... I do no rotate the blade at the end of the draw either - it is a straight pull until the knife is fully clear of the sheath. With the level of care I put into this as well as the amount of metal I've removed experimenting with different grinds, I'm quite certain that there is definitely something wrong with the sheath on both my BK2 and BK11.

I frankly believe it's to the opposite and that this is a much more common issue than has been reported. You and I are significantly in the minority when it comes to edge maintenance: very few people keep their knives more than a "functional" level of sharpness meaning very few would be able to tell that their knives' edges are rolling/getting dinged up in the first place.

Of the people who have responded to the issue when it was raised, the majority attested to the notion that keeping their knives that sharp is silly and impractical... with that in mind, it is really just you and I (so far) that would count as acceptable data were we to try and determine if the sheaths DO ding up the edge.

As I said, killa, it was just a thought. Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know what is causing this.

I do keep my blades sharp (at least hair popping sharp), yet I haven't had any problems. I'd like to have some idea of why some of you do, yet others don't.

Curious.

Back