The Mini WWII Project: Or How I Hurt My Back and Learned to Love Featherweight Knives Again

Steely_Gunz

Got the Khukuri fevah
The Universe is funny. Not exactly Ha-ha funny, but it loves to make you question coincidence. I'm going to be 38 on Sunday. My wife turned 38 yesterday. Generally, I spend equal time gloating at how "old" she and telling her how I find "older" women attractive for 6 days. Well last week, the good ol' Universe thought it would be funny to put me in my place.

I was at the gym, trying to stave off weakness and old age. I was using a hack squat rack with about 400lbs on it For those unaware of what a hack squat rack is (and I didn't what it was called until I looked at the sticker on the machine:p), it's basically a sled on some rails that lets you do free weight squats at about a 15 degree angle with little safety notches where you can lock up the rack if you can't complete a rep...keeps you from smooshing yourself. Good for going to the gym at 4am with the intention of not seeing another living soul.

Anyway, long story short (man, I use that term a lot and never follow through), as I was just coming up from a rep my phone slips out of my shorts pocket and falls pulling the ear buds out my ears and causing me to instinctively shift my weight just enough to the left that the weight shifted from one shoulder to my other and left me with a slight twinge in my back. No big deal. I finished my work out and went home. Easy peasy.

Then I woke up the next morning and my left toes and right knee down were not quite numb but certainly felt quasi "asleep". Don't worry. I'm fine. No permanent damage, but my chiropractor has determined that my two bottom vertebrae are mashing on a nerve and not bending. Nothing $1500 worth of adjusting twice a week can't fix, and I am already feeling better.

Here's the kicker, though, anything in my right or left pockets pushes on my hip flexors just enough to aggravate my legs. Anything hanging on my belt more than just a couple ounces bothers my back. I've been told to make friends with this for several weeks. So, no folding knives clipped to my pockets. Pocket pistols in my jacket only. I needed a light cutting tool for work that would ride on my belt and come in under 10oz.

The Universe tak'ith but it also giv'ith. I figured a sub 4" blade and lightweight mass would do just fine. When I contacted Yangdu about procuring such a creature (remember, the last pic of me I posted had a 32oz Seax hanging off my shoulder), she said she had a blem knife that fit the bill. I had no idea what she was sending but, I always trust her judgement. She's batting 1000 with my needs.

What arrived today was one of the Mini WWII's that you can see offered in another thread. No markings on the blade short of the very WWII-like Sword of Shiva, but it FEELS like a Kumar to me. Despite being a fixed blade belt knife, it's actually shorter than the 4" blade folder I carry and just as light. That's saying something too as my EDC folder is made out of titanium and carbon fiber. It rides well in its sheath and is quite sharp.

Here's where I am going to ask you all for some input to see if you feel I should give this a go or not. I really like the knife in every way. Perfect for carry, use, etc. However like the Biltons I have had in the past the back of the bell just hits my hand a little weird. Not uncomfortable, but I have this idea that since the bell is all wood with no brass butt plate or keeper (the mini WWII has an epoxied tang). What if I sanded the back of the bell down nearly flush with the handle and kept the other part of the bell for my fingers to lock into. I don't see how it would hurt anything on the knife from a structural standpoint.

Actually, I got this idea from a design I doodled out but never sent over to Yangdu I called the Bootkri. It was designed to be a wide 3" long blade of thin stock with a slightly curved grip and no flair at the bell. Just a gentle sweep. Oh, and the cho was going to be cut as a functional bottle opener:) It was meant to be a lightweight fighter or good-enough utility knife that could hang out in your clodhoppers. Kinda like a 'bit but not as heavily built and with no ring. I even thought about going chiruwa with no scale material that could be wrapped any number of ways and kept super slim

Anyway, what do you guys think? Mod it out or live with it? I'm still going to make a leather sheath for it. I like the one that came with it, but my brother in law has asked me to make one for his camp knife, so I figure I might as well dabble while I work on his.

I'll snap a few pics if I start modding it. Thoughts and ideas are always welcomed:)

Huge Thank You going out to Yangdu for finding me just was I was needing:)

I vote go for it, I think I picture in my infinitely small mind what you have in mind and it should work fine.
Make it your own and make it work for your needs.
If it's a complete failure I'm pretty sure you could get another test subject or put a new handle on and start over.

Do post some pictures. I ain't learned one thing today, so this could be the thing.

Wait 400#'s? I recall years ago we had like a universal gym for a bit, had one of them bench press setups where you lay on your back and push the weight up. Something I excelled at in High School. Yup little known fact, I graduated too. Wasn't no Suma come around laters though or whatever they called em.
Anyhow I got myself on my back and give her a push, told my son to lighten it up a bit, it was too much.
I embarrassed to say he hadn't put the pin in yet so I weren't even pushing no weight at all.

Vitamins, maybe I need vitamins.

I have never posted here, but this sounds like a simple mod that would fit your needs nicely--I have a little guy that is going to get the same The best mod for you though would be to ditch Hack Squats..... I hurt my knee on one nearly 30 years ago, and it still hurts when it rains. I swapped out lower body weights for yoga 18 years ago, and that has been awesome for healing the physical labor I did as a young man to pay for college. Find some ashtanga or power yoga and it will build strength, and your wife might even want to go with you.

Dude sorry to hear about the back, as a manual laborer with a bad back all I can recommend is to keep yourself active, work on core strength daily and stay limber.
as for the handle modifications
I have sanded the back of the bell off of all of my heavy use HI khuks. On the more ornate ones I just round off the back, it doesn't detract from the styling at all IMO and it reduces blisters on my hand. On my Villager khuks I turn new handles that have finger grooves on the front only leaving the back of the handle smooth. I do not have delicate hands, but the sharp edges on the traditional handles are no bueno even after light use IMO, I only leave it be on display pieces and safe queens.

Thanks for all the comments guys:)
I'll take a couple shots of it tonight as is and how it turns out. I'm not sure if I'll start on it this week or wait until I get back into town.

I dunno. I may just go wild on it tomorrow:D

Go for it Steely. Hey i just noticed one of the WWII's on a DOTD? Its a blem exactly like you described. WTH? I was just thinking about sending EMS for it and the T-shirt but put it on hold. I figure that Kumar made it rather than an apprentice so it must be special.
As far as them Hack squats I hear ya. You cant turn anything sideways when your doing them. If the seat incline is adjustable like the one I use then you can raise it more upright. That puts much of the compresive forces on your tailbone or butt instead of your lower spine (not professional advice btw). I put three of them largest weights on each side but if I lay the bench seat down like most people do I cant even do two per side without feeling compression on my spine. Careful man! My back usually will warn me (not always tho) when im about to screw it up so Ive learned to listen intently.

Last edited:
The Universe is funny. Not exactly Ha-ha funny, but it loves to make you question coincidence. I'm going to be 38 on Sunday. My wife turned 38 yesterday. Generally, I spend equal time gloating at how "old" she and telling her how I find "older" women attractive for 6 days. Well last week, the good ol' Universe thought it would be funny to put me in my place.

I was at the gym, trying to stave off weakness and old age. I was using a hack squat rack with about 400lbs on it For those unaware of what a hack squat rack is (and I didn't what it was called until I looked at the sticker on the machine:p), it's basically a sled on some rails that lets you do free weight squats at about a 15 degree angle with little safety notches where you can lock up the rack if you can't complete a rep...keeps you from smooshing yourself. Good for going to the gym at 4am with the intention of not seeing another living soul.

Anyway, long story short (man, I use that term a lot and never follow through), as I was just coming up from a rep my phone slips out of my shorts pocket and falls pulling the ear buds out my ears and causing me to instinctively shift my weight just enough to the left that the weight shifted from one shoulder to my other and left me with a slight twinge in my back. No big deal. I finished my work out and went home. Easy peasy.

Then I woke up the next morning and my left toes and right knee down were not quite numb but certainly felt quasi "asleep". Don't worry. I'm fine. No permanent damage, but my chiropractor has determined that my two bottom vertebrae are mashing on a nerve and not bending. Nothing $1500 worth of adjusting twice a week can't fix, and I am already feeling better.

Here's the kicker, though, anything in my right or left pockets pushes on my hip flexors just enough to aggravate my legs. Anything hanging on my belt more than just a couple ounces bothers my back. I've been told to make friends with this for several weeks. So, no folding knives clipped to my pockets. Pocket pistols in my jacket only. I needed a light cutting tool for work that would ride on my belt and come in under 10oz.

The Universe tak'ith but it also giv'ith. I figured a sub 4" blade and lightweight mass would do just fine. When I contacted Yangdu about procuring such a creature (remember, the last pic of me I posted had a 32oz Seax hanging off my shoulder), she said she had a blem knife that fit the bill. I had no idea what she was sending but, I always trust her judgement. She's batting 1000 with my needs.

What arrived today was one of the Mini WWII's that you can see offered in another thread. No markings on the blade short of the very WWII-like Sword of Shiva, but it FEELS like a Kumar to me. Despite being a fixed blade belt knife, it's actually shorter than the 4" blade folder I carry and just as light. That's saying something too as my EDC folder is made out of titanium and carbon fiber. It rides well in its sheath and is quite sharp.

Here's where I am going to ask you all for some input to see if you feel I should give this a go or not. I really like the knife in every way. Perfect for carry, use, etc. However like the Biltons I have had in the past the back of the bell just hits my hand a little weird. Not uncomfortable, but I have this idea that since the bell is all wood with no brass butt plate or keeper (the mini WWII has an epoxied tang). What if I sanded the back of the bell down nearly flush with the handle and kept the other part of the bell for my fingers to lock into. I don't see how it would hurt anything on the knife from a structural standpoint.

Actually, I got this idea from a design I doodled out but never sent over to Yangdu I called the Bootkri. It was designed to be a wide 3" long blade of thin stock with a slightly curved grip and no flair at the bell. Just a gentle sweep. Oh, and the cho was going to be cut as a functional bottle opener:) It was meant to be a lightweight fighter or good-enough utility knife that could hang out in your clodhoppers. Kinda like a 'bit but not as heavily built and with no ring. I even thought about going chiruwa with no scale material that could be wrapped any number of ways and kept super slim

Anyway, what do you guys think? Mod it out or live with it? I'm still going to make a leather sheath for it. I like the one that came with it, but my brother in law has asked me to make one for his camp knife, so I figure I might as well dabble while I work on his.

I'll snap a few pics if I start modding it. Thoughts and ideas are always welcomed:)

Huge Thank You going out to Yangdu for finding me just was I was needing:)

Mod it out! What knife is more awesome than one made for you?

Sounds like you’re ready to evolve to the Quark knife.

wood-slats_jpg_project-body.jpg

For real though Steely Gunz there’s nothing young or manly about injuring yourself. Start of with getting moving again slowly and then heavy weights come later.

We need you here to mod us like you know you will mod that knife.

Sounds like you want a birdshead grip. A tried and true design. Make it happen.

...and get the earbuds out of your ears when you need to be paying attention. (which is most of the time.)

How long does it take your new EDC to chop through a 2x4?
;)

I have a small Chainpuri that would poke me in the fatty part of my palm close to my wrist. I took a file and sand paper and rounded it off, gripping it over and over again until it was comfortable to hold and swing. When I was done the point was gone but the appearance barely changed at all. Most people wouldn't notice it. In fact it hangs on the wall next to my front door and I had forgotten I had done anything to it until I read this post. Mod it up.

That thing is pretty cool Lapedog! Guess that would be considered a frame lock eh? I used to have a gerber framelock that was open like that but my keys always got stuck inside so I made some liners to close it off. Im gettin me one of those Quarks! Move over P38.

Thanks guys:)

I modded the little WWII to a birdshead as Howard said. I need to finish it out, but my Wednesday went something like this:
Dropped off the kiddo
Got a haircut
Chopped and sanded the WWII
Phone rings: my uncle and business partner, "what are you doing today?"
Me: I dunno...what AM I doing today?
Uncle: How do you feel like driving to Cleveland? (6 hours one way).

Long story short: 24 hours, round trip and overnight stay in northern Ohio, happy customer, irritated back from the drive, AND a useful grip shape on the Mini WWII.

The mod works. It's much more comfortable in hand. I need to sand it flush and finish out the uglies.

That thing is pretty cool Lapedog! Guess that would be considered a frame lock eh? I used to have a gerber framelock that was open like that but my keys always got stuck inside so I made some liners to close it off. Im gettin me one of those Quarks! Move over P38.

Yeah I thought it was a cool alternative to some of the very expensive other ones floating around. Check out the screwpop too for another cool knife of that type.

Sorry for derailing the thread which should really be about Steely Gunz taking better care of himself at the gym!

Pictures didn't work for me but I'm glad you got a haircut, it was about time.

I've been meaning to tell you, I think your Bootkri is an ingenious idea.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to tell you I think your Bootkri is an ingenious idea.
Thank ya:) I've actually started carving one out of wood. Once upon a time, sending a wood model over to the kamis resulted in the most true to form production prototype. I remember our late great friend Yvsa working diligently to make what would become the Cherokee Rose out of wood. If I remember correctly, Uncle Bill teased him and said the model got lost or damaged or some such. Yvsa got a little upset about that, but it was in good fun:D

I'm not talented in the wooden arts, but I hope to have something functional to show in a few weeks as time allows. If y'all like it, I'll send it Yangdu's way. See what the kamis do with it. Might come back to spec. Might come in improved at 22" and 6lbs:D

I got the handle roughed in on the mini WWII, but I haven't had time to make the pocket sheath for it. The birdshead grip really makes a huge difference.

Question for the keepers of the archives: Didnt we have an xray kicking around of how deeply set the small partial tangs are? They are plenty stout, but I'm just curious.

Back