The Missing Pages in the HI Catalog

"Katunje" is a place in Western Nepal. It is also the name of a neighborhood in Bhaktapur, the old city that adjoins Kathmandu - I think Aunty Yangdu has family there (Pala?)

Also, didn't Aunty Yangdu pick up this khukuri when she was back in Nepal following Uncle Bill's passing away? I remember reading a post about how she was in her family home to have pujas done following her husband's passing away and came across this khukuri. It just called out to her and she decided that since Uncle Bill had a model named after him, she would have this model as her own personal one - something along these lines ...

Also, didn't Aunty Yangdu pick up this khukuri when she was back in Nepal following Uncle Bill's passing away? I remember reading a post about how she was in her family home to have pujas done following her husband's passing away and came across this khukuri. It just called out to her and she decided that since Uncle Bill had a model named after him, she would have this model as her own personal one - something along these lines ...

I've been trying to find a post like that, or some, similar info, but no luck. I was lucky enough to find it mentioned! But, I'll start incorporating what you've told me into the draft.

By the way, what is "having your pujas done"?

Ironically, I just found some of this out online (along with some info about Bhaktapur) since sta94's post. Wikipedia proves its worth, again. Thanks, though.

How does this sound?:

Katunje is a neighborhood in Bhaktapur, the ancient city that adjoins Kathmandu. Bhaktapur is Nepal's "City of Culture," and many visitors do not feel that a trip to Nepal is complete without seeing it. Yangdu has family in Katunje, and while visiting after Uncle Bill died, she found this kukri design, which somehow spoke to her. Since the "Uncle Bill Especial" had been in our catalog for so long, she decided that this would be her design, and now we offer it to you.

Okay, I've re-edited the text, but I've reach my apparent limit of 10 pictures to a post. Let me know what you think.

You are doing a fine job, Nicholas!
I wouldnt add pricing....let Yangdu manage that.

May i offer the following edit?

Katunje is a neighborhood in Bhaktapur, the ancient city that adjoins Kathmandu. Bhaktapur is Nepal's "City of Culture," and many visitors do not feel that a trip to Nepal is complete without seeing it. Yangdu has family in Katunje. While visiting Nepal in 2005 to take care of her husbands funeral matters, she found this kukri, lying totally unnoticed in one of BirGorkha's shops, and was struck by its graceful form, and she decided that since the "Uncle Bill Especiale" had been in our catalog for so long, this would be her design. She named it, "Katunje," and now we offer it to you.

Okay, I've put in MOST of that, and I think I'll lay off of this for a while. I had hoped that more people would chime in for this project, but with only the help of Karda and sta94, I think that this is a bit too tiring.

Thanks, guys.

Okay, I've put in MOST of that, and I think I'll lay off of this for a while. I had hoped that more people would chime in for this project, but with only the help of Karda and sta94, I think that this is a bit too tiring.

Thanks, guys.
I know that feeling. :D
You are most welcome.

I would help, but I've only been a member for a month or so. I don't know all these stories, but they're very interesting to read.

Thank you for what you've done. It answers a lot of questions about some interesting knives, some of which I'm seeing for the first time.

You're welcome. I found it to be, "informative" myself, since not only were these stories new, but I hadn't even heard of some of the products, until looking them up on old posts!

For that reason, though, this was rather exhausting. I'll need to take a break for a day or two,......or three......

I'll need to take a break for a day or two,......or three......

Huge undertaking you have taken on so don't burn yourself out. I hope some more folk will help as time goes on!

Your comments on the Bhariab are dear to my heart and are better than what I had been able to describe in my posts about this awesome blade.

So now the bad news re the Bhairab (my emphasis in bold) :

I have one more Bhairab Khukuri for sale in stock. From now shop and Kamis will not make this model. Sorry

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6379785&postcount=15

I read Yangdu's post and immediately emailed and thanks to her kindness I was able to purchase it and am glad I did as it is an amazing combination of a work of art and a very sweet handling blade.

I believe there were two batches of Bhairabs, both made by Vim Kami, the first 2007 release being 75ounces and the second being lighter, mine is 64ounces and others sold through DOTD during 2008 also been in that approx. 4 pound/64ounce weight.

And a "correction" regarding the Bonecutter:

Yangdu write recently and asked if I'd tell the HI forum about the Murali Bonecutters coming soon for sale.

Murali is here and working with Bura. When he arrived, he thought he could challenge the good Sgt Khadka and make his own rendition of the Bonecutter. He made a batch. This is not going to happen in the future, as Sgt Khadka supports his son with this specialty, and Yangdu wants this to be his special area. His work is well loved by wood hawkers and collectors. But so is Murali's, once and still considered a Star in the lineup. I remember the old timers talking about Murali when you couldn't get a Murali blade, and had to look for Kesar. If you value Murali, or just want a good khuk, you might look at the one-time issue Bonecutters coming soon. Yangdu said they are not as fine as the Sgt's, which he's been doing regularly and with some practise, but they are decent blades ...

I know there are a lot of fans of the 'bonecutter' style and hope this pleases them.

munk

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644925

So actually there are two Kami's who have made Boncutters.

Hope this is of some small assistance. Good wishes on the updates.:thumbup:

If the Bhairab is out, then it can simply be filed under "discontinued models" when the page gets overhauled. I suspected as much, anyway.

And I know about the Murali Bonecutters; it was spotting that thread that alerted me to the model's existence in the first place!:eek:
And it was precisely because Yangdu said that Murali wouldn't be making any more of those models, that I emphasized Sgt. Khadka's primacy; I was trying to avoid confusing anybody....or disrespecting Sgt. Khadka's hard work.:foot:

Last edited:
The HI ginuntings and Indonesian swords are two more rarities... unless someone mentioned 'em and I missed it.

Glad I got a never to be made Murali Bonecutter. Could go up in value :)

Yeah, what was up with the Murali bonecutters? Thought only Sgt. Khadka made them. I noticed the cho on Murali's was a little different when I got it.

Back