The Model #1's

I'm a big fan of drop points but, you're making clip points pretty damn attractive.

If it were me I wouldn't have three number one models of different blade shapes, I think it starts becoming a bit confusing. For example I think a model #1 should be drop point only, model #2 should be for clip point only, and #3 should be for warn cliff only and so on. You could designate a second number behind the first with a dash to designate blade length, for example #1-4 would be drop point 4" blade length like Randall does. What I do is call them what they are, if it's a drop point blade I call model drop point 4" blade then state the thickness of the stock for example 5/32" or 3/16" thick CPM154 or S35VN. I also never considered numbering my blades, I know some makers do but my opinion is that it takes away from aesthetics of a nice looking knife. Just a smile clean name or a name with a small makers mark is what I prefer. This is just my opinion though.

I thought a lot about that and considered making each a separate model. I think things might make more sense with these as the thread goes along.

Simplicity was actually the goal. One Model, three blade options, right or left hand sheath, that's it. With the limited options and identical dimensions I could do small batches more efficiently and keep the price down. My goal with this design was to be able to offer a stacked leather knife for an affordable price, and having at least a few different blade options.

I'd eventually like to get more organized and focus on three things- The Model #1's, custom orders/requests, and oddball designs that pop up in my head. Time is never my friend and this organization will help my time management.

It might not really make sense but the idea behind the three blades in one model is actually less is more lol.

My thought for myself was to make things easier was to have a model be by blade design. I have templates for drop point hunters in 1/2" increments between 3" and 6" long and some in between. I think I have 7 D.P. Patterns I consider all one model, drop point hunter. And then I have several clip point, up swept, modified clip point templates also. However for myself having 2 main models that I routinely make being drop points and clip points with the only variable being blade length keeps things simple for me. This is just my opinion for what it's worth.

Good point, Scott. We can always adjust, give it a name or number them one through three. You've got a good system worked out there, thanks for the advice, it's worth it's weight in gold.

I'll be getting these ground out this week. I'll post a thread with all the details, pictures, and prices when these are finished.

I'm doing one of each on this first run, the Drop point is still available if anyone is interested. If you want early Dibs on it, let me know.

ive got a piece of amboyna burl coming from Ben at Greenberg Woods that I'm considering using for spacer material on these, should be interesting.

I like the idea of a fixed blade Wharncliffe. Workin' on cars and in any kind of industry as a mechanic a Wharncliffe blade is indispensable as a pattern, the flat edge is easy to sharpen in the field and the flat edge is great for scrapig, shaving and I use the flat edge for leveling a lot of times. When you have to fill in divots and pits in flange faces so you can get a good seal with as little as a cork or paper gasket. The point is great for cutting out the intricate shapes necessary for a manifold gasket or any complex gasket shape.

When I was a kid I remember the Old Man teachin' me to cut gaskets wit a ball peen hammer and a commercial hacksaw blade he'd ground into a little wharncliffe fixed blade. He used the tip like a pencil to trace the bolt holes and cutouts on the gasket material, he'd cut a gasket as good if not better than a factory stamped gasket. His always fit. ;)

Wharncliffe Drop and Clip

Available in any handle material you want, as long as it's stacked leather:D

Just like Ford, ...any color as long as it's black. :D Lookin' good, I must be the only one who loves a wharncliffe? Really John lookin' forward to the WIP pics, stacked leather will look knice. Stacked leather alternating with what?

Wharncliffe is my favorite blade Ted, my GEC #47 in green micarta is always with me.

I've honestly been trying to draw a full tang wharncliffe for years and could never get one mocked up that felt right. There was always something off that I couldn't figure out. Anyways, when I started working on this model, I kind of smacked myself in the forehead and said "here's your wharncliffe dummy, all it needed was a guard". I don't know if it's gonna work out as well as I think, but I'm looking forward to it.

As far as spacers go I'm gonna try to keep these simple, mostly stacked leather, a wood spacer up front, and I'm looking into some paperstone for a spacer against the bronze end plate. I think I can keep a simple layout that will look really nice but still feel like a worker.

Back