The Most Incredible Knife Sharpener I Have Ever Used

Oh yeah, those paper wheels can be terrible. I'm not saying it isn't possible to get good results with something like that, but anything that is spinning screaming fast is going to burn your edge a little.

Rather than duplicate my thoughts this was my response to a burned edge argument over on USN a while back:

It wouldn't surprise me if many (most?) custom makers who sharpen a lot of knives dry occasionally have areas of at least slightly burned edges and don't know it.

It's simple. If you take two identical knives in an alloy like S30V and grind one edge dry (be a little bit sloppy with your pressure, feed rate and belt sharpness, you're looking for a worst case but potentially plausible version of your normal process) and grind the other edge in slow and wet, then sit down with both and whittle some wood for a little while then look at the edge under light and magnification. When I did this the difference was very clear and unambiguous. Obviously the angle has to be closely controlled, not just eyeballed, for a meaningful comparison and a reasonable angle (obtuse edges don't burn as badly). If a maker hasn't done this simple thing their opinion on the subject really isn't very informed. I've done it and I changed my process because of it and I'll bet I sharpen more knives in a year than most folks here.

I just did a little bit of math looking at a theoretical blade of these dimensions:
FFG, .150" at spine, 4 DPS primary grind angle, 15/16th blade height, .025 BTE, sharpened 18 DPS

The sectional area is .0786877

The sectional area of the edge .005 back from the edge is only .000008123.

That gives a mass ratio of the blade to .005 of the edge of 9687:1. That's a lot of orders of magnitude difference. If you were to instantaneously raise that .005 of edge area by 1000F then let it equalize into the blade it would raise the temperature of the entire section by only 1/10th of a degree.

In practice it isn't instantaneous but this illustrates why making judgments about the temperature of some very small area that is some distance away from your finger tips based on the temperature your fingers feel isn't very accurate.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or snarky here. Some people manufacture knives that are expected to have very good edge retention out of the box and others may make knives where it really isn't that big of a deal so long it's just a few thou near the edge that is affected and it still works reasonably well. There are all kinds, and that's great. But I wouldn't dismiss something that is so easily verified just because your own experience hasn't shown it to you.

All of that said, S30V is not rocket science to sharpen on powered equipment and get it truly sharp with a quality edge. It is simply not a big deal. Unless you're burning the edge trying to sharpen it. Which people do. Then you can get this exact situation.

Good to know. Will have to look at the issue of heat closely.
Possibly a dunk in water after each pass ?

I don’t know. The opening post sounds very sales pitchy to me. I’ll stay with hand sharpening thanks.

I don't make the sharpener and I don't sell them and I am not connected to them in any way. Just gave my thoughts after using the AMK-75 as compared to other ways I have sharpened knives for the last 30+ years. I am not a professional knife sharpener either.

R.E: I don't know about what you said, so let's just have Nathan be the judge on such issues as someone potentially hawking their wares on his subforum!

Question to AGH: I'm a stickler for very pointy tip knives to the degree of this being a sick obsession about having a tweezer like point at the end of my knives, or else!!! That said, I've noticed that some of the knives you have posted have a blunt / rounded tips which looks like from use and as such. Do you think that this sharpening system will be able to remedy and fix the tip issues? If so, would like to see the end results :)

Looking at the rodent 6 the tip feels pretty good for my use but someone with more experience sharpening on a belt may do a better job with the tip. Probably following the curve to the tip is the answer for a very pointy tip. It may be easier with a smaller and thinner knife. The rodent 6 is sharp to the end of the tip but does not seem overly thin if needed for prying.
Going to try a smaller, pointier and thinner knife soon.

I'm actually hoping for a Black Friday deal on this sharpener. I really liked my Wicked Edge Pro Pack II, but it took forever to sharpen large knives. Ruining the HT with a powered sharpener is certainly a concern, but with using relatively low speed on a 1x30 belt my hunch is that I should be just fine as long as I keep the knife moving.

I don’t know. The opening post sounds very sales pitchy to me. I’ll stay with hand sharpening thanks.
Please do a little research before posting something like this; he is a respected sheath maker here on BF that appears to be trying to share some valuable experience. It is of course fine if you are not interested in a powered sharpener, but accusations like this are uncalled for.

R.E: I don't know about what you said, so let's just have Nathan be the judge on such issues as someone potentially hawking their wares on his subforum!

Question to AGH: I'm a stickler for very pointy tip knives to the degree of this being a sick obsession about having a tweezer like point at the end of my knives, or else!!! That said, I've noticed that some of the knives you have posted have a blunt / rounded tips which looks like from use and as such. Do you think that this sharpening system will be able to remedy and fix the tip issues? If so, would like to see the end results :)

I’m not an expert sharpener, especially with powered belt systems. I’ve read that how one ends a pass on the belt, with the tip, can have a significant effect on it. From what I understand, running the tip off of the belt, as opposed to lifting it off mid belt, can cause the tip to be more rounded.

I’m sure there are folks that can explain this much better than I, and if I’m completely off base, please make corrections. Mike

Does this incredible knife sharpener have to be a machine / apparatus or can it also be a person? If a person, I would say that Josh at Razor Edge Knives does an incredible job which makes him an incredible knife sharpener. Of course there are also other esteemed knife sharpeners who frequent this subforum who also know what the heck they're doing. Last but not least, the most preeminent CPK knife sharpener is none other than Nathan himself :)

Rather than duplicate my thoughts this was my response to a burned edge argument over on USN a while back:

Perfect response. I'm sure I sharpen nowhere near what some of the professional sharpeners do here, but at our brick and mortar facility I average about a dozen blades a week for customers, and so get a lot of feedback on top of my personal usage. Not having your clout though, I normally refrain from commenting about this particular phenomenon online. I'm glad you did express a (very informed) opinion.

I'm actually hoping for a Black Friday deal on this sharpener. I really liked my Wicked Edge Pro Pack II, but it took forever to sharpen large knives. Ruining the HT with a powered sharpener is certainly a concern, but with using relatively low speed on a 1x30 belt my hunch is that I should be just fine as long as I keep the knife moving.

Please do a little research before posting something like this; he is a respected sheath maker here on BF that appears to be trying to share some valuable experience. It is of course fine if you are not interested in a powered sharpener, but accusations like this are uncalled for.

Agree. I'm glad AGH posted this here.

Did not expect it to be that much. Think I'll stick to my DMT's.

I suppose that if you sharpen knives for a living, it way be worth it, but I have sharpened my knives by hand all my life. If I want a mirror edge, which I don't like, I have hard Arkansas stones that I haven't used for 20 + years. I guess that I am a heathen. If I can shave hair on my arm, it's sharp enough. To each his own.

I suppose that if you sharpen knives for a living, it way be worth it, but I have sharpened my knives by hand all my life. If I want a mirror edge, which I don't like, I have hard Arkansas stones that I haven't used for 20 + years. I guess that I am a heathen. If I can shave hair on my arm, it's sharp enough. To each his own.
I'm with you brother. I use an old wet rock, medium side for the edge. The fine side is for knocking the burr off. Been doing it that way since Dad showed me how. (that was 53 years ago) Then I go to my strop. That's my hillbilly-redneck, WV edge. I don't need an edge that'll shave the goobers off a gnat.

I have tried the work sharp and did not like it. I could not get a consistent angle with the guides. The AMK-75 is a completely different system. The AMK-75 makes it easy to get a

How slow can you run it? I have 2 sanders 1 x 30. We keep a leather strop on the 1. This is slightly different.

Uncle M speaks truths. It can be very precarious sharpening with a power grinder. Wetting the belt makes a big difference. We run our machines slow and belts wet for sharpening. I can sip my beer twice before the belt makes a revolution

Hi Mark. What type of machine do you use to get those slow speeds?

How slow can you run it? I have 2 sanders 1 x 30. We keep a leather strop on the 1. This is slightly different.

I watched the video and around the 1 minute mark, the manufacturer states that the range is between about 1000 - 3500 RPM which I think is way too fast even at the lowest range.

This now gives me Nathan an idea: how about you whip up a guided belt sanding sharpener? Honestly, I You don't think that it will be difficult for you to produce a kick-ass one at all, just to have you make something else, other than erotic lawn mowers!

I have 3 master electricians and 1 engineer in the family. But none are knife people. What type of VFD is available that could be used to run very slowly on a 1 x 30 set up? Any leads? I will build 1 or 2 or 3.... ;)

I am not familiar with that industry, but surely someone here is?

seems like overkill

You have plenty enough spare parts and you can do it. Here's a hint for a V low RPM type set up:

maxresdefault.jpg

:D

Back