The (New and Improved) old school Schrade thread

Ok I'll let you guys stop killing yourselves over this..
It's a black rubber inlay but the difference you all missed is the shield, although Codger came closest with "Soft Grip" which is imprinted on the shield.
Whats he win? Nuthin. Well maybe a roll of duct tape and a 104.
:D
TTYL
Larry

I just received this old Schrade jack knife. Wood handles, 3 1/2" closed, both blades are marked Schrade CUT CO. Walden N.Y., no other marking or model number. The blades snap like a bear trap:

File0001WinCE.jpg

Nice jack Redshanks. I haven't taken the plunge into the Cut Co's yet, just started picking up a few of the Walden tangs of the OT and UH lines.

Larry, I prefer the green Mil-spec duct tape. That stuff will pull the paint off a car!

Codger
(I knew I should have kept the 25OT)

Cool, Larry! I did not know Craftsman offered those Frontiers. Wish I could find a real 'Craftsman' knife collector who knew all the cross reference numbers and who made what.

Nice knives all have posted since my last visit to this thread. Oh, Glenn made a comment about my knives; thanks. Just a knife is no longer enough for me to collect. I want old ads, original box and paperwork, any factory 'giveaway' that might have commemorated the issue of the knife. I want history. A hunting knife: I wanna know what firearm/caliber was in fashion back when it was made. Does all of this make the knife more 'valuable' (monetarily)? I think so. But more interesting, I am sure.

Here's an example in the pic. I've long collected texas toothpicks, no surprise there, and I started many, many years ago with what I could afford, namely the Imperial/Hammer/jackmaster issues-- tin shell ones. But this little hardware store counter cardboard stand really makes a few of these old ones stand out, I think. At least to me. It's dated 1948. I have enough 5 inch fishing knives to fill it out, but I want them all like those shown: Mint condition.

Phil
jackmastertoothpickdisplay.jpg

Very nice indeed, Phil.

Nice Jack, Redshanks. You know, you still see a fair amount of those around for a decent buck, they're probably not as popular as the more colorful or fancy patterns. I like em just fine.

Seeing the variety and volume of awesome knives from you guys only bums me out even more. I don't really have that many pristine pieces. They're all usually used in some fashion. As you know, I key on the Walden open stock and the SCC patterns that are out there. When you see a mint or near mint one come up, you end up selling you first born to afford it. And that just doesn't fit my budget, so I gather what I can.

Well anyway, those are nice knives you all are sharing.

Don't forget, I do yard work...:p

Glenn

Glenn, this jack knife is used but is in pretty good shape. I don't like buying used knives because I usually get burned, but this is a good bit of history and a decent old knife for the 20 bucks it cost.

Okay gang, here are a couple more to add to this mix.

The first one is a SW office knife, 3 7/8" closed, and says Tingulok press blankets on the back.
schrade023.jpg

And you guys know that I like these Imperials. So here's one in a nice brown and cream color.
schrade021.jpg

Glenn

Here is the contents of a package that arrived at my house today.
[URL=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/orvet/File0198.jpg][/URL]

The fixed blade does not have the original sheath. It also does not have a model number. Does anyone know what the model number is or what the knife is called?

Here is a close-up of the tang:
[URL=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/orvet/S-Wtang.jpg][/URL]

Here is the closeup of the tang on the 8OT:
[URL=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d178/orvet/S-W8OT.jpg][/URL]

The other side of the tang is stamped 8OT. Does anyone have an approximate date of manufacture? I know the Schrade Walden stamp was usually not used after 1973, but can someone pin down the date a little closer?

Thanks,
Dale

The #138 "Bowie Hunter" had a 9 3/4" overall length, a saber ground carbon steel 5 1/8" clip point blade, leather washer handle with spacers, curved aluminum bowie style guard, and aluminum flat pommel. The H-15 was a varient of this pattern. It was cataloged in 1957, two years before the introduction of the H-15. It listed for $3.95 in 1962. 1973 ½ was the last year for this pattern, and it listed for $8.00.

One of the most popular Old Timer patterns was the Senior Stockman pattern, the 8OT. The Schrade 8OT Old Timer Senior Stockman which began production in 1959 and marketing in 1960, was introduced in the 1964 catalog for a whopping $5.95. This knife, with the now-familiar brown sawcut Delrin scales (described in the 1964 catalog as "bone Meerschaum") was, I believe the first Schrade Old Timer folder, the slightly earlier 58OT being Ulster tangstamped. In 1970 the handle material name "Genuine Saw Cut Staglon" was first used. The name "Senior" was given first in 1971. The price was $9.60 in the 1973 Schrade Cutlery catalog, $10.75 in 1975, $15.00 in 1980, $23.95 in 1989, $32.95 in 1999, and $37.95 in 2004.

Codger (sorry for cutting and pasting my own rants, but I'm getting lazy!)

Your fixed blade is a H-15.Can't tell which one from the picture.Check the archives there are several good threads on them.Great knife to collect because the price is still low on them.I've got 6 and no two are alike.They came with steel pommel and guards,aluminum pommel and guard,and they were made for Schrade,Imperial,and Craftsman.The sheath is the same as three of mine.Just saw that Codger beat me to posting.Toby

Thanks Codger & Toby.
That helps. I will get to the threads later tonight or tomorrow. We are actially having sonshine today so i gotta get outside & prune the roses with my Schrade pruning shears. :D

Thanks guys!
Dale

No, it is not an H-15. It is a 138. A 144 looks similar as well, but they have different guards, grinds, and handles.

Here is the original ad art... easier to see the grinds.

Here is your "Old School" whazzit for the day. I know. Do you?

Codger

(Edited to insert more detailed I.D. pics)

All I want to say is that one of the questions most asked is what model and pattern was Schrades most sucessful and sold the most. The answer is the 8-OT far and away Schrades most popular and best selling knife. I believe but, may be wrong the the 2-OT preceded the 8-OT. If so I am sure someone will ( happily ) correct me . LT

Cant correct you when your right!
Would the 34OT have been the 2nd best seller?
TTYL
Larry

My info was as of closure however it would seem logical that since one is simply a smaller version of the other they might have been close. LT.

I had heard that the combination of the 34OTA and the 34OT made the 34OT pattern technically the top seller at the end. It appeared the 34OT sales had dropped off because of the anniversary version.

Back