The (New and Improved) old school Schrade thread

Codger,
Here's a closeup of the handle and mark.The spot near the pommel is a brown deposit of dried oil or ? Haven't tried to remove it.:jerkit:

h15han

here's a copy of the oil-soaked paper.It was torn at the fold and I didn't do a good job taping it.:grumpy:

h15pap

Dale,
Thanks! Yes,that was the $25.45 one.:D
Who says eBay prices are too high.
Ron

The two feature knives on that side of the insert are a 147S and a 148S. "S" stands for Staglon which Schrade Walden trademarked in 1963. Those two knives make their appearance the same year, so we narrow the date of your knife to 1963-1969 approximately (assuming the insert is an original part of the package, which it seems to be). Now you have a rough seven or eight year timespan. Does the insert have printing on the other side?

Codger

No,it's translucent and printed only on one side.
It was also oil-soaked but it appears not to have been paper but a cellophane-like material.
It looks like white paper in the picture because I used white card stock as a backer when I scanned it.
I don't have any inserts from earlier than 1990,so I'm not familiar with what was normal.
Ron

I am starting to pull some stuff from the Ellenville exhibit so i thought since I had access before putting it away I would try to get a few decent shots. normally these are under glass an a pain to get at. These are all Schrade Waldens they are all in natural materials. Jigged bone several patterns, smooth bone 2-ot and 8-ot, Pearl, several types of shields various patterns Most all Ulster style Schrade Waldens made in Ellenville prior to 1960 but after the move from Walden in 1956. Most of these are New old stock ( never used ). LT

Hey Glen this is to keep your thread alive while all the celebs are stopping in.

Man...Man, oh Man.....

Have you ever got the goods, LT.:thumbup: :thumbup:

Are you sure you don't have a picture of a Schrade Walden upstairs in your attic that reflects on the aging process of those knives??:eek: :D

Thanks for sharing.

Bill

Pearls, beautiful, gorgeous pearls... Thanks LT! but (sniff, nose up in the air), where is the pearl handled texas toothpicks!!! Are those all original factory MOP knives?

My pitiful contribution is for you fixed blade fans, and those Rambos among the rest of you. The M7S by Imperial. This was thier response to the Rambo movie.. a rework of the USA bayonet they made so many of. Instead of a screw off cap for the all important 'survival goodies', they used pouches affixed to the sheath. This idea... of a big surival knife and sheath attached pouches was adopted by Schrade for a couple of models. But that's for another post.

fortherambosamongus.jpg

All factory. Truthfully who could afford to have them done. I have got a LB-1 that a friend rehandled in pearl when it pops up I will try to show it. LT PS left over pearl from Walden they used it in Ellenville till it ran out around 60.

Here's a Schrade Walden uhh something. Any information you have on this is more than I do.

schradepen.jpg

I take back all the bad things I've ever said about Asians. :) That's nice eye candy, the knife's not bad either.

Redshanks,

That model is based on a very old pattern...but with a few aftermarket upgrades.
Custom bolsters, presentation pearl (y whites), intricate filework (I'm sure), and bright, colorful, hafting. Probably pretty expensive.

Bill

P.S.
Ryan8, I'm sure one or more of the folks here will be able to give you some help...hang in with us.

Predjudiced buggers I never even saw she was asian ( never got that high ). Is your knife a Schrade Walden or a Schrade Cut Co??? Thats first. It could be a Schrade Walden but most likely is the earlier Schrade cut. What did you want to know? it is called a tipper because of the small blosters jigged bone. Under Schrade Walden a variation of a 770 probalbly a 770SHA or similar that is close but not exact there were several . Under Schrade cut M7423T which is what it looks like to me. LT

There is something eye catching about her huh? It must be the brightly colored bikini.

LT it's a Schrade Walden. I was thinking that it was made before the move to Ellenville because of the natural handle material as well as the general style. I was looking for something like dates of manufacture or any trivia. Thank you for the information you've provided.

Sure your knife was made between 46 approx and 1960. Show me a pic of the tang and I would probably be able to guess Ellenville or Walden but my guess is Ellenville. It is a senator pattern. ( It got its name from senator Isodor P Rice many years ago it was the pattern he favored as a pocket knife, he became associated with the knife and the name was given when on the Senate floor a fellow Democrat who was in his 14 hour of a filibuster swallowed a walnut which got lodged in his windpipe and he started choking Senator Rice performed a tracheotomy right there saving his life the knife has since always been referred to a senator pattern knife. the senator recovered and even though being a democrat through continued teaching became smart enough to remember to take walnuts out of the shell before eating them ( This was difficult since he was a distant cousin to Hillary Clinton and as such kept claiming whatever he decided to do was right no matter how stupid it really was.) Senator I P Rice. went on to fame as a manicurist using the finger file of the same knife he saved his friends life with. )

I really had no trivia for the knife and you seemed a bit down so considering the nice picture you posted I made some up. These guys on this forum are really gentlemen imagine being polite enough to look at the girls face. LT ( Ahhh it is going to be a long weekend ).

Thank you, here she be:

schradetippertang.jpg

I meant to say that your collection is truly amazing, the kind of thing I imagine in my dreams. I enjoy your images.

Looks like Walden to me ( no USA). That is my amended guess but then again if I was smart I would be somewhere warm. I guess sooner than later I will be forever. Lt ( possible dates of manufacture 46-56).

Thank you again LT, especially for the trivia. Perhaps some of these senators should be issued nut crackers with instructions, but from what I understand Hillary has no problem cracking nuts.

I'll add a few more knives rather than my usual complaints here.

This is a Delrin 896K like the one Glenn posted in the last thread.

896k.jpg

An Imperial equal-end cattle knife. Truth be told I don't know if this is from before or after Schrade and Imperial were one.

imperialcattle.jpg

An Ulster pen knife. Pre-Schrade.

ulsterpen.jpg

Back