The Next Project

That could be done but the F-S fighting knife would be a pretty difficult build, it's a double edge dagger and the handle looks like it was turned on a lathe which I don't have.
We know a guy with a lathe and really hard wood.
052914-1.jpg

The brass handled one was screaming at my credit card.

Yeah, I saw that just after responding. Wow, those grinds are knuts.

Scott, I'd buy a Kephart from you, just add a Bradford Angier twist in (thumb notches, lanyard hole, and a compass), if'n you don't mind.

I have zero interest in kitchen knives, so much like Chris, would likely pass on such a build.

As to F/S daggers, and A/F's for that matter, IMO, they're pretty much useless for anything other than stabbing or a display piece. I once owned the second or third best A/F collection in the world at the time; second only to Col. Applegate and Bill Harsey - even wrote an article for KnifeWorld mag about the Col.'s wet dream, his fantasy knife.

AF_Yancey_3.jpg

AF_Harsey_1.jpg

AF_Mar_1.jpg

I would buy a Loveless style Redmeadow Drop Point hunter. Short of that, I'm still in for the next build, or to quote Jared, DIBS.

Unrelated, I always felt the Bob had the handles down pat, but his blades lacked a little length. So, for me, a 4" to 4.5" blade for a knife with an OAL of ~9" would fit my vision of a sweet spot...

Love.jpg

Red liners, plz...

Scott, this was Al Mar's first design for Gerber Legendary Blades when he went to work for them back in the mid to late 1970's; A475 (Armorhide aluminum handle, L6 blade) - similar to a Kephart and still one of my favorites after thousands of knives owned. Simplicity, personified...

A475.jpg

The camera flash flare makes it look like there's an abrupt angle to the blade spine drop; there's not, it's a smooth curve downward...

I would buy a Loveless style Redmeadow Drop Point hunter. Short of that, I'm still in for the next build, or to quote Jared, DIBS.

Unrelated, I always felt the Bob had the handles down pat, but his blades lacked a little length. So, for me, a 4" to 4.5" blade for a knife with an OAL of ~9" would fit my vision of a sweet spot...

View attachment 1218818

Red liners, plz...

That would be pretty sweet! I'd love to see some antler-handled Redmeadows!!! :cool:

Scott, this was Al Mar's first design for Gerber Legendary Blades when he went to work for them back in the mid to late 1970's; A475 (Armorhide aluminum handle, L6 blade, sheath by Kiah) - similar to a Kephart and still one of my favorites after thousands of knives owned. Simplicity, personified...

View attachment 1218837

Yes, simplicity in design is what I like about the Kephart after taking another look at it.

Scott, this was Al Mar's first design for Gerber Legendary Blades when he went to work for them back in the mid to late 1970's; A475 (Armorhide aluminum handle, L6 blade) - similar to a Kephart and still one of my favorites after thousands of knives owned. Simplicity, personified...

View attachment 1218840

The camera flash flare makes it look like there's an abrupt angle to the blade spine drop; there's not, it's a smooth curve downward...
I think I remember that Gerber knife come to think of it, there were others as well a Mark 2 dagger, that one I liked but I think that handle would get pretty cold in the winter. I agree with Loveless blade being on the short side, it seems most of his dropped hunters were between 3 1/2" and 3 7/8" in length also.

Sheldon were you looking for something like this but with a Kephart blade? I've seen those small handle compasses somewhere for sale but I can't
remember where, I'll have to look for them.
getimage.php.jpeggetimage-1.php.jpeg

The Kepharts are a full tang design, so the compass is right out unless attached via a lanyard; I was mixing up my outdoorsy guys; but yeah, if you did a Bradford Angier with a black Micarta handle, finger-grooves, NS guard, lanyard hole, and compass, you'd have a big seller. Here's the thing though, so pay real close attention - use a seven spacer stack at the guard, not five spacers, and your sales will likely double. In the Randall world, 7 spacers = pre '72. It's kind of a really big deal...

Photo 77.jpg

If you decide to do a revised BA, take the name, basic design, add your own twist to the blade grind and sheath (and sheath pocket contents), and you'd have a ready-made market. The important things are blade thumb notches, NS hilt, and black Micarta handle with finger grooves lanyard and compass - those are all the hallmarks of a BA. The blade grind shown above was straight-up RMK, and has little to do with a 'Bradford Angier' knife other than blade length. 6" is good, 5" is OK, 5.5" is mo bettah. Hope that helps...

ps. If I was a knife maker, and I'm not, but if I was and wanted to make knives I'd be proud of (and know would sell), I'd look back. So many makers these days are trying to be 'different', making something new out of man's oldest tool, and that's hard, hard to the point that it almost comes down to a cult of personality-like following, moths to a candle. This doesn't need to be the path.

Traditionals have a huge following, simpler knives for simpler times and all that. So, if I was a knife maker (again), I'd look for an untapped, nostalgic market, and tap the f*** out of it. Classic's like a modern Kephart or Bradford Angier are right up that alley. Add some 'notable quotes', reference a book or story, some vintage background photos, stay true to the original concept, and market variations of the original wheel - that would sell.

Add one, and only one, alternative handle material, such as yellow or natural (root beer colored) Micarta handle material as a 'limited', special order, and you'd be golden in short order. Sell the sizzle, not the steak. Besides, your knives are off-the-charts already, quality wise - I'd wager most past customers would step up again.

p.p.s I like quality fruitcake. If you pursue this idea and it works, pm for my shipping address...

I didn't care for Kepharts when I first started seeing them, I thought they were too simple and plain looking. But I'm really starting to like them, I think they have a lot of potential to be really cool. This one is from Bark River, and I'm really starting like the look of these, it's on my short list of to do builds.

View attachment 1218697

I love the kephart design. It's simple and useful. One of the first knives I made was a kephart with wormy Chestnut scales. I think I swapped that to my uncle for something. I think it was an old coca cola bottle

Scott, I'd buy a Kephart from you, just add a Bradford Angier twist in (thumb notches, lanyard hole, and a compass), if'n you don't mind.

I have zero interest in kitchen knives, so much like Chris, would likely pass on such a build.

As to F/S daggers, and A/F's for that matter, IMO, they're pretty much useless for anything other than stabbing or a display piece. I once owned the second or third best A/F collection in the world at the time; second only to Col. Applegate and Bill Harsey - even wrote an article for KnifeWorld mag about the Col.'s wet dream, his fantasy knife.

View attachment 1218814

View attachment 1218815

View attachment 1218839

View attachment 1218818

Red liners, plz...

Nice A/F's!:thumbsup: Would love to have one of the Al Mar versions with wood handle. I have one of the early Blackjack ones, which are known for the handles cracking, but mine is perfect. Also have two Ek coffin-handle daggers that were made with leftover A/F blades/guards...one has a buffalo horn handle and the other is cocobolo.

Back