The NEXT SALE

Ouch. Literally 15 seconds and they're gone.
Makes a Busse Ganzaa look like a leisurely purchase. :eek:

See ya next week then. ;)

That is correct. Been this way for weeks. I'm glad I was lucky enough to grab a field knife a while back......

Congratulations on your new forum! Pre-orders you say? I would like a field knife in blue G10 please. :)

So let me see if I have this correct. The sales tactic is: you are required to put your entire life on hold for the single purpose of purchasing a knife (I have seen these events take place in the middle of the work day), watch a screen as if you are part of a starving pack of wolves, and see who can grab the pieces of meat when they are tossed to the ground. Either these knives have direct lineage to "Caledfwlch" or this is one of the most humorus internet events concerning consumption of goods.

So let me see if I have this correct. The sales tactic is: you are required to put your entire life on hold for the single purpose of purchasing a knife (I have seen these events take place in the middle of the work day), watch a screen as if you are part of a starving pack of wolves, and see who can grab the pieces of meat when they are tossed to the ground. Either these knives have direct lineage to "Caledfwlch" or this is one of the most humorus internet events concerning consumption of goods.

It's not a sales tactic. I build knives during the week, on Fridays I put them up for sale. The idea was they would sell over the weekend, we'd ship on Monday. Rinse and repeat. It's earning a living.

I'm sorry my output isn't more, it's not for a lack of trying. Fewer larger sales? Should I raise my prices? What would you suggest I do?

Fail.

that's definitely one of the dumbest posts I've had the pleasure of reading, outside of W&C. Thanks for you 'thoughts'!

^well, no... I agree with the fundamental premise that acquiring the gear you need would ideally be simple and straight forward with no stress or drama. He's right about that. But how do you do that? I figure you wait until market saturation or pay aftermarket, because I can't just pull these knives out of thin air.

The first rule of trying NOT to sound butthurt, is to NOT give unsolicited advice tainted with one's own hurt feelings.

The man and his Lady both have to eat and pay their bills. I have bought from him twice and both times, I paid on Friday and had my items at my door once on the following Monday and the second time on the following Wednesday. Now if I stepped on some toes and some feelings got hurt in the process, I don't feel the urge to apologize for anything. It is the same darn way that popular items sell on the Exchanges and I don't see anyone complaining about that but when it comes to some people making their livelihood in this industry, some folks get their bloody knickers in a twist just because someone is successful at it and doesn't have to beg / borrow just to do what a man has to do to take care of his own by creating excellent tools for a very hungry market!

I don't wish to come across as an unsympathetic a**hat as I actually do have a pretty strong empathy gene in me but when it comes to people trying to make some of us feel guilty or shame us by telling us that we do not have a life, I change gears to that a**hat status. Cool your jets, be polite and you will get more out of people. I may even give up my turn to someone else, if they asked me politely!

Sales tactic is not dirogatory. Tactic : an action or strategy carefully planned to achieve a specific end. Hence, a sales tactic is a thought out approach on how to sell something. I would believe you thought how should I sell my knives, and you came to the conclusion that this method would work. It does work. It sells your knives from the sound of it in seconds. I do not have any direct experience in trying to attain one, but the board has many responses stating this fact.

I also believe it was neither your intent nor do you derive some kind of bizzare pleasure in having people glued to their screen to try and attain one of your knives. This is simply a testiment to two things: you must be making a very good knife that many people find value in, and those attaining them are willing to wait by their screen with preset typing etc to quickly snatch one up. This later point is borne once again from statements in this very thread.

Possibly a way to actualy reach a wider group of people who could someday attain one is to maintain a list. A very tried and true method of most every custom manufacture across the globe. It allows the largest audience to participate and it treats people in a more dignified manner. I am not implying nor stating that you are treating people with indignity. Rather, that by acknowledging that many people have carreers that preclude them from sitting at a screen at any time of their choosing, raises the level of dignity. The down side is it requires more work on your end. It requires the formation of policies etc. Also, significantly greater burden of communication. I do not know that his is the answer for you. But, I do know that your current sales (what ever word you wish to use) could be improved upon. Meanwhile, I am allowed to find the whole event a bit caotic and in that moment of caos humor.

I'm waiting for market-saturation or a pre-order on that EDC, same as I do with Survive! knives. But in neither case should I or anyone else feel "required" to do so, lots of other options for purchasing knives. Busse's "Hog-trough", I think some of the GSO folk called that a "shark-tank", now we have a "wolf-pack" ... when something is highly regarded and in short supply, human behavior will be presented as some less human analogue *shrug*

I don't wish to come across as an unsympathetic a**hat as I actually do have a pretty strong empathy gene in me but when it comes to people trying to make some of us feel guilty or shame us by telling us that we do not have a life, I change gears to that a**hat status. Cool your jets, be polite and you will get more out of people. I may even give up my turn to someone else, if they asked me politely!
I never state you don't have a life. In fact I state that you are required to put it on hold to participate.

^ Reactions to "Humor," evidently.

"Expectation is the root of all heartache." - William Shakespeare.

I'm willing to give the kid a pass this time, but I only do so with the expectation that he read more and speak less.

Biggambi, don't try to explain yourself out of this- your followup is at least as bad! Instead, I suggest that you apologize for your overly harsh characterization, then sit back and absorb some information. Your opinion isn't as relevant as you seem to think it is.

Or you could go with:

"All great changes are preceded by chaos [with an 'H' in it...]."

Meanwhile, I am allowed to find the whole event a bit caotic and in that moment of caos humor.

Your since of humor is similar to mine.

Years ago I actually did keep a list. I found that it was contributing to my hair loss. If I play to my strengths I'll just stay in the shop and make stuff. If I try to keep a list I'll struggle and ultimately piss people off.

That said, I'm considering a pre-order list on the next run of Field Knives by making a thread here and using that thread as the list, and people could put themselves on the list and even change or cancel their own order without me even being involved in list maintenance. But, it would required a paid membership in order to have the permissions such as PMs and post editing that the concept needs so it would still exclude people.

If someone wanted to change or cancel their order, they'd do it in the original post, not a new post. This simplifies things immensely. And they'd need PMs because email through BF is hit-and-miss and communication problems are often the root of problems.

The first rule of trying NOT to sound butthurt, is to NOT give unsolicited advice tainted with one's own hurt feelings.

The man and his Lady both have to eat and pay their bills. I have bought from him twice and both times, I paid on Friday and had my items at my door once on the following Monday and the second time on the following Wednesday. Now if I stepped on some toes and some feelings got hurt in the process, I don't feel the urge to apologize for anything. It is the same darn way that popular items sell on the Exchanges and I don't see anyone complaining about that but when it comes to some people making their livelihood in this industry, some folks get their bloody knickers in a twist just because someone is successful at it and doesn't have to beg / borrow just to do what a man has to do to take care of his own by creating excellent tools for a very hungry market!

This again is a false premiss. I have not attempted to buy one and I have no feelings involved in this entire matter. I have read about the process as Nathan Carother's knives are held in high regard. So, I have a natural curiosity regarding them. Some of the comments certainly have conjured up some colorful images in my mind as shown by my post. Which was filled with humor that is appears to be completely lost in translation when lacking intonation.

This again is a false premiss. I have not attempted to buy one and I have no feelings involved in this entire matter. I have read about the process as Nathan Carother's knives are held in high regard. So, I have a natural curiosity regarding them. Some of the comments certainly have conjured up some colorful images in my mind as shown by my post. Which was filled with humor that is appears to be completely lost in translation when lacking intonation.

You're articulate and have stated your point clearly and I understand it. Guys, lay off the dude he's not being inflammatory. Seen from a certain point of view, it really is rather bizarre. :thumbup:

Back