The NEXT SALE

I never state you don't have a life. In fact I state that you are required to put it on hold to participate.

OK friend, no problem and I feel a bit badly for unloading. CPK tools are in high demand and I understand the passion but IMHO there is no sinister tactic which is being employed by the CPK toolmaker.

Your since of humor is similar to mine.

Years ago I actually did keep a list. I found that it was contributing to my hair loss. If I play to my strengths I'll just stay in the shop and make stuff. If I try to keep a list I'll struggle and ultimately piss people off.

That said, I'm considering a pre-order list on the next run of Field Knives by making a thread here and using that thread as the list, and people could put themselves on the list and even change or cancel their own order without me even being involved in list maintenance. But, it would required a paid membership in order to have the permissions such as PMs and post editing that the concept needs so it would still exclude people.

If someone wanted to change or cancel their order, they'd do it in the original post, not a new post. This simplifies things immensely. And they'd need PMs because email through BF is hit-and-miss and communication problems are often the root of problems.

It is a good thing to be in high demand and a difficult thing to manage. Having been in a similar position, I found that balancing my own personal strengths and weaknesses with best ways to meet demand difficult. As for the humor, I am glad you see that no ill feelings or duragatory remarks were meant. I actually have conducted business with someone else who speaks very highly of you in the custom knife industry; and, I take him at his word.

Your since of humor is similar to mine.

Years ago I actually did keep a list. I found that it was contributing to my hair loss. If I play to my strengths I'll just stay in the shop and make stuff. If I try to keep a list I'll struggle and ultimately piss people off.

That said, I'm considering a pre-order list on the next run of Field Knives by making a thread here and using that thread as the list, and people could put themselves on the list and even change or cancel their own order without me even being involved in list maintenance. But, it would required a paid membership in order to have the permissions such as PMs and post editing that the concept needs so it would still exclude people.

If someone wanted to change or cancel their order, they'd do it in the original post, not a new post. This simplifies things immensely. And they'd need PMs because email through BF is hit-and-miss and communication problems are often the root of problems.

It will be impossible for you to please everyone, Nathan, so do what works for you and yours. You will know what that is better than we do. Cheers sir.

It will be impossible for you to please everyone, Nathan, so do what works for you and yours. You will know what that is better than we do. Cheers sir.

But he's also very level headed and the phenomenal success has not gone to his head (I am not implying that he was not successful before but the pace of his most recent sales have reached new dizzying heights!) He recognizes the fact that the current system is not sustainable at the current pace and that his further successes may come at the expense of some people getting turned off and a few who are too quick on the draw ending up with more quantities than what can be perceived as fair in a very tight supply curve. I think that he's onto the right idea to also offer a preorder system in addition to the more immediate gratification which will inevitably come at the expense of getting involved with the recently witnessed "feeding frenzy"!

But he's also very level headed and the phenomenal success has not gone to his head (I am not implying that he was not successful before but the pace of his most recent sales have reached new dizzying heights!) He recognizes the fact that the current system is not sustainable at the current pace and that his further successes may come at the expense of some people getting turned off and a few who are too quick on the draw ending up with more quantities than what can be perceived as fair in a very tight supply curve. I think that he's onto the right idea to also offer a preorder system in addition to the more immediate gratification which will inevitably come at the expense of getting involved with the recently witnessed "feeding frenzy"!
Not to mention that it is rarely good practice to be an island unto onseself. Kicking around ideas looking for flaws and strengths, or other methodology to accomplish the same task is usually more productive. Once you stop evolving, you typically are in trouble. Growing pains are a part of a successful business. A great place to find yourself but difficult and filled with humorus moments (at least to me).

Last edited:
Mr. Carothers, I think there is no harm in trying the sales idea and seeing if it works well for you. Some things may need tweeking, it may work quite well as presented, or you may find something you don't like causing you to abandon it. I have always found more is learned from my failures than my successes. Because, with instant success, you tyrpically happen upon it and never really understand the full nature of why. But, finding it through failures allows you to understand the depth of its nature. But, being a physicist my model may differ from yours.

although I know Nate hates being called that.

What I REALLY want to know is, why does everyone/anyone feel they are entitled to a CPK knife? I really don't get it. Someone can say, "Woah look at that mess. Not into it. I'll wait for market saturation to come into effect, or I will find another knife."

I have never lined up for a new Apple product, but I am glad that people do. That way I can go in and get it later when everyone who REALLY wanted one got it so it's slow. And Apple is still selling product and developing it quickly for the early adopters. When I get around to getting one, it will be cheaper and better than the one the first people got.

Go down to Ferrari and tell them you deserve a Ferrari cause you work hard but their sales tactics are lame and maybe they should consider changing them to accommodate your desires. Please record it and put it on YouTube as well.

It's not a sales tactic. I build knives during the week, on Fridays I put them up for sale. The idea was they would sell over the weekend, we'd ship on Monday. Rinse and repeat. It's earning a living.

I'm sorry my output isn't more, it's not for a lack of trying. Fewer larger sales? Should I raise my prices? What would you suggest I do?

Even though I have NO CHANCE of snagging one of your blades during the Friday posts anymore, it's not your fault that things have changed. For you, the better. For me, not so much.

Since you're asking, perhaps a lottry, presale list, or start the sale thread later in the day, or just at a different time than the previous week.

As far as I'm concerned, I only hope that your product quality and attention to detail NEVER CHANGE. aside from that, do as you will. I'll be sure to be on the lookout for one of these bad boys in blue terotuff particularly to match my field knife.

Hopefully I'll be able to grab a couple more of those to for posterity.

Thanks for a kickass product Nathan. Keep it up.

Last edited:
This conversation is starting to feel like it's polluting the intent of this thread which is a place for announcements regarding upcoming sales by Mr. Carothers.

If we want to continue on this train of thought maybe we could start a new thread specifically for the topic. And leave this one clean?

This conversation is starting to feel like it's polluting the intent of this thread which is a place for announcements regarding upcoming sales by Mr. Carothers.

If we want to continue on this train of thought maybe we could start a new thread specifically for the topic. And leave this one clean?

Yeah, that's true, but the announcements will always be the first post, I'll just keep editing it. Pretty much everything past that is just flotsam...

I'm looking forward to trying to snag a field knife too. The current sale time happens at 5am Saturday in my part of the world. What a way to start the day that would be!

Apparently a batch of 80 in the near future! Oh my! My kids will have their field knives to match dad! Cool!

Alright kids, let's get those f5 mashin' fingers ready!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

abaf489e5bf16a121f83e8cb8d07745a.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back