The NEXT SALE

I would love to. In fact, I have a pattern almost ready to go that, with some work, would be a great compliment to the product line.

it's not a money thing, though, it's more a capability and time thing. We've discussed it previously, and I think the idea is to keep production in house as much as possible, which sets an event horizon around the concept.

Things are pretty maxed right now, as you all know, so a folder will probably be a coupla years down the road, if at all.

There is a lot more shit you need to get right with a folder than a fixed blade. Nate, more than anyone I know, is up to the task from a manufacturing quality and design aspect, but with straight knives already in very high demand, the intro of a folder can only come once things stabilize. That's my perspective, Nathan might have another viewpoint to add.

Folder please. If we put some seed money in to get this started.....??

Actually a folder makes a lot of sense for us, we are a machine shop, but finding the time to do the R&D to do a really good one?

Edit: Lorien posted at the same time I did. He articulated my thoughts much better than I did.

well. That was weird.

I could put together some basic shapes and dimensions, rudimentary but accurate, that you could precisely machine.

The foundation of a good folder are the physics of the mechanism, the tolerances and precision in general. All the shaping and messing around with ergos I could do with a file and some elbow grease.

It would be super fun, and it would give me an excuse to get my shit together in the old workshop. I've really enjoyed working with Bing on some folders and I'm sure we could lean on him for advice in a pinch ;)

Ironically, the standard for very high end collectors pieces and art knives might be easier to attain because they don't get carried and they don't get used hard or even used a lot. But a good user grade folder that is actually going to be carried and operate reliably over a long period of time requires a lot of details be done right and there is R&D and long term testing etc. If I had a design ready to go today it might take me a year before I'd be comfortable producing them.

The folder has been on the white board from the beginning. One of these days.

a year it is, then!
I'll have something to you within two weeks :)

Well, I gotta say guys; I'm impressed with both of you, and you are definitely both on the same wavelength.

Now that Chris is no longer at Chris Reeve Knives, and they shit the bed on the last model, big time, I think it's time for someone out there to make yet another attempt at the next step in the folder game.

And I don't mean poorly made, equally priced or sharpened prybars with a pivot. Lots of those out there trying to take the Sebenza off the throne.

Ironically, the standard for very high end collectors pieces and art knives might be easier to attain because they don't get carried and they don't get used hard or even used a lot. But a good user grade folder that is actually going to be carried and operate reliably over a long period of time requires a lot of details be done right and there is R&D and long term testing etc. If I had a design ready to go today it might take me a year before I'd be comfortable producing them.

The folder has been on the white board from the beginning. One of these days.

If you have ever looked at my 10,000 word reviews or comparisons of the Sebenza models you would probably give the idea up hahaha.

The Seb is a good example of a well refined and engineered folder. They age well. You can drop one and it doesn't get wonky. The lock doesn't stick or slip and won't start after a year of use. There are details such as the radius of the grind on the lock face, the angle and clearance and finish, the lock bar geometry, the placement of the lock face to the stop pin to the pivot, the amount of lock face that bears on the blade and that contact point that go into that mechanism that are not intuitively obvious. Making a folder is easy, I've actually done a couple, but making a good folder isn't something I have any experience with.

The Seb is a good example of a well refined and engineered folder. They age well. You can drop one and it doesn't get wonky. The lock doesn't stick or slip and won't start after a year of use. There are details such as the radius of the grind on the lock face, the angle and clearance and finish, the lock bar geometry, the placement of the lock face to the stop pin to the pivot, the amount of lock face that bears on the blade and that contact point that go into that mechanism that are not intuitively obvious. Making a folder is easy, I've actually done a couple, but making a good folder isn't something I have any experience with.

You can also see the evolution of the lock interface moving into ceramic ball, and now grooved tang and ceramic ball etc. There are a lot of ways to go on it, and I do believe it is a much greater challenge than the fixed blade, but I also believe there is not much a Sebenza 25 ( I own 5 of them) can't do that one would normally do with a small fixed blade anyways. Certainly completing trades related tasks, wood processing etc.

The one area I might hesitate is batoning. But on wood that small one generally doesn't need heavy batoning. A good folder is always on a person when a fixed can't be. The convenience can't be matched. I for one am never without a Sebenza, and there is not much I would say I prefer a fixed blade for in something that small. It's a much greater challenge for sure, but also IMO puts a maker on another level when they achieve it. I mean, not everyone wants to be Scott Cook, but I think it's a huge pool with room for more fish.

In my opinion, it's far better to focus core competencies on a narrower market segment than to dilute focus by trying to please everyone. Sure, some people will buy a folder, but will those sales offset fixed blade revenues, improve the bottom line or goodwill any more than an existing, updated, or new fixed offering? What about after sale support like warranty and repairs? I imagine folders are far more time consuming in that regard. So, how would that effect daily operations and net income? Perhaps most importantly, would the net result equate to a happier Jo and Nate?

^well, no... I agree with the fundamental premise that acquiring the gear you need would ideally be simple and straight forward with no stress or drama. He's right about that. But how do you do that? I figure you wait until market saturation or pay aftermarket, because I can't just pull these knives out of thin air.

As a former customer and potential repeat customer, the respectful way you have attempted to handle this issue is much appreciated. While the tone of posters can at times be inappropriate, seeing sellers respond with the same is one of the biggest turn offs I can think of on my end.

On another note, congrats on the success of the sales. I know you put a lot into the work.

I love to snag a Light Chopper in the future. My question is, what forms of payment are accepted? Thanks for any replies.

I love to snag a Light Chopper in the future. My question is, what forms of payment are accepted? Thanks for any replies.

the usual - cash, check, PTR 91FR 308, money order, paypal etc

Thanks,
Nate

Paypal seems to be the standard but I would suggest you PM Nathan and he can give you a complete answer.

You can also see the evolution of the lock interface moving into ceramic ball, and now grooved tang and ceramic ball etc. There are a lot of ways to go on it, and I do believe it is a much greater challenge than the fixed blade, but I also believe there is not much a Sebenza 25 ( I own 5 of them) can't do that one would normally do with a small fixed blade anyways. Certainly completing trades related tasks, wood processing etc.

The one area I might hesitate is batoning. But on wood that small one generally doesn't need heavy batoning. A good folder is always on a person when a fixed can't be. The convenience can't be matched. I for one am never without a Sebenza, and there is not much I would say I prefer a fixed blade for in something that small. It's a much greater challenge for sure, but also IMO puts a maker on another level when they achieve it. I mean, not everyone wants to be Scott Cook, but I think it's a huge pool with room for more fish.

The Seb's that I've owned were engineered very well but I've never been happy with the wear of the blade. A Carothers/Lorien engineered folder with the 3V delta blade could be the perfect folder.

The Seb's that I've owned were engineered very well but I've never been happy with the wear of the blade. A Carothers/Lorien engineered folder with the 3V delta blade could be the perfect folder.

I also complained about the older HT CRK went with being too much towards easy to sharpen and not enough towards edge retention.

I will say I am happy with the new HT CRK is using. It's still easy to sharpen for me, but I don't lose the shaving sharp edge nearly as fast.

I have no issues with my 25s keeping a mirror polish with a weekly stroping. Yes even on S35VN.

Because of the range, it's possible to have an old one on the lower end and a new one on the higher end and see a huge difference but the opposite is true.

If Nathan puts the attention to the fine details in his folder I saw in his daggers, I have no doubt he is capable of selling a limited amount produced on the side in the $800+ range.

He could make one cheaper of course but I don't expect he will rush one together and have it available in the same price range of his fixed at all. Lots of competition in that market already.

fb48dcdc12c483ad1b333f6b4078f3b8.jpg

From Carothers' Knives FB page, posted as of July 2nd:

Thanks everyone! It looks like we are going to have Light Choppers this coming Friday (7/8). There should be Field Knives the week after that. Have an awesome weekend!

Back