The original 1964 Schrade-Walden Old Timer, 34OT Middleman photos.

P1010002.jpgP1010003.jpgP1010004.jpgP1010006.jpgG'day, all the recent discussion re 34OT's made me want to get out my original 1964, 34OT. The whole package has likely only ever been opened a couple of times since manufacture, so should be a mini time capsule with original box/bling/cover.. its the first time I have opened the blades. It was formerly owned by Camillus CEO who had extensive early Schrade collection which I don't think he inspected often, if at all.
The biggest difference, besides size, is the short nail nique on master clip whilst the contemporary 1964 108OT, and the 8OT had the long nail nique/ blade pull...these differences are also depicted in the 1964 Schrade Walden Flyer.....the name 'Middleman' was only bestowed by Schrade in 1971 and likely to signify that it is the 'middle size' stockman between the same three blade configuration 8OT <Senior stockman> and 108OT <Junior stockman>.....it cost $5.95 in the first catalog of 1964.....and the 'Junior' 108OT cost $5.35 when first released in 1964 also....
Amazing that this example has no pin cracks <after 49 years> like many of its contemporaries and is a credit to Schrade Cutlery excellence....Hoo Roo

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Lorry,
How about some better photos; that just looks like a knife in a box.

P1010005.jpg

Sheesh!, Ken I was still uploading photos mate and you're on me like a Blowie on a turd!....are these sufficient?....notice the 34OT stamping on pile side similar to the contemporary 8OT stampings at the time...Hoo Roo

Nice, I have a couple user 34OTs. One of mine is in pretty good shape. It's really cool to see a "brand new" original one. Thanks for un-boxing and sharing.

Larry comes through with the goods once again! Thanks mate! It really helps to see a first issue with all the bling spread out. Much better than looking at old ad copy. Sometime when you are bored and have access to the vault, I'd like to see some upclose pictures of your Sharpfingers all spread out for inspection. I did a bit of Sharpie playtime myself this morning to asess what remains. I am missing some editions and evidently a box on each end of production, firsties and lasties.

View attachment 396733

Sheesh!, Ken I was still uploading photos mate and you're on me like a Blowie on a turd!....are these sufficient?....notice the 34OT stamping on pile side similar to the contemporary 8OT stampings at the time...Hoo Roo

Don&#8217;t do that again, I was so excited to see your 34OT; and then there was no photos.
Up load quicker next time, and answer your phone when I try to phone you&#8230; Ken

I know this picture is not up to snuff, but I did want to show they put these in the tubes too... :)

Here's a different one close up

It had some fancy springs...

A great pattern.

Mike,
Don't tell me they took those Sharpfingers that had deer blood on them and stunk like deer musk ???
You could likely identify any you find in a pawnshop,by their smell!!
Ron

They only got six of those. But most of my Woodsmans. They missed most of my NIB of both patterns, but got the Ted Williams NIB 1964 15OT. I pulled one of the 152OT for this deer last weekend. I did the one before with an Imperial Midget keychain knife just to prove it could be done.

Brought up again in relation to Ken's question regarding the first 34OT......this was owned by the Camillus CEO who had quite a number of first Schrade's in his collection...I have previously showed the first two 15OT's...what is interesting about the first 34OT was that it had the small nail nique unlike all the other Old Timers at that time. definitely Delrin handles....Hoo Roo

Very nice Larry! :)
So, was the 34OT the predecessor to the 8OT? Are they the same size? They look almost exactly alike.
I had to pull my 8OT out for comparison. ;)

Very nice Larry! :)
So, was the 34OT the predecessor to the 8OT? Are they the same size? They look almost exactly alike.
I had to pull my 8OT out for comparison. ;)

The 2OT and 8OT were the first Old Timers. 1961 was the first year for those two patterns. The 108OT came out 1n 1963, and the 34OT in 1964. The 2OT only lasted a couple years, but these other three lasted until 2004.

The 34OT was a 3 5/16" knife, the 8OT was a 4" closed length. :)

Actually I thought the OT line started earlier, as the Dupont Delrin plant wasn't in operation yet, thus the bone handled 8OT in the firsties. Correct me if I am wrong?

The 2OT and 8OT were the first Old Timers. 1961 was the first year for those two patterns. The 108OT came out 1n 1963, and the 34OT in 1964. The 2OT only lasted a couple years, but these other three lasted until 2004.

The 34OT was a 3 5/16" knife, the 8OT was a 4" closed length. :)
Ah, Thanks for the info. :cool:

Actually I thought the OT line started earlier, as the Dupont Delrin plant wasn't in operation yet, thus the bone handled 8OT in the firsties. Correct me if I am wrong?

I think some of us believe that there were a few bone-handled 8 OTs made in 1959. Stewart Taylor is even more optimistic on this question and has released Asian crap commemorating the Old Timer all the way back to 1958. I remember a phrase from my youth "only a twinkle in her eye..." I have in my possession an authentic photograph of me stepping off the stage, in 1959, in the gym of 1918 Baker High School, commemorating my 8th Grade Graduation. So, how cool is that?

I think some of us believe that there were a few bone-handled 8 OTs made in 1959. Stewart Taylor is even more optimistic on this question and has released Asian crap commemorating the Old Timer all the way back to 1958. I remember a phrase from my youth "only a twinkle in her eye..." I have in my possession an authentic photograph of me stepping off the stage, in 1959, in the gym of 1918 Baker High School, commemorating my 8th Grade Graduation. So, how cool is that?

It looks like Schrade made the 2OTs in 1958. The fist price list I can find SW159-J is dated January 1959 – The price to dealers in that list is $27 per doz. In 1961 Schrade price list SW161-J lists the 225, 735 and the 293, all with “Unbreakable Staglon Handles.”
It also lists the 2OT and for the first-time the 8OT, at $27 per doz. In 1962 the 2OT is missing from the price-list, and the 8OT is still listed at $27 per doz.

Did the First 8OTs come in tubes, packed in a box of 12 knives with Bone Handles?
By 1963 Schrade list the 8OT sold as "Also in Bone" There is a lot of un-answered questions still in the history of the 8OT!

In 1963 Schrade list #8147S as a STAGLON Safari Set – and for the first time SW163-J price-list show the 8OT and 108OT * Individually Boxed.
In 1964 Schrade show “34OT, 8OT, 108OT 25OT and 15OT [with] Unique Old Timer Shields – Bone Meerschaum Handles & Deluxe Individual Gift Boxed”. The 8OT is shown with the Sharp-ended-shield. In 1965 Schrade list in SW65-8 the 34OT, 8OT, 108OT 25OT and 15OT all with the “Meerschaum Bone Handles.” Schrade were also using “Black Plastic Handles” in the early 1960’s.
The first time the word “Dalrin” was used, is listed in the registration papers dated 18 August 1953, by E.I. Du Pont De Nemours and Company.

Schrade used “Meerschaum Unbreakable Plastic” and “Black Plastic” in some of their 1961 and 1962 listings.
They also used “Unbreakable Staglon” in the late 1950’s – “Staglon” was regersted by The Imperial Knife Associated Companies, in April 1961.

I got the 1961 dates from the A.A.P.K. research area, All About Pocket Knives. And from looking at the catalogs on the Collectors Site. I don't see any reference for 1959 or 1960, but it seems like I've heard that before. The first 8OT's came in the hinged cedar boxes, as did the 2OT knives. I think the first plastic "View Pack" tubes came out around 1964 or 1965, but not real certain about that.

Adding that the tubes came packaged in a blue cardboard box, with 6 tubes. I've never seen an original bone schrade in a tube. Old Timer or Open Stock.

Last edited:
They also used “Unbreakable Staglon” in the late 1950’s.
By 1963 Schrade list the 8OT sold as "Also in Bone"

Regarding the above two statements, could you please show a scan of those documents or refer us to documents that we could look at, Ken? I have not been able to find anything like either statement in my research.

Was that bulk packed for the dealer, or individually boxed?

Individual cedar boxes for each knife with OLD TIMER printed on the lid, about the size of a recipe box, but don't know how they came.

Back