The original 1964 Schrade-Walden Old Timer, 34OT Middleman photos.

Regarding the above two statements, could you please show a scan of those documents or refer us to documents that we could look at, Ken? I have not been able to find anything like either statement in my research.

Sorry about the "late 1950s" Schrade sold 225s, 735 and 293 with "unbreakable Staglon handles" in 1962 - this would indicate the knives were made in 1961. “Staglon” was regersted by The Imperial Knife Associated Companies, in April 1961.

Now back to the 8OT, this is a knife I would like to known more about. Schrade lists the 8OT in 1961 as sold by the doz to Dealers - why do they list them as "Individually Boxed" in 1963, with the 2OT and not before?
I will have to look for the information regarding the 8OT "also in bone". There is a big dead spot in the history of the 8OT, from day one ??? to about 1964-65. My 8OT came in a "wooden box covered in paper that looks like wood". To date no-one has answered the "Sharp ended shield" question - Why did Schrade show the first 8OT with the other shied? in some of their listings and flyers.

Now back to the 8OT, this is a knife I would like to known more about. Schrade lists the 8OT in 1961 as sold by the doz to Dealers - why do they list them as "Individually Boxed" in 1963, with the 2OT and not before? Individually boxed is what the customer recieved. I think the Old Timers were deemed a special knife, and individually gift boxed wasn't as common as it became soon after they came out with Old Timers. An old Timer or Uncle Henry was always individually boxed (or maybe put in a tube) with literature and sharpening instructions. If it wasn't expressed on every piece of marketing literature, it's because someone didn't write it, but I believe each one did come with a box.

Why did Schrade show the first 8OT with the other shied? in some of their listings and flyers. Very few examples have been produced with the oval shield. I think they illustrated them that way, did a few and then switched to the rectangular OLD TIMER shield. If you look at knife illustrations in many of the old catalogs. They did not update the illustrations for many years, even after they changed the design.

My thoughts on these two questions. If I've learned anything about Schrade knives, it's been a case of inconsistency when it came to documentation, dating, and marketing. I think the early Old Timers, the 8OT and Ulster 58OT and their handle materials are a prime example. And 58OT knives were not usually individually boxed either.

Back