The Perfect Knife?

As Knife Knuts we spend our time, and money, looking for that perfect knife. Often we find it only to have time and technology overtake it. For me my current perfect knife is the Spyderco ParaMilitary PE which is small enough to be carried in an urban environment and large enough to do many tasks of a fixed blade. The compression lock is near perfect, the blade design and S30V steel ensure that it will do most if not all the jobs I ask of it.

So until the next perfect knife comes along I'll stick with the PM - what's yours?

Well, it seems to change frequently, but lately it's been my Victorinox One-Handed Trekker; it's got the convenience of a one-hander, with the extra tools of a victorinox SAK....

At the moment my Northwoods Willow Leaf is my perfect knife. It's the only knife I've ever liked enough to get two.

It has a 4.25" A2 full convex grind drop point blade, and it is an incredibly versatile fixed blade.

It has a highly contoured micarta handle that feels good under all the environmental conditions I've exposed it to, and the fit and finish of the handle and guard is only surpassed by the satin finish of the blade.

For me, MY "perfect knife" is my Benchmade 805s TSEK.

JDBLADE said:
As Knife Knuts we spend our time, and money, looking for that perfect knife. Often we find it only to have time and technology overtake it. For me my current perfect knife is the Spyderco ParaMilitary PE which is small enough to be carried in an urban environment and large enough to do many tasks of a fixed blade. The compression lock is near perfect, the blade design and S30V steel ensure that it will do most if not all the jobs I ask of it.

So until the next perfect knife comes along I'll stick with the PM - what's yours?
I don't think it is possible to have ONE perfect knife. I could come close to needing only two though. In that case, for my two perfect knives, I would, at this time, choose the Calypso Jnr. for one of them and for the other I really can't decide between the SnG and the Sebbie.

The Calypso is a great small knife, easily carried anywhere, I have it clipped IWB even as I write this. Strong, easy to use and a great slicer.

The Seb/SnG, (you choose, I can't), is a very strong, well made knife that is easily carried and capable of just about any knife type task that I'm ever likely to require.

The perfect knife?

$7000 and I haven't found it yet. :grumpy: :D

My perfect balisong would be a Tachyon with a pocket clip, or a slightly smaller BM42SSC (under 4"). My perfect auto would be a longer, lighter Lightfoot or a narrower Terzuola. My perfect secondary carry would be a serrated Atlantic Salt, but with the 1" of plain edge like on some Rescue 93mm.

That's why I'm learning to make knives. So I can make My Perfect Knife(s). Of course, I'll probably end up making several dozen of these anyway and still not be satisfied. :rolleyes:

My perfect knife is the Victorinox Settler. No tools, just large and small blades. It bumped a small Sebenza out of my pocket. ;)

Paul

Spyderco Military - My "perfect" folder for the last 5 years.

Theese days: BM Mini AFCK with M2-Blade, partielly serrated - and may be later on ( I am waiting for it :confused: !!! ) the Tim Wegner Professional Hunters Knife, G-10, partielly serrated .

Stefan

Right now it's gotta be the Dodo, I'm only at 9 pieces so far [edit: scratch the 9, it's 8 cuz I recently lost my Charge :barf: what a piss off :mad: ], and only 1 I don't use.

Just like firearms, cars, motorcycles, etc., there is no such thing as a "perfect" knife.

Knives fill a specific need and / or duty. No one knife can do it all. :rolleyes:

Pick a specific knife for a specific job.

After receiving a fixed blade from Roger Linger
campknife1_3.jpg

my days of looking for a camp knife are over. D2, 1/4" stock, tapered tang, pro heat treat 'to die for' Exhibition grade Desert Ironwood scales and a beautiful sheath by Jamie Briggs (includes a Firesteel pouch and Firesteel) that I put to my nose to get a good wiff of quality leather.

The folder is a little different, I sell knives and as a rule prefer folders, so I have a pretty wide range to choose from. At the moment I think the Cocobolo T2 from Lonewolf is at the top of the production made ranks. The Manix, BM Resisitor and Presidio are hot on its heels though. For a custom folder I have a DMKnives Persuader in Dersert Ironwood, S30V and Ti liners.

So, the perfect knife really must be of each type. Folder and fixed.

It depends on what type of knife we're talking about--after all, you can hardly compare a Swiss Army knife to a "tactical" folder.

When it comes to "tactical" folders (meaning one-hander, pocket-clip folders) my perfect one is probably the...

Spyderco G-10 Police.

It's rides in the pocket with ease, it is not too heavy, has a very reliable and strong lock, has good blade-steel (ATS-55), has a very strong pocket-clip, has a long full-grip comfortable handle, the blade is flat-ground and thin and slices like crazy, the thumb-hole works 100% everytime, and the G-10 scales are nearly indestructable.

I only wish that it did'nt have the word "Police" on the blade.

Allen.

My perfect fixed blade knife is a design of my own, made for me by a very talented knife maker from Mendoza, Argentina. It has a 5" drop point blade, quite broad and thick at the spine, full tang. The handle slabs are made from the same wood my greatgrandfather used to build his first house when he came over from Europe.
I've really abused it, and it still looks like the day I got it.
Of course, I need more knives to keep him company.

A perfect folder is a bit more dificult. I'm still looking for it. My problem is that my taste keeps changing. A month ago I was into one-hand openers, like Spyderco and BMs, now I'm buying more traditional lock-backs (I found a handmade Spanish one, with a beautiful drop point blade, the I'm EDCing) and SAKs, three months ago I was getting into assisted openers. The guys at the local knife shops love me.

to the little TOPS Prairie Fox. Small enough to hang on my keychain, stout enough to do anything you can do with a two finger knife, very quick to deploy. It's not "perfect" but I like it enough that I haven't traded it off.

Frank

For a few years, not sure how many, my Spyderco Military was my perfect folder and as such, it was my constant companion. I had never found anything better for me......until.....I decided on buying my first Sebenza(Large Reg) and now the Millie just sits in my gear bag.

The Sebenza may seem too overpriced for some, but after carrying it for a few weeks, IMO it is well worth the money. The beauty of the Sebbie is its' simplicity of design....less parts, less things that can go wrong. The best feature of all though is the ability to completely dissassemble it for cleaning/maintenance and not void the warranty.

Could the Sebbie ever be replaced with another knife, just as the Military was? I honestly don't know. However, for now this knife is my Excalibur.....:cool:

attachment.php

Back