The Perfect Knife?

Shadow213 said:
For a few years, not sure how many, my Spyderco Military was my perfect folder and as such, it was my constant companion. I had never found anything better for me......until.....I decided on buying my first Sebenza(Large Reg) and now the Millie just sits in my gear bag.

The Sebenza may seem too overpriced for some, but after carrying it for a few weeks, IMO it is well worth the money. The beauty of the Sebbie is its' simplicity of design....less parts, less things that can go wrong. The best feature of all though is the ability to completely dissassemble it for cleaning/maintenance and not void the warranty.

Could the Sebbie ever be replaced with another knife, just as the Military was? I honestly don't know. However, for now this knife is my Excalibur.....:cool:

attachment.php

:p :p :p

...and I want both of them!Well I can certainly collect knives but women....too dangerous I would rather dance a polka in a minefield. :cool:

The "perfect" knife is in the mind of the individual. Isn't it what keeps us going - the search for the perfect knife. To say there is no perfect knife is to destroy the hopes and aspirations of us all.

My Large Classic Sebbie used to be my "perfect knife" but I traded up to a lighter weight knife with a better lock which is now my new "perfect knife". Put about $300 in my pocket on the trade too which is never a bad thing. My new perfect knife is the Large Ritter Grip.

Beauty_slate_03_rotated_cropped-hm1.jpg

JDBLADE said:
To say there is no perfect knife is to destroy the hopes and aspirations of us all.

Probably true, and I may be deluding myself, but my obsession centers more in getting the most elegantly designed tool for the money in each knife category, e.g. (CQB for fighting, sebenza folder, bark river hunter, victorionox multiblade, fallkniven survival, etc.)

Another type of obsession can center around constantly upgrading your stable of EDCs, rotating in and out, trading off and lending, ever upward.

Still others search for the simplicity of childhood and nostalgic times in old springbacks, rather than cling to the latest fad.

Our obsessions are many and ultimately expensive, and I sound like a complete geek, but ain't life grand? :D

No such thing as a "perfect" knife for me (must be that church upbringing of mine--can't call much of anything perfect). HOWEVER, I do have knives that are definite favorites.

My number one? A black coated Strider SLCC (small fixed blade). Had another SLCC with a wicked "nightmare" grind several years ago...loved it, but the way I carried (IWB), sweat/rust was a problem--wore it in the tropics and that didn't help. With the black coating, this is no longer an issue.

Former number one for work (honorable mention): an all black SnG. Love that knife.

Still number one for "dress up"?: my Buck Mayo TNT. Nope, not the real thing (hopefully someday:)) Helps that it is sentimental--my wife remembered my commenting on the knife in a knife shop and she came back another time and bought it for Christmas two years ago :cool: Love the sharpness of that blade--enough that I sold my large Sebbie in favor of this as my "dress" knife.

Don't you love the knife world...so many tastes and so much is evolving.

Glenmore

Honestly, what has the Sebenza that inspires love in her all?
It is one of the razors that more I like, but I would not be able to say why.
:)

The perfect knife / knives for me are the ones that I am not overly concerned about loosing, dropping, sratching, giving away or breaking. Their are many beautiful knives that I would love to add to my collection, that I avoid buying, due to the above. I try to convince myself that a knife is a tool and thus needs to be used as such to justify the expense.

I'll have to go with the CRK Mnandi. It looks like a gentleman but cuts like a mutha...... . ;)

After much internet surfing,mostly in BladeForums,your post spurred me to add a Sebennie(is that what you Sebenza owners call them?)to my next month's knife order list.I have mostly fixed blades but love good folders,I have 12 folders(not counting 110's)and the Sebenza would be lucky 13.KARMA?Sorry,not trying to hi-jack your thread,just got caught up in it........I'll quit typing now

The term is "Sebbie". Sebenza enthusiasts are called "Sebenzanistas". ;)

Paul

hmm after thinking about it the most useful knife i have is also one of my cheapest.
leatherman side clip. during the summers its all i carry. i work for an ice company. the screw drivers and pliers come in handy when having to do quick work on refrigeration equipment. i also use it at work when painting. much quicker having a screwdriver in your pocket when opening paint cans than digging around a dirty work bench.

i would agree with the rest of you when saying that it depends on the job.

I'm with glockman on this one, I've yet to own a better knife than my Benchmade 805.

Seems like one has to categorize a bit. SAK for lightweight multiple tool carry, one-hand locking blade for quick easy deployment, a nice looking slipjoint for when around sheeple and not in a hurry, Leatherman-like multi-tool for doing semi-serious work on the fly, etc.

Given those self-ordained categories :D , my "perfect" knives are:
- Victorinox Super Tinker (with added $1.50 standard hardware store key "clip" to keep it attached to my shorts/sweatpants pocket)
- Spyderco Kopa, or Calypso Jr.
- Case Seahorse Whittler
- Leatherman Pulse

I've been looking for the perfect knife for as long as I've had knives. Still haven't gotten there.

Everyone raved about the CRK Sebenza a few years ago, so I saved up some money and bought one. I EDC'd it for a few weeks until I decided that it wasn't the perfect knife. I like it a lot, it's a beautiful knife, but it's just not right for me. In terms of its quality, workmanship and fit and finish, it's damn near perfect but I like others better.

I've carried a Buck 110 all my life and it's pretty close to perfect too.

For the last year I've EDC'd a Kershaw Vapor II, it's the cheapest knife I own but the closest to the perfect knife for me. It locks up solid like the Sebenza, but has, in my opinion, a much better handle design.

I just ordered a Camillus Heat to try out as a new EDC, so we'll see how that goes (it'll be the first new liner lock I've had in years). I've yet to break down and buy a Benchmade, but my next big purchase will probably be a BM710. Or maybe a Spyderco Manix. I don't like Spyderco (the hole irritates me) but the Manix looks like a good knife, and isn't so expensive that I would feel bad not using it often or sticking it somewhere as a backup knife if I needed one.

But if you really want the perfect knife, it would be the knife that works the best in a given situation. Out in the woods, my RTAK is damn near perfect and if it's too big I've got a Ka-Bar on my belt (or pilot's knife on my leg).

I've found the perfect one about a dozen times...........only to find a more perfect one later. I have been through enough now to say with almost certainty that the perfect knife is a Rick Hinderer Firetac Extreme. It has all the things I wished an XL sebenza would have.

The Firetac Extreme looks like a razor made with industrial methods (and great series). Nevertheless, the price is higher than that the Sebenza's. If the Sebenza is so expensive because his production is almost handcrafted, why is so expensive the Firetac?
As for materials, there does no seem to be great difference between both, so I do not understand why it cannot be cheaper a razor with wider production.
:confused:

One problem is that knives are tools, and there is not a tool that will fit every job perfectly. Sometimes you need a flat-head, and sometimes you need a phillips. But that doesn't stop me from looking.

The best approach, as someone has alreday posted, would be to learn how to make the dern thing myself. But where am I gonna find the time? Also, could I ever be as good at it as a full-time pro? Wouldn't it be easier to keep my day job, and find a superb knifemaker who is willing to sit down and talk about what you want, and help you think through it, and then make it for you? It amazes me that these guys exist. They are really willing to do that, and all they ask in return is money. So I have one or two perfect knives, and expect at least one other before Blade. I betcha that I might be able to find one or two perfect knives at Balde as well. that's why I'm going.

Hi jmCaz. The standard Firetac is the same size as a large Sebenza and can be had for $325.00 to $375.00, which is in the same price range. The Extreme Firetac is a super sized Firetac with heavy-duty applications, as a result it is a bit pricier than the standard model. :D :D :D

btw, the Firetacs are pure custom, while the Esbenza is a semi-custom. Either one is a great knife and one that will last a lifetime and be handed down for a few generations.

Back